Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA considers changes to nationality rules

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Scenario: You're Welsh and you live in Cwmbran. You've planned ahead and haven't gone on holiday for 3 months, as BG and Mrs BG did, but due to a life threatening complication they transfer you to Bristol where you give birth to healthy baby. Could you still play for Wales after an appeal on compassionate grounds?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What happens if country they're eligible to play for ceases to exist or breaks up? If they were born in Barcelona for example, would they be eligible to play for Spain, Catalonia or both?

Barcelona is Spain whether they like it or not and will remain so for the duration of my life. Arent there moves afoot by the Spanish government to dissolve the powers of the Barcelona politicians.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think they should change the rules and you become only eligible for the country in which you were born irrespective of parents or grandparents happening to be there on holiday or working or whatever.

Tell you what, I'd pay good money to hear Terry Butcher's reply when being told that he should never have played for England.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were at Swansea watching a game when my wife was due with one of our son and she thought that she was going into labour so I said hang on and put my foot down and went hell for leather for the Severn Bridge to get back in to England. It turned out to be a false alarm.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We were at Swansea watching a game when my wife was due with one of our son and she thought that she was going into labour so I said hang on and put my foot down and went hell for leather for the Severn Bridge to get back in to England. It turned out to be a false alarm.

I'm with you completely in what you did but I would adopt a much more risk averse approach to ensuring that my children are born in Sussex.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

So you put your wife and child’s life at risk for some stupid bullshit imaginary sense of nationality that you have. Smart.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So a child born to English parents (with English grandparents, and an English family tree going back to the Domesday Book) on holiday in Corfu would be... ... ...Greek?

No :). But plenty on here who are a bit one eyed. You're only British if your parents are, your born in Britain and to a British midwife. Ah. Scrap the last rule.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you put your wife and child’s life at risk for some stupid bullshit imaginary sense of nationality that you have. Smart.

How did I put anybody at risk as it was on the M4 and I was a competent driver doing approx 1000+ miles a week. I could have driven from my house in Ewell to EDH Epsom and just as likely. had an accident. I cannot remember but I diont think there was a speed restriction on motorways then.

Jimmy Grimble

Some brilliant Partridge moments in this thread.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's OK because according to The BG Rules all you would have to do is pop the imminent mother onto a pedalo and say "head for blighty, dear" and the child would have the choice of Greece or England.
But if she only got as far as southern Italy, wouldn't the babe have to claim citizenship at the first point of entry? Italian, then.............

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where do we stand on international waters?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And also foundlings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003