Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Since the birth of mini-Meade tensions have unstoppably grown between his mother and I. We each love him so dearly, but our identities seemed to tiredly detach, or that which didn't match before for so long was shriekingly more apparent in the exhaustion, and we haven't the energy or spirit to battle the battles. It's horrible really, whilst at the same time the happiest point of her life, to have him there and cherish his every sweet breath, whilst mine are more repugnant. I, of course, have the larger share of blame for this, and i wish i could have done things differently, more understandingly, more overtly lovingly.
I speak of this for having seen The Marriage Story today, and seeing some parts of it reflect moments i live through. There are bits that really hit hard in Scarlett Johannson and Adam Driver's collapsed relationship, flashes of their incurable resentment and little flickers of how deep down they still love each other despite it. As a film, and reading of how it is basically Noah Baumbach's own story of his divorce to Jennifer Jason Leigh, it is a discomforter, peppered with comedy that, like his other films, didn't make me laugh too much - one character does a very funny attempt at an English accent, but otherwise i was left untickled. Of course, some of that might be how true parts of it felt to me, and how shaken i could feel from that, but again like his other films, i don't much like the characters he creates stories of. If they are of actors and directors and those in his world, maybe they are never wholly real-seeming.
Anywho, it was good when the drama hit home, and the acting decent enough. And i feel a bit bruised by it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Midway

Amidst the fairly predictable yee-haw American heroism, as a spectacle, this is actually an absolute thrill-ride. I was in the front row at The Dome, and found myself blown away by the sheer noise, speed and violence of the action sequences. You could've cut diamonds in my bumhole when those P52's were dive-bombing those Jap carriers. Its not going to win any oscars for the dialogue, but if you fancy 2 hours+ of seeing shit blown up, step right up.

74%

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last Christmas Worthing Dome, 200 in 550 theatre

The first half the dialouge was very clunky and not great but the second half more than made up for it. I liked it a lot even though the critics seem to hate it. The twist I did not see coming but was very powerful when it did, for me. Emma Thompson was great, as usual and Emelia Clarke is simply adorable and did a great job. I think in time it will become classic Xmas fare and regarded much better. I will give it 74 out of 100, 30 for the first half and 44 for the second half. Certainly a lot better than Kermode and the other critics led us to believe

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The cinecity film festival came to a close with Jojo Rabbit and I really enjoyed it. I find I'm inclined to like Taiki Waititi's stuff because... well, it tends to be really good (Thor Ragnorak, The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows). Funny and tender, I would absolutely recommend this movie. Unless you don't like really good films.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I finally got round to watching Joker, last night.
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about as it's basically just a skinny bloke doing a 21st century version of King of Comedy.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Snuck off last eve to the secret screening at my local Picturehouse, trotting gently for 10 minutes so that i would arrive unsuitably damp from rain and exercise. I had minor fears over having the secret of something mind-numbingly dull revealed to me - did you hear about Marjorie in reception? Allergic to sandals - but it was Knives Out, and i released a small yeah to myself, as i had intended to see it when out.
Watching it, though, i wasn't entirely thrilled. It was a warm ode to the whodunnit, and sometimes amusing, but bits of it sounded a bit stupid and far-fetched causing the odd sneer rather than enthralment. And i thought the array of talent in this gallery of ghouls could have been flourishingly used. You know, it weren't bad, and it was good to see Jamie Lee Curtis back on screen, and i have decided i quite fancy Ana de Armas woofwoofishly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Snuck off last eve to the secret screening at my local Picturehouse, trotting gently for 10 minutes so that i would arrive unsuitably damp from rain and exercise. I had minor fears over having the secret of something mind-numbingly dull revealed to me - did you hear about Marjorie in reception? Allergic to sandals - but it was Knives Out, and i released a small yeah to myself, as i had intended to see it when out.
Watching it, though, i wasn't entirely thrilled. It was a warm ode to the whodunnit, and sometimes amusing, but bits of it sounded a bit stupid and far-fetched causing the odd sneer rather than enthralment. And i thought the array of talent in this gallery of ghouls could have been flourishingly used. You know, it weren't bad, and it was good to see Jamie Lee Curtis back on screen, and i have decided i quite fancy Ana de Armas woofwoofishly.

Knives Out was the cineworld unlimited advance preview last night, too. I went and it sounds like I enjoyed it more than you did. I thought it was quite predictable, but that seemed to add to it for me - I think too often in a quest to surprise or outsmart the audience, film makers can get too caught up on a twist or surprise that they compromise the story or it becomes more about 'didn't see it coming' rather than 'did you enjoy it?' or 'does it make sense?' it pretty much avoids that pitful of "how could we possibly have predicted that, the key bit of information isn't shown until the very end!"

Looking back, it does feel like some of the actors are bigger than their roles needed, and so there is a sense that they were wasted. But that feels like a small thing, when I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went and saw Knives Out today with Dad. A great storyline and old fashioned whodunnit with a great cast and a few twists and turns on the way. I can recommend this one. It rates a 78 out of 100

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just watched The Irishman on Netflix (in one sitting).

Yes it's long (3 hours 29 mins) but at no time did I consider stopping the film to continue watching later. Any film that doesn't have me looking at my watch to see how long is left is a good one to me.
Excellent storyline, which is based around De Niro's character.

Much has been said about the technology used to reduce the age of the stars, but to me it didn't detract from the film at all.

