Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite U2 Track

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Stay (Faraway, So Close), we have just started to rehearse this as I've been wanting to do this for ages.
Well ahead of all the rest.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I was fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time to have seen U2 6 times in what turned out to be their pivotal year, as they went from hotly tipped nearly men (December 1980, still supporting Talking Heads) to major stars (December 1981, 2 sell out headline shows at the Lyceum in London).

The things that stuck in my mind most were hearing I Will Follow for the first time during their Talking Heads Hammersmith Palais support slot, and realising that these guys really had something; Out of Control at the Lyceum in February 1981, and Bono's infectious sense of sheer wonderment at headlining a major London gig for the first time; and the triumphant joy of a band in full flow who now knew they had made it big, as they belted out Gloria to open the Lyceum shows in December that year (I was at both of them).

The adrenalin of the latter wins it for me.

So, Gloria it is.

However, i still can't forgive Bono for disappearing into a giant vat of egotistical smugness just a couple of years after giving me such exhilirating highs.

Last edited:

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
With or Without you

But so many from early albums are really good -and more raw than the claptrap they've served on more recent offerings.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Achtung_Bono_cover.jpg

Enough said.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
I was fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time to have seen U2 6 times in what turned out to be their pivotal year, as they went from hotly tipped nearly men (December 1980, still supporting Talking Heads) to major stars (December 1981, 2 sell out headline shows at the Lyceum in London).

The things that stuck in my mind most were hearing I Will Follow for the first time during their Talking Heads Hammersmith Palais support slot, and realising that these guys really had something; Out of Control at the Lyceum in February 1981, and Bono's infectious sense of sheer wonderment at headlining a major London gig for the first time; and the triumphant joy of a band in full flow who now knew they had made it big, as they belted out Gloria to open the Lyceum shows in December that year (I was at both of them).

The adrenalin of the latter wins it for me.

So, Gloria it is.

However, i still can't forgive Bono for disappearing into a giant vat of egotistical smugness just a couple of years after giving me such exhilirating highs.

Agree with all of that, I like the way you described "Bono's infectious sense of sheer wonderment", I only saw them when they were at the 'wonderment' stage with them being fairly new to performing in London. It was on a support slot (I think) to Echo & the Bunnymen, I think it was Electric Ballroom, but cant quite remember except that it was 50p entrance & first drink free...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Agree with all of that, I like the way you described "Bono's infectious sense of sheer wonderment", I only saw them when they were at the 'wonderment' stage with them being fairly new to performing in London. It was on a support slot (I think) to Echo & the Bunnymen, I think it was Electric Ballroom, but cant quite remember except that it was 50p entrance & first drink free...

They did support the Bunnymen in 1980 shortly before the Talking Heads gig - although I missed it. I believe this video is from that Bunnymen slot. Musically not brilliant, but I think it captures the energy they once had really well. Doesn't legend have it that Bono split his leather trousers leaping off the speaker stack during this?

[yt]SNX95XM_v7I[/yt]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The bit right when the cd stops. Not a great fan to be fair.

Although I di like....haven't found what I'm looking for. I think it's called...the live version with the gospel choir is good

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
They did support the Bunnymen in 1980 shortly before the Talking Heads gig - although I missed it. I believe this video is from that Bunnymen slot. Musically not brilliant, but I think it captures the energy they once had really well. Doesn't legend have it that Bono split his leather trousers leaping off the speaker stack during this?

[yt]SNX95XM_v7I[/yt]

Thanks for that! Don't think thats the Electric Ballroom or Music Machine though but certainly the white shirt and strides were the same. In fact I usually wore plastic versions of those at most of the gigs I went to back then, I was cool and a bit smelly...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The bit right when the cd stops. Not a great fan to be fair.

Although I di like....haven't found what I'm looking for. I think it's called...the live version with the gospel choir is good

and speaking of choirs , I quite like this too (and everything by this lot)

[yt]dcjec7WZ41s[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here