Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well done the Americans, shame it won't change the 'election' result though.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Blatter wasn't available, he's too busy right now dishing out FIFA funds to various national federations prior to the Presidential election..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well done the Americans, shame it won't change the 'election' result though.
Maybe they will be queuing up to disassociate themselves from Blatter, and will all be voting against him ? ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hopefully those arrested would have been planning on voting for Blatter. Unfortunately though, FIFA are now apparently (according to BBC radio) considering postponing the election, presumably because Blatter wouldn't want it to go ahead without some of his supporters.
Well done the US justice system though (and that's not something I ever expected to say!) Nail them, please!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's like waking up on Christmas Day! Ow what a beautiful morning. Ow what a beautiful day. I've got a wonderful feeling. FIFA are going away!

If carlsberg did news stories....this would be it!

Did you step on a drawing pin/3-pin plug/Lego?

But seriously, yes I agree, let's hope this day keeps getting better.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I really don't think Blatter is worried about election. I would imagine the results will read like those of a North Korean election- at least 95% will vote to continue the reign of their glorious leader.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Even if Blatter is arrested, charged and convicted I can see the old ******* not resigning, running FIFA from a prison cell, like Mr Bridger in The Italian Job

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's a bit dissapointing that they've only arrested South American officials for corruption related to minor tournaments. Hopefully those arrested will start giving up the rest of the corrupt lot to avoid lengthy prison sentences.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From the Beeb:

The Federal Office of Justice in Switzerland (FOJ) have released a statement following today's arrests of six Fifa officials on suspicion of corruption:

"The FOJ's arrest warrants were issued further to a request by the US authorities.

"The US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York is investigating these individuals on suspicion of the acceptance of bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and the present day.

"The bribery suspects - representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms - are alleged to have been involved in schemes to make payments to the soccer functionaries - delegates of FIFA and other functionaries of FIFA sub-organizations - totalling more than $100 million (approx. £650m).

"In return, it is believed that they received media, marketing, and sponsorship rights in connection with soccer tournaments in Latin America. According to the US request, these crimes were agreed and prepared in the US, and payments were carried out via US banks."

"The Zurich Police will question the detainees today on behalf of the FOJ regarding the US request for their arrest.

"A simplified procedure will apply for wanted persons who agree to their immediate extradition.

"The FOJ can immediately approve their extradition to the US and order its execution.

"However, if a wanted person opposes their extradition, the FOJ will invite the US to submit a formal extradition request within the deadline of 40 days specified in the bilateral extradition treaty."

A reminder that Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who is seeking a fifth term in charge of the organisation when he stands for re-election on Friday, is not one of those arrested in the dawn raids at a Zurich hotel ahead of Friday's presidential election.

But vice-president Jeffrey Webb, who is also head of the North America, Central America and Caribbean football federation, is among those held.

Eduardo Li of Costa Rica, Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay and the Brazilian deputy FA chief Jose Maria Marin were also taken away.

Members of Swiss law enforcement were still present in the hotel at 08:00 BST but the main activity and arrests now seem to be over.

Fifa are holding a news conference at 10:00 BST, which should be interesting to say the least.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I can't believe it's not Blatter.

B6309831-CC94-1658-EC8AF82914F142B3.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a bit dissapointing that they've only arrested South American officials for corruption related to minor tournaments. Hopefully those arrested will start giving up the rest of the corrupt lot to avoid lengthy prison sentences.

And the head of the North/Central/American and Caribbean association. CONEMBOMBAL or whatever it's called.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hopefully the are Blatter supporters and are held until Saturday ruling them out of the vote. There would be a lovely sense of irony if Blatter then lost by 9 votes and went off crying foul play

To build on this fantasy, given the FBI are still investigating the corrupt thieving Swiss c*nt, I'd like him to lose the election and then an hour later be arrested ...... SWEET.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This is interesting from The Independant website

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-in-investigation--live-updates-10277649.html

I am so desperate for that Swiss Cheese to come crashing down that I am looking for reasons to be optimistic on this. Like this quote from the article (below)

US law enforcement officials have told the New York Times, which named the 14 indicted officials earlier, that the investigation is "ongoing".

That means Fifa president Sepp Blatter was not yet considered cleared of any wrongdoing.

The Times quoted the official as saying: "We’re struck by just how long this went on for and how it touched nearly every part of what Fifa did.

"It just seemed to permeate every element of the federation and was just their way of doing business. It seems like this corruption was institutionalised."

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Jeffery Webb is a Blatter supporter:

But both Ali and Blatter briefly addressed a meeting of the North and Central American confederation, Concacaf. Its president, Jeffrey Webb, criticised Ali’s plan to increase the number of teams in the World Cup finals to 36 in time for the Russia World Cup in 2018.

“The World Cup is a jewel of football and, for me, you shouldn’t increase the spaces in a World Cup for political reasons,” said Webb, whose 35 voting member associations are expected mainly to back Blatter.
---------------------

So these are not anti-Blatter people being arrested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here