Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firemen or Firefighters?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Please,i post with no agenda. I say thanks to those who have lost thier lives at Ringmer. Maybe i am wrong?
To me me you are a FIREMAN POLICEMAN OR AMBULANCE MAN. your sex does not matter to me. Job titles MEAN NOTHING.what you do DOES. :albion:

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
the correct term is firefighters

thread closed

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why is the correct term 'Firefighter' unless one wishes to blur any biological differences between men and women?

Fireman or Firewoman. Why should job titles not allow for two different genders? After all there are two sexes in the world.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
only1robbiereinalt said:
the correct term is firefighters

thread closed

why do ours lives have to be so americanised (note spelt with a S not a Z) its should be firemen and firewomen

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why on earth would anyone want to say "firemen and firewomen" in preference to "firefighters"? People who like the sound of their own voices I would guess and who love using three words when one would do.

I have ancestors who were firemen. They worked in iron foundries and their job was to ensure that there was enough heat available for the manufacturing process.

Firefighters do a quite different job that is well described in that job title.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lord Bracknell said:
I have ancestors who were firemen.

My dad was a fireman - on steamtrains - he was the one in charge of the fire, putting in the coal, keeping a good head of steam etc, in fact I believe he was fireman on the last steam train out of Brighton station.

But I still call firemen firemen not firefighters

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here