Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeding the poor/homeless - POLITICS

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sometimes give money to people sat outside the local coop on Lewes Road or out and about round town and make a point of telling my little one how lucky we are. I try and make a judgement call on if they will waste it, but that can be hard call to make as you never know someones personal reasons for being on the street, if they are holding a can of extra strength cider I obviously ignore them. We have a clear out every now and again and the last time we had some clothes and two old duvets which I then drove down to the Lidel opposite the Hobgoblin and asked the man who sleeps there if he wanted to have a look through the clothes before I put them in the clothes bank, he took a few jumpers and a pair of jeans and duvets he was a nice chap. However yesterday after the little one ran the children's marathon we were walking about town and the same bloke with a dog asked me three times for money within an hour on the third occasion I actually told him not to ask me again and he told me to feck off in front of the little one.

Side note: Tony Bloom came rushing into the tent as all the kids were leaving to go to the start and was the last parent registering his child in the tent, perhaps he celebrated a little to much Saturday night me thinks....

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Usually a judgement call but there's a poor bloke who sits outside the Sainsbury's above London Road that I pass every morning on my way to the station and then another chap who murders tunes on his penny whistle up by the back entrance to the station who quite obviously are rough sleepers. I don't often give out spare change but I make exceptions for these two.

I see those two, think the sainsburys bloke has a little white dog, I see them in the evenings though

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Don't really get beggars or street sleepers where I live but when I was in Brighton I started off giving money but that just got impossible with the amount of people asking for money so I stopped and changed to giving all my unwanted clothing and other helpful items to various homeless charities.
Now I have changed completely and all my charity goes to emmaus because they support people who want to work and contribute or The Dogs Trust because dogs are better than humans in many ways and cannot help themselves when people are dicks to them. I lived in Brighton for over twenty years and by and large the homeless community was made up of a hardcore set of drunks and drug users and they seemed to stay in that position with that lifestyle for two decades + as I still see the same faces whenever I go back. Come off it. If you're gonna spend 20 years on your arse with no attempt at change then you're not getting my charity. I know it's complicated but there's limits!

I've lived in Brighton since 1982, I don't think I've seen the same faces on the street for two decades at a time, but there are definitely more and more rough sleepers and many more women than there used to be

Lush

Mods' Pet
I sometimes give money to people sat outside the local coop on Lewes Road or out and about round town and make a point of telling my little one how lucky we are. I try and make a judgement call on if they will waste it, but that can be hard call to make as you never know someones personal reasons for being on the street, if they are holding a can of extra strength cider I obviously ignore them. We have a clear out every now and again and the last time we had some clothes and two old duvets which I then drove down to the Lidel opposite the Hobgoblin and asked the man who sleeps there if he wanted to have a look through the clothes before I put them in the clothes bank, he took a few jumpers and a pair of jeans and duvets he was a nice chap. However yesterday after the little one ran the children's marathon we were walking about town and the same bloke with a dog asked me three times for money within an hour on the third occasion I actually told him not to ask me again and he told me to feck off in front of the little one.

That's probably because he was desperate for money. Or clothes that can be sold for money.

The one thing that's certain is that people on the streets are there because they're in a bad place in their lives.

Whether giving them clothes/money/food direct is the best way to help them get to a better place, is less certain.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The one thing that's certain is that people on the streets are there because they're in a bad place in their lives.

Some of them are on the streets because they ran away from a bad place in their lives. Plenty of homeless people grew up in abusive homes or with drug/alcohol addicted parents. A lot of homeless people are facing the consequence of their disturbed childhood. We shouldn't judge them. Understanding them would go a lot further.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Some of them are on the streets because they ran away from a bad place in their lives. Plenty of homeless people grew up in abusive homes or with drug/alcohol addicted parents. A lot of homeless people are facing the consequence of their disturbed childhood. We shouldn't judge them. Understanding them would go a lot further.

and care homes as children with little support as adults

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

Absolutely this with bells on.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I always give some change if they ask as I'm going into a shop as I feel like an ******** if I dont

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's a tough one-to give somewhere inside me a voice say's "don't be the fool or encourage them to take the piss out of me"

That said,whilst i have my health and work ethic i know-there will be more opportunity for me to recoup,what i could easily waste buying unnecessary stuff anyway.

I also think,if i was in their position i would work my guts out and swallow a lot of pride to get myself out of the situation,besides i have a family to support.

I just ultimately think maybe give a little and give them the time of day....who knows why they are where they are,so should not judge really.

Enough to buy a coffee but too short to buy a few special brew..

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I can 100% understand your kindness and generosity, the problem is the Big Issue sellers have strict rules and if they do take that from you they could get their license to sell revoked. the guy the sells them in Reading used to ask for a coffee when I bought one of him. in theory he is not allowed to ask me that. So I would buy a coffee before buying the copy of the mag. Give him the money for the mag and offer him the coffee, so he did not have to ask.

It is worth reading up the rules that the big issue sellers have to abide by, if you have not done so already the last thing you would want is for their license to be revoked because of your kindness.

Not sure about the rules for Big Issue Sellers but I was miffed with one the other week. I was walking along Western Road saw a BI seller but did not want to buy one. However, I felt in my pocket and found £2 in change and told him to put it towards a coffee or something. He looked at the £2 and he said "is that all, that's not enough". I said "well that is all your going to get."
He cursed me as I walked away. Cheeky b****r.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here