figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Ring of bright water.
Scared me for life as a child

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I once phoned Rick Astley to ask if he could donate some of his vast DVD collection for a charity auction.

He said "I can give you Bambi, Finding Nemo and Minions, but I'm never going to give you Up!"
It's the Rick Astley paradox.

Imagine you ask Rick to lend you his Blu-ray of only of the second animation to ever win best picture at the Oscars.

He's never going to give you Up!

In doing so he's going to let you down.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Debbie does Dallas at Christmas

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Already mentioned:
ET
West Side Story (but has to be the original film).

Not yet mentioned:
Empire Of The Sun

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never go for the obvious gag, Q. Your material has gone down the pan of late, are you employing a different team of writers?

???
Too right. Anal Dwarves would have been a lot funnier. But then you can’t really say “dwarf” these days without setting them off. :wink:

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Silent Running
Boooom! What a film...
Saw it as a little boy back in the 70s then rented it on video in the 90s to watch with my then girlfriend.
Joan Baez's voice on the soundtrack just cut through me and made me somehow tap into my childhood self.
I went to absolute pieces and was inconsolable for the whole evening.
Very moving film, if a bit bleak. Very hippyish due to the time of making but relavent to now.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Don't BLUB to it - it is more wistful than that, but The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp is about to start on BBC2 at 2PM.

A War Film going from the Boer War to WW2, but it is more of a reflection upon Youth, Age and Friendship. A brilliant performance from Roger Livesey.

Churchill hated the Film and was appalled that the German character was portrayed as moral and upright.

In retrospect Churchill probably saw a lot of himself in Blimp...

Last edited:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Cinema Paradiso; I just have to hear the music and I start. Also when I saw the remake of West Side Story at the cinema last year I had a very soggy face mask at the end.
Yes thats what I was thinking of too, maestro Ennio Morricone and his son co-wrote the score so evocative of childhood and lost love.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here