Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fess up - who else was worried when they saw the teamsheet?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
When I saw the line up for the game on Saturday I will admit, I was worried.

Gross and Lallana? Lots of chat last season about them not starting in midfield together and being too slow.
No Welbeck and not on the bench (turns out he was unwell)
A no proven strikers on the bench
Veltamn injured.
Mitoma and Lallana coming of the physio's couch at the last minute.
A really young subs bench
That was very light on experienced CBs (and it looked like Webster took a knock in the first half)
A generally light on impact players (Lamps has been nursing an injury I heard)
And of course Potter knows all these players inside out, so the strengths of stars like Trossard were likely to be negated

And then this mighty team came out of the traps and tore into Chelsea. And the subs were fantastic. And we witnessed an historic game.

I have no conclusion to share other than to feel slightly ashamed that I doubted RDZ and the spine in our players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When I saw the line up for the game on Saturday I will admit, I was worried.

Gross and Lallana? Lots of chat last season about them not starting in midfield together and being too slow.
No Welbeck and not on the bench (turns out he was unwell)
A no proven strikers on the bench
Veltamn injured.
Mitoma and Lallana coming of the physio's couch at the last minute.
A really young subs bench
That was very light on experienced CBs (and it looked like Webster took a knock in the first half)
A generally light on impact players (Lamps has been nursing an injury I heard)
And of course Potter knows all these players inside out, so the strengths of stars like Trossard were likely to be negated

And then this mighty team came out of the traps and tore into Chelsea. And the subs were fantastic. And we witnessed an historic game.

I have no conclusion to share other than to feel slightly ashamed that I doubted RDZ and the spine in our players.
I think most people would have worried about no Veltman and Welbeck. They're international class players. I certainly had a few jitters until saw the Chelsea team, with no recognised striker either and a defensive formation I couldn't really work out.

Turned out very much that way with Solly unleashed against Cucu and our quick players running past Thiago Silva.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Yes I must admit that when I saw the lineup an eyebrow was raised! I was at a party so didn’t give it too much thought during the game. I told anyone that would listen that we never beat Chelsea and I had written the game off, hence my being at the party. That told everyone of my knowledge of football! Very happy to be proved emphatically wrong.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On the first pages of the match thread there was indeed a lot of talk about how pathetic the club was etc. for not signing another striker.

In a what shouldn't be a shocking surprise but yet remains that way in a lot of minds, the club yet again showed it knows what it is doing.

I wonder if Welbeck would have started if he was fit. It might have been a bit of a blessing, think the Chelsea defense would have had it easier against Welbeck and arguably (no I retract that: unarguably) Gross adds another dimension in the attacking play compared to Veltman.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Very worried when I saw there was no Welbeck...or even Ferguson on the bench. Disappointed not to see Mr Reliable Veltman starting as well.
Just never expected or believed we would score FOUR goals on Saturday...especially with our recent XG peformances.

That teamsheet did expose our squad depth though. No real experienced pros on the bench, just a bunch of youngsters but fair play to Enciso he ceased his opportunity and really stretched Chelski when he came on. Quite telling that Enciso came on before our recognised striker; Undav. Have we purchased a DUD?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
On the first pages of the match thread there was indeed a lot of talk about how pathetic the club was etc. for not signing another striker.

In a what shouldn't be a shocking surprise but yet remains that way in a lot of minds, the club yet again showed it knows what it is doing.

I wonder if Welbeck would have started if he was fit. It might have been a bit of a blessing, think the Chelsea defense would have had it easier against Welbeck and arguably (no I retract that: unarguably) Gross adds another dimension in the attacking play compared to Veltman.
Another attempt to have a dig at Brighton fans :facepalm:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Starting XI announced:
No striker, not exactly unusual for us so meh.
No Veltman - bugger
Mitoma starts - exciting.
Pretty sure where dunk Webster estupinan and Caicedo are playing, bewildering array of possibilities for the rest.

Game starts. FML I really hope midfield get back to help gross at RB. Jesus that seems a bad idea.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Trossard is our top scorer put him in a more central position and he is more likely to score rather than being relatively anonymous on the wing. Playing two wingers forced him into the centre so top of the team looked great. Those two wingers are great defensively so we had good support for the designated rightbacks and better attacking options

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
When I saw Gross line up at FB I was wrongly concerned may get a hard time from Stirling. Did us a favour in the end. Gross did well and Stirling didnt track back to help Cucurella

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
When I saw the Chelsea line up, I was very very confident.

Our line up was fine

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yep. Worried about lack of Welbeck and Veltman, then saw Gross was playing RB. Eh?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not really – but then I go into every game thinking Brighton are going to lose, so... :wink:

Seriously, RDZ seems to learn things VERY quickly (not just the English language) and knows what/who he likes and what/who he doesn't. He got it absolutely spot on with the starting 11 and the subs, too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was actually excited by Mitoma getting his first start we have been crying out for some pace upfront to cause havoc and he did that perfectly.
Exactly - my overriding thought was delight that Mitoma was fit again. I also knew that the formation would not be expected by Potter who had probably spent time coaching them how to deal with Welbeck

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The great thing about our squad is its flexibility in these situations, and how confusing it must be for opposition. When I saw the line up my words were “well fucks know what formation we’re playing”.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Yes, I knew we were going to get beaten by at least 2 goals. Even at 3-0 i was thinking if we get another 2 we could sneak a draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here