Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fawlty Towers episode removed from UKTV

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder what Nigel Farage's wife and children make of the " Don't mention The War" skit? Do they view it as a bit of harmless fun or a constant reminder of shame for a nation that has worked hard to attone for its previous mistakes?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I wonder what Nigel Farage's wife and children make of the " Don't mention The War" skit? Do they view it as a bit of harmless fun or a constant reminder of shame for a nation that has worked hard to atone for its previous mistakes?

Tbf I've never actually wondered that.

What other folks are watching, or think of their viewings, has no impact upon me whatsoever.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: This episode of FT is still available in full on Britbox and Netflix and always has been. And it will be back soon "within days" on UKTV with a warning strap according to reports.
Internal debate by broadcasters about how to warn users that a TV show might have language that could cause harm and offense is routine. (and casual use of the N word and W word is offensive to many) . Things change and events change things. Racial language and slurs is now far more offensive in surveys (that Ofcom do and regulate the broadcasters which explains the caution) than sexual language for example.

Back in November, various papers were using it as a stick to criticise the BBC on the basis that it was unedited.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sode-containing-N-word-broadcast-Britbox.html

PS: The torrent of opinion yesterday that this was actually about the BBC censoring Cleese being rude to Germans was always a bit odd given that clips of him doing exactly that - from "The Germans" episode have been on the BBC website for many years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074nwy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Although I don't think the phrase "Don't mention the war" is the reason it was pulled.

In the same episode, The Major refers to n*****s and w**s when talking about the cricket

Yeah that’s right... which ones were the wogs thinking back.

Of course they don't only the right ons get offended and as this board has a fair few you'll always be banging your head against a brick wall , talk about living in a bubble :hilton:
Regards
DF

Well, to be fair, I usually agree with a lot of the 'right on's' on here haha but I just can't on this one.

It's like the plaque removals in the city centre, I just don't get it. Surely having them there or having them removed and replaced with plaques that educate on their links to a bad past, as well as any good they did, would be much more appropriate and give people an education.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Once re-instated will attract a wider audience from people who may not have known about it in the 1st place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here