Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you seen August Rush yet ?.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Laura

Just watch it. If you do not absolutely LOVE it I will re imburse you with the cost of the DVD. This is a cast iron certainty. You will fall in love with this film I can guarantee it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I LOVED this film. I thought it had great cinematography, struck the right tone and pace, performances from the adults were good, as always Rickman was very good, Jim Broadbent was excellent. The kids ranged from annoying (younger tom riddle) to rather good (evanna lynch, teen tom riddle).

I liked the changes they made from the book.

My only two complaints was the sacking of the burrow was pointless, didn't add anything. And the end seemed a little flat/to be continued-ish.

I am a fan of the book, I don't know how much I benefited from that, so don't know how non-book fans will view it. (will probably be as mixed as the book fans).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Watchmen

Never read the comic, and at nigh on 3 hours it is self-indulgent, but a good story told in a very stylish way and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A solid 8.0

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Strangers

A couple in the iddle of nowhere in a motel room ( obligatory plotline ) are disturbed in the middle of the night by 3 strangers wearing masks, 1 man and 2 women who keep banging on their door, looking at them in a strange way and being annoying frankly. At the end the man stabs them both.

Thats about it really.

Poor, don't bother.

Can I just mention, this thread is EXCELLENT use when compiling a rental list on Lovefilm.com

Seven Pounds has been duley added.

totall agree I am just doing that:drink:

Memento

interesting, probably need to see it again, 5.9

I watched Quantum of Solace again last night. A very decent Bond film and I am still very dumbfounded about some of the negative reviews it got.

Not impressed when it came out.

but watching it a year later on dvd, the story has improved greatly?

much better. 7 out 0f 10.

Let the Right One In
A swedish film about a young boy, victim of school bullies, and the friendship that develops with the new girl in his apartment block. Oh yeah, she's a vampire.

I really enjoyed this. It was quite sedate most of the time, but very well told story and it drew me in well. Apparently, lots of stuff from the book is cut, or trimmed down to the point that if you haven't read it you wouldn't pick up on it, but it doesn't stop you understanding or enjoying the film.

Ms LC will love it when

I tell her I want to watch a swedish film about a 12 year old girl..................

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've got august rush on sky plus. Just need to get round to watching it...

The Proposal
Sweet little film. Nothing special or particularly original, but made with heart and quite amusing.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Moon

A great "old fashioned" sci-fi with brains rather than the usual robots kicking the CGI crap out of each other. A compelling and interesting story, excellently shot and brilliantly acted by Sam Rockwell in what must have been a difficult role/roles to play out. It's a real shame that it's not got a wider release. Well done Zowie Bowie! 8.1/10

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Moon

A great "old fashioned" sci-fi with brains rather than the usual robots kicking the CGI crap out of each other. A compelling and interesting story, excellently shot and brilliantly acted by Sam Rockwell in what must have been a difficult role/roles to play out. It's a real shame that it's not got a wider release. Well done Zowie Bowie! 8.1/10

I am muchly looking forward to this. Doesn't open here until mid-October though... :down:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pineapple Express - Seth Rogan stoner movie that isn't quite as good as Superbad. Quite jolly though still.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Hangover

Four guys go to Vegas on a stag do, get completely wasted, wake up the next morning all remembering absolutely NOTHING of the night before....and the groom is missing. Sharp script with some genuine LOL moments and a great cameo from Mike Tyson. Probably the best comedy I've seen this year, quality sniggerage.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Old Boy

South Korean movie
A stylishly movie that oozes class, confusing at first then the web begins to unfold, if you haven't seen it you must.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)
Train gets taken hostage, bad guys negotiate with train co-ordinator instead of police.
I really enjoyed this, but I can't work out if it's because of the great cast (Denzel, Travolta, Gandolfini, Turturro, Guzman) or if it's cause the film itself was good.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
V for Vendetta
7.2 Suprisingly enjoyable, much better than the reviews would suggest. Graphic novelly with Guy Fawkes theme, lots of politics, the usual sceintific laboratory gumf and Stephen Fry

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Wrestler

Wasn't sure if I'd like this, but I have to say it was one of the best acting performances I have seen in recent years. Micky Rourke is utterly convincing as struggling, lonely, washed-up over the hill wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson, still trying to earn a living by harking back to his past glories which were back in the 80's. He plays the role with such likable, world-weary, understated skill that its impossible not to find yourself pulling for the poor guy all the way through. Filmed almost in a fly-on-the-wall documentary style, I thought this was a gem of a film and one I'd happily watch again just for Rourkes amazing performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports