Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Rankings

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Blimey, I can accept it's hard to find a suitable scoring system to rank teams, when you have some in major competition, others just playing friendlies, and presumably over teh next couple of years Brazil will suffer from having no competitive WC Quallies, but COME ON, someone must proof read these before they go out. Brazil, outside the top 10, and us at 4th, and .... oh, I could go on all day.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
There is something profoundly wrong about these rankings. I know we have a mediocre team,
but it's not worse than Panama, Gabon or Libya, as the rankings seem to suggest. Poland in
this ranking is almost 20 positions below Algieria and, as much as I am critical towards our NT's
performances in recent years, this is ridiculous.

Last month we were below Armenia and Estonia! FIFA has to do something about the glaring
discrepancy between their rankings and reality.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This proves, beyond doubt, that England fans are never bloody happy. In previous years we've been ranked 10th, with everyone whingeing that we should be higher. Now we complain we should be lower.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People seem to get too hung up about this. It is just a ranking based on a formula relating to the results a team has and the quality of the team they get those results against. It never will be perfect so just accept it for what it is. Being top doesnt earn you anything, it doesn't win you world cups or continental competitions. It's like any other ranking where you can be top without having won a major tournament eg, tennis, golf etc.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
People seem to get too hung up about this. It is just a ranking based on a formula relating to the results a team has and the quality of the team they get those results against. It never will be perfect so just accept it for what it is. Being top doesnt earn you anything, it doesn't win you world cups or continental competitions. It's like any other ranking where you can be top without having won a major tournament eg, tennis, golf etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these rankings decide the pool you are drawn from in World Cup
and Euro qualifiers and are, therefore, quite important. It makes a big difference if you're drawn
from the second or the fourth pool.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these rankings decide the pool you are drawn from in World Cup
and Euro qualifiers and are, therefore, quite important. It makes a big difference if you're drawn
from the second or the fourth pool.

Beat me to it - they're in fact profoundly important, so it would be fairer if they bore some resemblance to reality. Teams like Ireland, for example, seem to be being punished, rankings-wise, for reaching the Finals of a major tournament and losing in competitive games to strong teams. Better to fail to get through (just), then beat a series of slightly weaker nations in friendlies. By contrast, we're being rewarded for not losing, despite being thrashed 0-0 by Italy, for example.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
There is something profoundly wrong about these rankings. I know we have a mediocre team,
but it's not worse than Panama, Gabon or Libya, as the rankings seem to suggest. Poland in
this ranking is almost 20 positions below Algieria and, as much as I am critical towards our NT's
performances in recent years, this is ridiculous.

Last month we were below Armenia and Estonia! FIFA has to do something about the glaring
discrepancy between their rankings and reality.

2 of the teams you mentioned, Algeria and Estonia have had decent times of it of late though. Algeria qualified for WC2010 and Estonia came 2nd in their Euro 2012 qualifying group beating Serbia for example. As someone else has already said it's not a perfect science but you can see why teams are where they are when you look at results. England in general perform very well results wise throughout the year, we don't lose a lot of games, we just lose the most important ones. That's why we have a high ranking but poor performances in tournaments. Even in this tournament just gone we didn't lose however.

I'm not saying I think we're the 4th best team in the world but the system benefits England in terms of ranking.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
2 of the teams you mentioned, Algeria and Estonia have had decent times of it of late though. Algeria qualified for WC2010 and Estonia came 2nd in their Euro 2012 qualifying group beating Serbia for example. As someone else has already said it's not a perfect science but you can see why teams are where they are when you look at results. England in general perform very well results wise throughout the year, we don't lose a lot of games, we just lose the most important ones. That's why we have a high ranking but poor performances in tournaments. Even in this tournament just gone we didn't lose however.

I'm not saying I think we're the 4th best team in the world but the system benefits England in terms of ranking.

I never said the entire ranking doesn't make sense at all, but there IS something wrong with
it, and all you have to do to come to the same conclusion is to look at WC 2014 qualifying
groups: on the one hand you have groups like B (Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria)
or C (Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Austria) and on the other hand groups like E (Norway,
Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania) or G (Greece, Slovakia, Bosnia, Lithuania).

You are right that some teams managed to get a couple of good results recently, but still
the FIFA rankings don't seem to mirror the real strength of national teams.

Ah, well... I guess we have to wait until 16th October, when the shitty 54th team
in the world will play at home against the amazing 4th team (50 ranking positions
difference!) According to FIFA rankings the score should be something like 0-4, 0-5.
Good luck with that! ;-)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It says we're 6th in the table I can see?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here