Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fikayo Tomori on loan from Chelsea

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't the intention all the way to get Hunt out on loan to get some experience of proper grown-up football? In which case, cover for him on loan makes excellent sense. Welcome to Brighton, young man.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Makes sense. To be honest I've never heard of him but from what I've just found online he seems to be very highly rated.

With Bruno, Bong, Rosenior, Hunemeier, Dunk, Duffy, Goldson and Pocognoli all in our senior defensive ranks we couldn't really justify another older, more costly player. This seems like a sensible cover option.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I have a bad feeling now about Bruno being fit and injury worse than what has been suggested.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He's already played for Chelsea first team vs Leicester last season. Seems a bit too strong to be backup. Let's see.

BTW no one has mentioned the possibility of dunk being sold this window for a big fee.?!?.....

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
He's already played for Chelsea first team vs Leicester last season. Seems a bit too strong to be backup. Let's see.

BTW no one has mentioned the possibility of dunk being sold this window for a big fee.?!?.....

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

The signing of Goldson last year covered that scenerio.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Good move, Rosenior is probably at least 6 weeks away from being able to play and we have been pushing our luck having no Bruno backup.

Just a striker then, and if it's a choice of Ulloa or no one, although not the Baldock type, he wouldn't upset the team. Murray or Hemed might get injured and he would be good cover to be fair. In many respects if we don't get our perfect striker I would be happy to see Ulloa back here on loan.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Good move, Rosenior is probably at least 6 weeks away from being able to play and we have been pushing our luck having no Bruno backup.

Just a striker then, and if it's a choice of Ulloa or no one, although not the Baldock type, he wouldn't upset the team. Murray or Hemed might get injured and he would be good cover to be fair. In many respects if we don't get our perfect striker I would be happy to see Ulloa back here on loan.
6 weeks really .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Chelsea teenager Fikayo Tomori turning heads on both sides of the Atlantic

A report from May 2016.

My fascinated Euro-America-centric mind just spent a good bit of time reading about various languages and dialects of the Volta-Niger family, the biggest of which apparently is Yoruba, spoken mostly in west and central Nigeria as well as Benin. As best as I can tell, Fikayo Tomori (full name Oluwafikayomi Oluwadamilola Tomori) is a Yoruba name. This doesn't really matter, but I was curious if I could find out any more information about his Nigerian parents. I couldn't, but I did learn about Yoruba, so I've got that going for me.

Anyway, Tomori was born to Nigerian parents in Calgary, Canada, but by the age of eight, he was over in London and part of Chelsea Academy. So he's yet another one of these life-long True Blues who are now starting to come of age and of talent and are knocking on the door of greatness. He broke onto the public scene last season, often playing for the U21s as a first year scholar.

Now 18, Tomori has been the breakout defensive star in the Academy, playing a key part in our FA Youth Cup and UEFA Youth Cup double triumph. His efforts were rewarded with a spot on the bench Wednesday at Anfield alongside fellow teenagers Kasey Palmer and Tammy Abraham. Only Abraham got to make his debut, but Tomori was buzzing as well, as the kids say these days.

Chelsea aren't the only ones excited by the young defender's progress. He was called on by Canada U20s in November, and they are certainly hoping he will choose them eventually at the senior level as well. Tomori remains eligible for England and Nigeria as well.

"He loves to defend, he's an out-and-out defender. He loves the 1-v-1 defending, he's very good in those situations. He has a desire, an aggression about him, to win the ball back. It's a trait we've almost lost in our modern defenders."

"He brings a lot of experience to our group. He's not the most vocal of players, but that experience, you can see it in the way that he competes."

-Rob Gale, Canada U20 head coach; source MLS Soccer
It's easy to get carried away by teenagers' star turns in the Academy, but the current crop of youngsters coming up through the ranks at Chelsea certainly seem a class above. It might take a few years, but surely, some of them have got to make it into the first-team, right? With our core group of defenders quickly aging themselves out of effectiveness and Kurt Zouma the only lock as far as the next generation is concerned (and that's assuming he recovers properly from his ACL tear), perhaps Tomori will be the one to make that leap? So far so good! What this space...

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....kayo-tomori-chelsea-academy-first-team-canada

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have a bad feeling now about Bruno being fit and injury worse than what has been suggested.

I wondered the same. Having said that I thought Pog had a very good game after a shaky start against Wednesday :lol::lol:

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Quality signing. Been meaning to create an account on here for ages and this signing has reminded me! I have played with and against Fikayo and he has always had something about him, he's very quick, not the most technical but definitely no nonsense and can offer more than Goldson going forward at right-back. He is no doubt better than Hunt. Not sure if it has been mentioned but he was Chelsea Academy player of the year last year ahead of players like musonda, Abraham and solanke - that should tell you something about how good this boy is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here