Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[News] Finland in NATO

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm responding to your quote in this thread instead to avoid derailing an important thread.

Some Swedes are very happy to join NATO. I'm not. As I said, NATO is imperialistic and invasive and I wan't to be no part of it.

Normally and historically, the Swedish people doesn't want it either, but the ruling family here saw the opportunity to use the fear in February and told their ("our") government to join. Personally, I've been against the idea always and will remain anti-NATO.
Right ā€¦Iā€˜m someone who served in the 80ā€™s and still has dealings in the defence industry. The Uk and the vast majority of other countries in NATO training strategy is one predominantly of defence and not attack. If it was imperialist and invasive then theyā€™ve got the strategy wrong.
interestingly Iā€™ve worked with former East German pilots and they were surprised at how defensive NATO was. It should be noted that the Warsaw Pact nations had similar strategies.

If NATO was as you imply then the Nordic nations would already be in NATO ā€¦.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
re Serbia are you actually supporting the genocide they inflicted?
There is as little evidence of a genocide in Kosovo as there's evidence that Ukraine is ruled by nazis.

Most likely, NATO killed more civilians in Kosovo than Milosevic did.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Yes, people who live in NATO nations usually seem to think that.

People who gets their nations bombed by NATO nations often have a different opinion.
I live in a country that was bombed by the IRA that the poor innocent Gadaffi supplied with Semtex and countless other weapons and backed them with millions in cash. He backed terrorism all over the West, concluding in his bombing of a nightclub in Munich full of U.S servicemen.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
SannaMarin.png

Oh, sorry, what was the question?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Right ā€¦Iā€˜m someone who served in the 80ā€™s and still has dealings in the defence industry. The Uk and the vast majority of other countries in NATO training strategy is one predominantly of defence and not attack. If it was imperialist and invasive then theyā€™ve got the strategy wrong.
interestingly Iā€™ve worked with former East German pilots and they were surprised at how defensive NATO was. It should be noted that the Warsaw Pact nations had similar strategies.

If NATO was as you imply then the Nordic nations would already be in NATO ā€¦.
Yeah usually when NATO goes and bombs countries abroad, they leave the NATO flag at home. Still usually the same nations. But as mentioned, there has been exceptions when they indeed decided to bring the NATO flag along.

The Nordic nations are pretty much already members, just signatures lacking. NATO has been practicing bombing in Sweden for about a decade now, usually along with the Swedish army.

The only thing missing from us actually formally joining NATO now is that Erdogan demands Sweden to extradict Kurdish peace activists so that there's one less voice questioning Turkish oppression against Kurds.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I live in a country that was bombed by the IRA that the poor innocent Gadaffi supplied with Semtex and countless other weapons and backed them with millions in cash. He backed terrorism all over the West, concluding in his bombing of a nightclub in Munich full of U.S servicemen.
I'm not saying Gaddafi was innocent, just not more guilty than anyone else really. There's very few countries not funding terrorism. Yours and mine definitely is, but I don't think we should get bombed for that. Similarly I don't think Gaddafi and Libya should have been bombed and state couped either.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yeah usually when NATO goes and bombs countries abroad, they leave the NATO flag at home. Still usually the same nations. But as mentioned, there has been exceptions when they indeed decided to bring the NATO flag along.

The Nordic nations are pretty much already members, just signatures lacking. NATO has been practicing bombing in Sweden for about a decade now, usually along with the Swedish army.

The only thing missing from us actually formally joining NATO now is that Erdogan demands Sweden to extradict Kurdish peace activists so that there's one less voice questioning Turkish oppression against Kurds.
NATO as an organisation is defensive by its strategy and training. End off. The 2nd Gulf war was very questionable and itā€™s unlikely to be repeated but it still doesnā€™t get way from the fact that NATO is defensive.

Your issue is that you donā€™t like the West and look for any excuse to trash it which is your prerogative however in this case you are wrong.

Your view seems to be ā€œPutin invading Ukraine is naughtyā€œ, however states neighbouring Russia joining NATO because they donā€™t trust the psychopath is evil and is Western Imperialism šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
NATO as an organisation is defensive by its strategy and training. End off. The 2nd Gulf war was very questionable and itā€™s unlikely to be repeated but it still doesnā€™t get way from the fact that NATO is defensive.

Your issue is that you donā€™t like the West and look for any excuse to trash it which is your prerogative however in this case you are wrong.

Your view seems to be ā€œPutin invading Ukraine is naughtyā€œ, however states neighbouring Russia joining NATO because they donā€™t trust the psychopath is evil and is Western Imperialism šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø.
Every country labels there military foce as "defense" and that doesn't make it true, as we can clearly see all over the world.

I think states are mainly joining NATO for economical reasons. That the family ruling Sweden came out very early after the invasion saying that joining the NATO would be great for business is probably not unique for Sweden.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Finland and Sweden should have NATO street parties when they are warmly welcomed into the NATO family of defensive nations.

Swanny, will you be attending yours?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Finland and Sweden should have NATO street parties when they are warmly welcomed into the NATO family of defensive nations.

Swanny, will you be attending yours?
Oh yeah can't wait to be in an alliance with Erdogan, Orban and whatever lettuce you have in charge right now.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
As ever, Mr Swansman has made me think a bit harder about NATO, especially with respect to its intervention in Libya. Clearly that did not fall under the guise of mutual protection of member states. However the UN (as distinct from NATO) has a Responsibility to Protect where it sees populations needing protection from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleaning, and crimes against humanity. With respect to Libya, thatā€™s what it saw (UN resolution 1973). NATO can then be the UNā€™s proxy. I happen to believe that NATOā€™s intervention in Libya was a fair example of that type of intervention, and contradicts Mr Swansmanā€™s hyperbolic claims about NATO being ā€œimperialistic and invasiveā€. However, I do now realise, on my part, I shouldnā€™t use the ā€œitā€™s only a defensive organisationā€ trope without qualification.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here