Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Finest night in 122 years"

Greatest ever day in Brighton's history?

• Yes

Votes: 92 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 112 54.9%

• Total voters

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
It's subjective.

For me it has to be Anfield on a Sunday afternoon in 1983, we beat a great team, who were used to winning and in a historic stadium.

Last night was momentus (is that even a word?) and I watched it on TV - I was there, at Anfield in 1983. So like I say, it's subjective.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
For me it’s arguably the most historic but not the best simply because Ajax are a very poor side and the odds showed we should have won the game.

For me the greatest was the 4-0 win over Manchester United under Potter. That was the culmination of everything we had been building and was an absolutely phenomenal performance. It could have maybe should have been 6/7 that night.

I watched the Man United game with my dad and it was a moment neither of us ever thought we would see. That was the moment we went from a team that would always look to survive in the PL to a team that could really do things. We have never looked back.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
For me it’s arguably the most historic but not the best simply because Ajax are a very poor side and the odds showed we should have won the game.

For me the greatest was the 4-0 win over Manchester United under Potter. That was the culmination of everything we had been building and was an absolutely phenomenal performance. It could have maybe should have been 6/7 that night.

I watched the Man United game with my dad and it was a moment neither of us ever thought we would see. That was the moment we went from a team that would always look to survive in the PL to a team that could really do things. We have never looked back.

Can't get the gif to work, but the image of Ronaldo laughing at this own team as our third goal went in had the same sense of disbelief that I had at the Amex that day. It was like the joyous end of an eighties teen comedy when the underdogs win the day, the geek gets the girl and the arrogant upper class bully gets his comeuppance.

1699616480896.png

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Beating Millwall 4-1 in the play-offs, 1990/91 was my very first WOW! match as a little nipper on a Sunday lunchtime but last night shows how far the club has come and I see no reason why we can't go on to win the Europa League - just imagine  that! It's hard to think of anything better than last night. Outplayed one of Europe's elite (in terms of history) and the production line of talent in the squad is only getting stronger.

We can top last night and have many more incredible evenings - it's only just beginning. :O

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Beating Ipswich and WBA in the League Cup when we were a Div3 team
Were probably our biggest achievements in footballing terms
Both those sides were much better than us at the time

Ajax was a good result but we beat them comprehensively only 2 weeks ago and we are the better team right now
That said,last night historically for our football club was our greatest night

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Beating Ipswich and WBA in the League Cup when we were a Div3 team
Were probably our biggest achievements in footballing terms
Both those sides were much better than us at the time

Ajax was a good result but we beat them comprehensively only 2 weeks ago and we are the better team right now
That said,last night historically for our football club was our greatest night
Yes. Undoubtedly last night was an historic night. Our first away win in Europe and it was against European royalty, the mighty Ajax Amsterdam. Undoubtedly a fantastic achievement.

But our finest night? For me personally I'm going to say 'no'. Firstly because, as fantastic as it may have sounded even only five years ago, we were favourites. I think beating West Ham away in our first season in the PL was more of an achievement. As you said those games in 76/77 against Ipswich, West Brom (and home against Derby) were fantastic achievements because we were two divisions below them. And who can forget that final home night game against Sheff Wed? All of them played at a packed, heaving and passionate Goldstone.

Secondly it is an age thing. I was only nineteen in that season, and it was the first season where I went to nearly every game home and away. It was all new and exciting. I'm sure any nineteen year olds who went to Amsterdam will feel exactly the same when they look back, and they are quite entitled to say it was the 'finest night'

PS - I'm ignoring Hereford, Newcastle 1979, the Cup Final, etc as they weren't night games.

PPS - I didn't go which might also account for my views!

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Yes. Undoubtedly last night was an historic night. Our first away win in Europe and it was against European royalty, the mighty Ajax Amsterdam. Undoubtedly a fantastic achievement.

But our finest night? For me personally I'm going to say 'no'. Firstly because, as fantastic as it may have sounded even only five years ago, we were favourites. I think beating West Ham away in our first season in the PL was more of an achievement. As you said those games in 76/77 against Ipswich, West Brom (and home against Derby) were fantastic achievements because we were two divisions below them. And who can forget that final home night game against Sheff Wed? All of them played at a packed, heaving and passionate Goldstone.

Secondly it is an age thing. I was only nineteen in that season, and it was the first season where I went to nearly every game home and away. It was all new and exciting. I'm sure any nineteen year olds who went to Amsterdam will feel exactly the same when they look back, and they are quite entitled to say it was the 'finest night'

PS - I'm ignoring Hereford, Newcastle 1979, the Cup Final, etc as they weren't night games.

PPS - I didn't go which might also account for my views!
That Sheff Wed game was incredible.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Most prestigious win ever, but not the most important. Apparently the Heineken factory made quite a few of these today 😃

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think there’s a big, big difference between how it looks to us (great night, nice to win but probably expected to against a poor Ajax side and did so without being at our best) and the rest of the footballing world (small club first time in Europe humbles a true giant of the game on their own turf).

In several years time, the fact Ajax are a bit crap will be forgotten and it’ll be remembered simply as the night one of our own fell into a canal :smile:

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Think there’s a big, big difference between how it looks to us (great night, nice to win but probably expected to against a poor Ajax side and did so without being at our best) and the rest of the footballing world (small club first time in Europe humbles a true giant of the game on their own turf).

In several years time, the fact Ajax are a bit crap will be forgotten and it’ll be remembered simply as the night one of our own fell into a canal :smile:
Well we'll never beat them at dike jumping :ohmy:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I was living in Canada at the time. The game wasn't even shown live. Shockwaves, my arse.

Anyway, our greatest night in my opinion is what is greatest in my mind, not the mind of some nob in Singapore who is upset 'his' team only drew with Briton Albion (something).
I was living in Canada at the time and the game definitely was shown live. I watched it with my dad who was visiting. CBC initially said they wouldn't show it but relented after getting lots of complaints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here