[TV] fire stick

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Amazon cube purchased and the buffering is still as bad? Do you think its a provider or wifi issue? Download is 43.55, upload 11.88.
@prawnsarnies @Mortdecai any ideas. Did I make the wrong move with the cube?

Last edited:

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Unfortunately, I know very little about the cube. However, I am aware that providers maintain that the majority of issues are with Firestick users. That being said, there are a few guys that swear by it. Since it's considered "entry level" maybe all the "bloat" needs to be removed. Take all the clutter away from it so that it is just your IPTV app, Downloader, VLC and maybe YouTube.

If you able to change your media player that may help. VLC, for instance, is a great add-on should you have issues and it's easy to find subtitles should you need them.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The buffering on my Firestick has almost disappeared since I gave it some proper power. I used to just use the TV's USB socket to provide the power but changed it to a separate power supply using an Amazon plug USB adapter (pure coincidence as it was lying around, could use any) .

Coincidence ? who knows.

Amazon product

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've been using IPTV [team Gwi anyone] for 3 years.
I have two 4k Fire sticks, both use mains plug-in power supply.
One runs off wired ethernet, the other 2.4GHz wi-fi

I do get buffering, whether I'm using VPN or not.
A broadband speed check tells me I'm getting 35+ MBS at the router
I'm aware most streaming [like iPLAYER] only needs about 2 MBS to run smoothly.

My conclusion is that breaks [small drop-outs] in the IPTV stream must be due to the service provider ...

But if someone has a tip, always have my ear cocked - PM me if you prefer

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Unfortunately, I know very little about the cube. However, I am aware that providers maintain that the majority of issues are with Firestick users. That being said, there are a few guys that swear by it. Since it's considered "entry level" maybe all the "bloat" needs to be removed. Take all the clutter away from it so that it is just your IPTV app, Downloader, VLC and maybe YouTube.

If you able to change your media player that may help. VLC, for instance, is a great add-on should you have issues and it's easy to find subtitles should you need them.
Cheers. I connected via an ethernet cable and had 2 buffers throughout and didn't miss a goal. No fing and blinding at the TV. Seems the cube results much more solid connection.👍

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I've been trying to work out how to do this direct throught the browser on a smart TV, no sticks or cubes needed, heard of an app called homebrew but not that tech savvy, pretty sure there's a way you can watch all your apps for free by 'Jailbreaking' them. work in progress

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Does anyone experience constant buffering? Would this be to do with the fiestick or broadband speed?
Is there anyway to record IPTV?
Try clearing the cache on your firestick, also check your broadband speed, if you are using a VPN turn it off as it might be conflicting the VPN on the server
You cant really record IPTV to a firestick as it has very little memory

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve been getting buffering despite a very strong and fast wifi signal. Tried one of the Amazon adapters that allows you connect via an Ethernet cable and that seems to stop the fire stick from booting up, it just cycles through its start up process. Is a 4k fire stick really going to make much of a difference?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Currently sitting in a hotel in Southampton and took our travel firestick with us, this is a firestick lite. Plugged it in to the hotel TV and got the game earlier, no issues.

I do have a very good supplier and have been with them about 3 years. Found myself chopping and changing until I found one I liked at the beginning.

Firesticks I generally have over WiFi, the cube is plugged into the router for more stabity.

What's the difference between 2.4gz and 5gz, is it better to be higher or lower? I can amend this through our virgin media app, but wasn't sure what it does.

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
What's the difference between 2.4gz and 5gz, is it better to be higher or lower? I can amend this through our virgin media app, but wasn't sure what it does.
Imagine a torch which has an adjustable lense spreading the light.

The wider the beam: more light but less distance = 5ghz, greater speed but less range.

Where's a narrow beam: greater distance but spread of light is narrower = 2.4ghz, slower speeds, but greater range.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I’ve been getting buffering despite a very strong and fast wifi signal. Tried one of the Amazon adapters that allows you connect via an Ethernet cable and that seems to stop the fire stick from booting up, it just cycles through its start up process. Is a 4k fire stick really going to make much of a difference?
I found that cycling at start up was cured by using a decent power supply, not the TV's USB outlet.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My FireStick used to stream flawlessly. For the last couple of weeks though, after a couple of minutes it buffers and will not stop unless you change the channel. You only have to flip it right back and it works for another couple of minutes.

I'm using NordVPN and suspect it may be the culprit. Anyone else experiencing something similar? If not, which VPN are you using?
If your with GWi drop him a message he will restart your account

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports