Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferguson to Man Utd for £120 Million?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic….from yesterday’s match report

Holland v ROI

Republic forward Evan Ferguson, who was an isolated figure as the side's spearhead, came off injured moments later and received treatment on a hamstring.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yeah, the guy is made of glass. I’m fine with him going in summer for £70-80m.
No he’s not but he’s just turned 19 and is a massive unit. These injuries will happen at that age with his build plus he’s probably still growing. The issue is he’s played too much top level football this year for his young age and is putting too much pressure on his developing body.

He’s an amazing talent but I am a bit worried about him at the moment, he needs a break.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No he’s not but he’s just turned 19 and is a massive unit. These injuries will happen at that age with his build plus he’s probably still growing. The issue is he’s played too much top level football this year for his young age and is putting too much pressure on his developing body.

He’s an amazing talent but I am a bit worried about him at the moment, he needs a break.
All of the above.

It is a massive step at that age, to go from essentially youth football, to the physicality of men’s, plus training intensity, not to mention pressure.

His body is still developing and as you say, he needs to be carefully managed, particularly in terms of game time.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Yeah, the guy is made of glass. I’m fine with him going in summer for £70-80m.
based on what? the injury last season was after he was totally wiped out by the chelsea player, the back injury seemed fairly minor and to the honest i think it was ridiculous for him to be playing for ireland when he would’ve been short of match fitness, which it what has potentially lead to this injury

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove

Let's not forget he's also being guided and directed by elite physiotherapists.

Long gone are the days where players are encouraged to play through minor injuries. These days there will be a zero risk approach to injuries. Slight twang? Don't risk it - rest up and recover. Let the physios manage it in training. Not worth developing long-term problems, or making a slight injury worse.

He does seem to get injured more frequently than most - but thankfully nothing serious yet. Like others have said, a lad with his build and in a physical role like that is bound to pick up more injuries. Although, why doesn't Haaland have the same kind of issues? Could be that Ferguson just needs more time in the gym, which I'm sure will be managed by the club and our physios.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The issue is he’s played too much top level football this year for his young age and is putting too much pressure on his developing body.
Has he though? When it’s broken down it doesn’t look so bad;

Since August 12 when we began our season with Luton at home he has played only 14 out of 17 matches - only 2 of those were 90 mins and only 5 were full halves - the other 7 matches all comparatively short minutes :

15 mins v Luton on 12 August

33 mins v Wolves on 19 August

90 mins v West Ham 26 Aug

90 mins v Newcastle 2 September

15 mins v Man U 16 September

Missed Athens on 21 September

45 mins v Bournemouth on 24 September

Missed Chelsea on 27 September

45 mins v AV on 30 September

18 mins v Marseille on 5 October

60 mins v Liverpool on 8 October

16 mins v Man City on 21 October

15 mins v Ajax on 26 October

78 mins v Fulham on 29 October

67 mins v Everton on 4 November

25 mins v Ajax on 9 November

Missed Sheffield on 12 November

Doesn’t seem overly onerous for a 19 year old international who’s a year into his second contract with us.

Ferguson has looked a bit off form for most of the season imo but it isn’t unusual for a young player to go through performance dips and muscle strains can be quite common as they develop but yes, football for many reasons is developing into a game where hamstring injuries in particular have become an epidemic of sorts. It perhaps doesn’t help that matches themselves are faster and more intense at top level than they used to be and we have so many ridiculous long VAR breaks now, players end up cooling down before resuming play, increasing their risk of injury when play resumes - that and so much added time etc. International football competition is getting ridiculously overcrowded too with qualifiers and group matches - Additional group games from next season’s Champions League will compound the problem even further.

It’s a new type of fixture-crowded season for us too but if nothing else at Brighton, we do know how to develop young players so I am not overly worried about the length of minutes Ferguson has played but for sure it is something that needs to be managed carefully - Mitoma is another player I have been concerned about for some time.

Personally I am more concerned with the changes to the game as a whole that’s seeing such a large % of PL players out with hamstring and serious knee injuries and when we lose very experienced players like March for almost an entire season from what was arguably a fatigue related injury..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Let's not forget he's also being guided and directed by elite physiotherapists.

Long gone are the days where players are encouraged to play through minor injuries. These days there will be a zero risk approach to injuries. Slight twang? Don't risk it - rest up and recover. Let the physios manage it in training. Not worth developing long-term problems, or making a slight injury worse.

He does seem to get injured more frequently than most - but thankfully nothing serious yet. Like others have said, a lad with his build and in a physical role like that is bound to pick up more injuries. Although, why doesn't Haaland have the same kind of issues? Could be that Ferguson just needs more time in the gym, which I'm sure will be managed by the club and our physios.

Does he actually get injured more frequently than most though?

Since his break through and becoming part of our first team squad properly he missed 3 Premier League games last season with an ankle injury, every other time he's been missing from a squad it's looked like part of rotation of a young player, so very difficult to tell how many times he's actually been injured. This season he's missed just one game in the Premier League which was the Sheffield United game, he also missed our first Europa League game through injury too. I know he withdrew from the Ireland squad in September with an injury but he didn't miss any Premier League game time for us because of it. I must admit after missing the Sheffield United game i'm surprised he wasn't withdrawn from the Ireland squad this time around.

Even if he is picking up injuries more frequently than most (which i don't think there is that much evidence of) they seem to be minor knocks which is expected for a young player stepping up into senior football for the first time. The size and physicality of Evan is also going to make him a target for players leaving a challenge in on him, testing what he's made of etc. He's an absolute unit so opposing defenders are going to try every trick to put him off his game.

He has looked a bit out of sorts in recent games but I wonder if thats more to do with his form dropping a bit in recent games, he started the season well and any young player is going to struggle with a bit of a down turn in form, especially one with so much hype as Evan.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Seems to be gathering pace 😪
Screenshot_20231119_113650_Facebook.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Seems to be gathering pace 😪
This currently has less pace than an asthmatic snail.

The deal agreed in the headline is our new contact with him. The rest of it is a list of tweets suggesting United are shit and he’d be better off staying with us.

It’s a huge case of nothing to read here. Taking quotes from twitter and adding a few words to pad it out, anyone could write this shit.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If it’s Jim Ratcliffe, I’d be delighted to see him wasting his money and making/overseeing disastrous/ridiculous decisions.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

Not for us he hasn't - he's hardly ever on the pitch for us. Ridiculous decision by the Albion to let him join up with the ROI squad after being unfit to be in our squad for the Sheff U game. Sometimes we don't half make things difficult for ourselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here