One of my favourite films of the year.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Watched The Irishman last night, had high hopes and been looking forward to it since it was announced. It's brilliant, up there with Scorsese's best stuff. As above it doesn't feel like over 3 hours, it goes along at a very nice pace. De Niro, Pacino and Pesci are excellent and the supporting cast is superb as well. Highly recommended.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heads-up! Black Friday deal for Picturehouse joining/renewing :thumbsup:

'An offer you cannot refuse!
We're offering you 48 hours to become a Picturehouse Member with an amazing 40% off discount - including renewals if you're 3 months from expiry.

The sale ends at 23.59 on Saturday 30 November, so hurry to get a year's Membership with this brilliant deal.

The offer is only available online. Renew now by accessing your MyPicturehouse account, the Membership price includes saving.'

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Blue Story.
90 mins of teenagers punching one another and waving a very shiny gun around. Boring and nowhere near as important as it believes it is.

2/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Knives Out yesterday with Mrs V. Was a little disappointed, some good moments and some great scenes but not really enough of them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Heads-up! Black Friday deal for Picturehouse joining/renewing :thumbsup:

'An offer you cannot refuse!
We're offering you 48 hours to become a Picturehouse Member with an amazing 40% off discount - including renewals if you're 3 months from expiry.

The sale ends at 23.59 on Saturday 30 November, so hurry to get a year's Membership with this brilliant deal.

The offer is only available online. Renew now by accessing your MyPicturehouse account, the Membership price includes saving.'

" Other cinema's that are far less presumptious, cheaper and charge no membership fee, are available, "

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s was my last free day for a few weeks so took myself to see a double whammy today. Honey Boy and Motherless Brooklyn. Both of which I’ve been looking forward to.

Honey Boy.
I’ve been a fan of LaBeouf for a while now, not that his film choices have been great but he’s licked himself up and done two corkers this year.
I thought this was very good. It’s very simple but looks fantastic and paints a depressingly good picture of trailer park/motel life.
If this is a true depiction of his Father, he did very well to make it through his childhood.
The young actor is fantastic, as is the clown haired Father.
A solid 7/10

Motherless Brooklyn.
Good to see Norton back on form alongside a great cast. It really got me form the off, looks great, intriguing story, noir, 1950’s Brooklyn . It was good but runs out of steam in the third act and never recovers but a good watch if a little underwhelming at the end.

7/10

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of the Skywalker
I've gone in to a bit more, non-spoilery detail on the RotS thread (that's rise of the skywalker, not revenge of the sith stupid non-exclusive intialisms). But put simply, having watching Eps 7 and 8 immediately before, either through tiredness, comparison, or simply on its own merits, I did not enjoy Episode 9.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I shan't talk of Star Wars, other than that it's not really made for me, and that's fine.
And i won't say much of Honey Boy, because almost a week has passed since seeing it - it was alright, and moderately interesting.
What i will say of, though, is Aquerela. I mean, who doesn't want to hear of, and see, a documentary about water? It was Tuesday when i went, and i'd had a few pints the night before being mildly frustrated with or draw, meaning i was not in the mood for such fare. I thought of contacting my friend and cancelling, but, alas, a whatsapp sat there on my phone with the seat number she'd bought. Pah. So filled my back with chocolate and coke zero, and went along, dreary-eyed. But what a beauty. Ok, it was helped by her and i being the only ones in the cinema, but the opening 20 minutes of the film were incredibly exciting. It was just some fellows on a frozen lake, trying to peer through and listen for what was below. It took a while for it to be known that they were to pull out cars from the water. The reason they are in there is because the laketop is driven over by various motorists in Russia, who are unaware the ice has thinned more quickly than most years. We see this in action itself as a car speeds across the vast lake, only to dive straight through the ice. The cameraman and rescue crew race over to find 2 men have gotten out, chilled to the bone and facially blood-covered, but desperately trying to get to the man who hasn't escaped. A couple of minutes are spent with everyone beating at the ice with various tools and fists. I was agog. Oh my pigging god, i thought, as this desperate attempt was made.
What followed was about glaciers and dam-breakages and vast floods, just seeing them and their combined beauty and effect, but to a hard metal backing track.
I loved it, largely thanks to that opening drama, but it was an intoxicating stew that i am glad my tiredness didn't rob me of.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Upon seeing the trailer for Cats it was clear this was going to be must see for me, because I am someone who will test myself with bad movies, and I am also someone who has an affinity for musicals, even the bad ones.

I was only more determined to see it on seeing some select quotes from some reviews in my twitter feed:

[tweet]1207591863022166017[/tweet]

[tweet]1207592089288134657[/tweet]

So I set off for the cinema and got nice and settled.

Damnit, I have to question myself now, because I actually really enjoyed it. I'm not entirely sure what Tom Hooper was thinking when he decided to CGI the human cast into cat-like humanoids, but I bought into it and actually liked the music. I'd seen the recording of the stage show, and wasn't overly fond of it, but I like what they did with some of the music, and it certainly is something to behold. Everything I see in the reviews for the film suggests that something will be bad for the majority of people, but it worked for me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to the marina cineworld for a doubleheader.

First up was Jumanji: The Next Level. The film started with a technical hitch which meant the screen was blank for 5 minutes or so, but that was sorted quickly enough that I didn't miss too much. IT was quite fun. If you liked the first it was more of the same, with the addition of Danny DeVito and Danny Glover, which never does a film harm.

Following that I went into the revamped screen 7 - tiered seating, reclining seats, all quite fancy - to see the latest version of Little Women. I have a vague recollection of a version with Winona Ryder, Susan Sarandon and Kirsten Dunst, but it's possible I am conflating more than one version, or imagining it in its entirety. I don't think I ever watched it, but I'm aware of it. So I went to watch it without any pre-conceived notions, or any sense of having seen a perfect version. I thought it was good. Kept me interested throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here