Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferguson out of Ireland squad (Injury)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I disagree with this. Whilst many disagree with some of Southgate's selections and tactics, something that he has been able to do is get a team spirit amongst the current crop of England players and have them really playing for the badge. There's no arguing with the recent record of 3 tournaments being semis, final and QFs.

If they were only in it for the cash then they wouldn't bother seeing as they donate all their match fees to chairty anyway.
He's practically had a bye for the torunaments. Bloody typical isnt it? Decent managers like venables and robson get no luck at all, horrendous decisions, draws, injuries. This football management incompetant incumbent gets all the luck. If only we had some back in the day.

Reactions: cjd

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
His parents are both Welsh. He was never eligible to play for England as he had no English parents or grandparents.
Yep. Playing for England at schoolboy level is purely on your school’s location, not on a players nationality.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
How the hell can you ‘change’ country? I’ve never understood this. I kind of get it with Rice etc because they are clearly born and bred in England, I won’t hold being talked into U18s caps against him as at that age it probably wasn’t his decision anyway. The likes of Andy Townsend I just couldn’t understand. Evan is Irish and clearly proud of it, as he should be.
What I don’t get is the fans, how can you embrace a player who is clearly not from your country?
Both my parents were Irish but I was born and have lived my whole life in England, I’m English. I sound English, I have a UK passport. I respect Ireland but I have no real knowledge or affinity for it apart from my parents and some nice holidays there. I like going on holiday in France but I’m not French!
It's simple really, I was born in England and sound English but I was raised in an Irish family environment and spent a lot of my childhood there. My parents returned to Ireland after working hard in the NHS for many years and all my relations are there and so I visit at least twice a year. Nothing against England, but if I had been lucky enough to have been a gifted sportsman I wouldn't need to change country because I would automatically have chosen Ireland. You clearly don't feel the same but there many others who do.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I personally can't think of a single instance of a player born in England, bought up in England and clearly good enough to play for England who has decided to play for another nation.
Off the top of my head - Shay Brennan, John Dempsey, Chris Hughton, Tony Grealish, Mark Lawrenson, Michael Robinson, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Tony Galvin, Terry Phelan, Jason McAteer, John Sheridan, Lee Carsley, - Ray Houghton - although born in Scotland he moved to London at a young age - Steve Heighway - born in Dublin but spent his entire life in England.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Off the top of my head - Shay Brennan, John Dempsey, Chris Hughton, Tony Grealish, Mark Lawrenson, Michael Robinson, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Tony Galvin, Terry Phelan, Jason McAteer, John Sheridan, Lee Carsley, - Ray Houghton - although born in Scotland he moved to London at a young age - Steve Heighway - born in Dublin but spent his entire life in England.
Ryan Giggs, possibly even Gareth Bale?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I keep coming onto this thread hoping for an update on Evan's injury.

But no, it's been derailed, as happens with any thread that mentions the word "Ireland". Tedious bollocks, and the ignore button can only do so much.

Is there any more information on Evan?

Reactions: cjd

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
How the hell can you ‘change’ country? I’ve never understood this. I kind of get it with Rice etc because they are clearly born and bred in England, I won’t hold being talked into U18s caps against him as at that age it probably wasn’t his decision anyway. The likes of Andy Townsend I just couldn’t understand. Evan is Irish and clearly proud of it, as he should be.
What I don’t get is the fans, how can you embrace a player who is clearly not from your country?
Both my parents were Irish but I was born and have lived my whole life in England, I’m English. I sound English, I have a UK passport. I respect Ireland but I have no real knowledge or affinity for it apart from my parents and some nice holidays there. I like going on holiday in France but I’m not French!
And this is the crux - My mother-in-law was born in England, moved to Ireland in the 1950s to marry an Irish guy - never lost her strong English accent to the day she died - and spent her years in Ireland cheering for Ireland at every sport, and hating on England every time Ireland were competing with them. Her daughter, born and raised in Ireland, moved to England for work in the NHS, married and English guy and has four kids - all of her children regarded themselves as English and we have a good old banter every time we get the chance.

faoiléan has a different perspective - and similarly Grealish grew up in an Irish family environment in Birmingham - played gaelic football and hurling in Birmingham etc - him and his dad talked about how proud they were that he was playing for Ireland - but he and his dad had their head turned by money - fair play to them - I don't have a problem with it but the reason why it happened should be acknowledged.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I keep coming onto this thread hoping for an update on Evan's injury.

But no, it's been derailed, as happens with any thread that mentions the word "Ireland". Tedious bollocks, and the ignore button can only do so much.

Is there any more information on Evan?
Being assessed by club doctors today in Brighton - doesn't look serious according to reports in Ireland - but he might miss next PL game.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Being assessed by club doctors today in Brighton - doesn't look serious according to reports in Ireland - but he might miss next PL game.

Reposted for the benefit of all those who have put the Irish giant on ignore :thumbsup:
Then perhaps I should apologise for my moan - the ignore function doesn't discriminate between a useful snippet and other posts and I missed it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Reposted for the benefit of all those who have put the Irish giant on ignore :thumbsup:
I don't have have him on ignore but found your reply amusing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here