Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP latest predictions

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Your owner doesn't seem to understand that the Championship FFP regs do not relate to debt; they relate to a max of 5m loss and a limit of 3m of equity is allowed to be put in to come to that figure (so effectively a loss limit of 8m).

Besides, what big bucks transfer sales did Bournemouth make in 13/14 anyway?

Don't think those figures are correct either - the 3 and the 5 are the wrong way round.

Season 13/14 - allowable loss is £3m plus up to an additional £5m if covered by an equity purchase.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't think those figures are correct either - the 3 and the 5 are the wrong way round.

Season 13/14 - allowable loss is £3m plus up to an additional £5m if covered by an equity purchase.

I stand corrected. Although it was closer than the Bournemouth owner's statement that a 15m loss was ok if covered by an equity purchase!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Bournemouth meet the FFP regulations then they've got very creative accountants.

I had to laugh at their plans to increase capacity at the Goldsands to 18k , doesn't the owner know the Premier League will refuse to admit them if they won promotion ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had to laugh at their plans to increase capacity at the Goldsands to 18k , doesn't the owner know the Premier League will refuse to admit them if they won promotion ?

Is Admittance to the Premier League dependant on capacity?

afcb1234

Nov 26, 2014
for the first time i feel compelled to write on a msg board as i feel i can look at this from both angles and unlike most rival fans, give the truth :) (btw dean court would be fine it is all seater and would just need upgrading eg extra journalist seats, improved lighting etc)

all money quotes are approximate, we never know the full truth. what we do know is ours rose dramatically after promotion based on performance clauses. we have made a loss but this has been offset through a combination of increased championship tv revenue, luck of the lallana sale and the liverpool cup tie and our owner. another major contributor is the hangover of the shocking groves era. examples like addison who turned slower than a lorry on a long term contract rumoured at 16k a week and frank demouge who played about 4 minutes on a similar deal were just 2 of many examples of a shocking mess that eddie, together with maxim are still sorting out. to make the club fit within ffp and not to have to rely on lucky cup ties or player sales (elsewhere and within) the club needs to increase capacity. by no means do we think we are a club that can attract huge attendances but we know many people are put off by the struggle to get a ticket and end up with a poor seat in a temp stand. i think when the side is playing well and the stadium is increased we will realistically be looking at attendances of 14-18k as we are again selling out. the club needs this to be sustainable and only once we are finally clear of all the 'hangover' players on our books. to add i believe we aren't 'little bournemouth' but all this taken into account we should be around 12th-18th position, players bought range from a whopping 4k for arter, were cook and elphick around 300k each? wilson was bought from grabban sale, rantie has been eddies one big purchase. i have to admit i'm a little jealous of your big lovely unique stadium which is fab as its not like these boring bowls eg st fairies. im going to throw caution to the wind and say if i supported brighton id feel a little entitled to be up there, esp with the performances of last season. i believe it will b e a case of when, not if for you guys hence why i want afcb to carry on this form and grasp this opportunity with both hands. sorry if this post is so long! ps can we have your pies, ours are shocking.......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Eg St fairies?

I do hope that is not some homophobic connotation?

Rather a reference to shakespeare's fairie queen?

afcb1234

Nov 26, 2014
Eg St fairies?

I do hope that is not some homophobic connotation?

Rather a reference to shakespeare's fairie queen?

ha ha no not at all just a nickname that has stuck to the snorefest that is the imaginatively designed ground that soton fc reside in. just like every other bowl that pops up each year like franchise fc. i'd like to point out there is no sarcasm in this post re. the amex, speaking from my experience everyone i spoke to when we visited loved your ground, it is so refreshing to see a ground with each stand different in it's size, tiers etc. i wish dean court could look a little different when built but with a whopping 6.5 million spent this wasn't possible, though with our old ground anything was a big improvement and gratefully received. we have also been restricted after having to sell not only the ground but land around it which is now a restricting factor in development :-(

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"Watford's failure to make play-offs contribute to pre-tax loss of £344,000"

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/11627733._/

Watford - Buy now....pay later....helps meet FFP

"We understand a number of signings from sister clubs Udinese and Granada joined Watford for minimal or no initial transfer fees but that sums will be paid depending on promotion, which the accounts appear to indicate. The accounts reveal transfer agreements are in place, to the sum of £8.11m, which are linked to Watford sealing promotion to the Premier League or making international appearances"

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Watford - Buy now....pay later....helps meet FFP

"We understand a number of signings from sister clubs Udinese and Granada joined Watford for minimal or no initial transfer fees but that sums will be paid depending on promotion, which the accounts appear to indicate. The accounts reveal transfer agreements are in place, to the sum of £8.11m, which are linked to Watford sealing promotion to the Premier League or making international appearances"

Shows that FFP rules are pointless when teams can get around it with dual ownership and other dubious schemes.

PeterAFCB

Oct 30, 2014
So even with us passing FFP, Bloom voting for relaxed rules and you signing a former England international, on wages that'd dwarf most players in this division, are you still going to claim you are the pure light of the Championship and Bloom is the financial savior of English football?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So even with us passing FFP, Bloom voting for relaxed rules and you signing a former England international, on wages that'd dwarf most players in this division, are you still going to claim you are the pure light of the Championship and Bloom is the financial savior of English football?

Do you know how much of his wages we're paying?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Pardon, I didn't realise that the Football League had published the results for individual teams for FFP compliance - can you share a link please.

As for the rest of it, I don't think any such claims have been made - Brighton lose money just like every other club.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Very good question, albeit bluntly put.

I am not sure the club has ever put its self on the pure light plinth, just saying we should stick to the rules. But FFP is a mess, the parachute payments are a mess, football finances are a mess.

So whats to be done? Pay big bucks for players that will help you get to the promised land but be on the limits of FFP, pay ok wages and you may 'get there or there abouts' or pay peanuts and get rubbish and is more likely to keep you in the limits. There are obvious exceptions but you are damed if you do and damed if you don't.

PeterAFCB

Oct 30, 2014
FYI, I'm not saying our approach is right or wrong. After our history, our new-found wealth does worry me, but is there anything I can do about it? No. I suppose, naturally, I'd be more worried if we were struggling. As it is, it's worked and if we do go up, for what we've spent, it'd be a fraction of what income we'd receive at a higher level.

There's a fine line to be trodden. For all the clubs that have struggled with this sudden upswing in finance, there are clubs who have evolved and succeeded through it, abliet some not as quickly as us. It could go tits up, but that goes for any other club outside of the top few in the Premiership. It's always been like that, there's just more at stake now. Could Max get bored and leave? Yes, but he's got other clubs across Europe he has interest in and has ran them well with quite a bit of success. I see no reason why he'd leave us in the lurch or do anything to jepordise us when there's arguably more exposure and money at stake than all of his other footballing involvements combined.

FFP itself though is a failed concept. A good idea in practice, but I'd much rather the FL gets a robust procedure in place against owners themselves (Yung, Cellino) than punish clubs striving for success. It's a fine line and it's never black and white but it's always annoying when our supposed "wealth" is always pointed at, especially during our recent run, yet all the work that's gone along with it and the size of our budget compared to most of the clubs around us is relatively small.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

When has it been claimed that Bloom is the financial saviour of English football? The original rules were drawn up when the parachute payments were 50% less than they are now. Why vote for something that will make it even harder to compete? What are clubs supposed to do when the payments for failure in the PL are so lucrative and ridiculous?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here