Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Stranglers song

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Tricky one that.

I reckon Peaches. Could easily be Nice and Sleazy, Strange Little Girl, Something Better Change. Then there's No More Heroes and Golden Brown.

I also unashamedly love Always the Sun.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Tricky one that.

I reckon Peaches. Could easily be Nice and Sleazy, Strange Little Girl, Something Better Change. Then there's No More Heroes and Golden Brown.

I also unashamedly love Always the Sun.

Golden Brown and Always the Sun are winners every time (walk on by may sneak in too!)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Really difficult to pin it down to one down to one track. However, you have nailed with reference to that 'grunt' bass note. People often bang on about legendary lead/rhythm guitar tones but JJB's bass is an absolute classic. And of course that tone with combined with Greenfield's Hammond organ runs and Cornwall's sparse trebly telecaster sound just blend superbly.

Greatest memory from school days was when at the end of term the music teacher let everyone play a track from their fave band. Imagine his dismay when one of my mates got him to play 'Bring on The Nubiles'. I think we got into about 2 mins before the teacher dived across to turn it off. Quite honestly the teacher should have known better since on entering the classroom he had already asked the same mate to remove the lurid badge on his blazer which said ' I Feel Like A Wog'

That sounds familiar to my addled brain, was it Mr Murray at Patcham Fawcett ?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVXNSLSG0Y

Down in the Sewer.

Not only my favourite Stranglers song, but one of my all-time favourite songs ever. Full stop.

Featuring the best bass guitarist too, the utterly brilliant Jean-Jacque Burnel.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Too many. But, apt for our season ahead...

SOMETHING BETTER CHANGE

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
That sounds familiar to my addled brain, was it Mr Murray at Patcham Fawcett ?

No it was the much maligned Mr Reid ( aka 'Flasher') at the Bishop Bell school in Eastbourne. The irony was that years later that pupil became a teacher!

On reflection I recall that the song that first got me into them was 5 Minutes and whilst still struggling to pick a fave track surely their version got Walk On By is stunning. The unofficial biography No Mercy is a great read with tales of his aside from the music trouble followed them around not aided by aspects such as their security/early fan club being mainly composed of a bunch of Hells Angels

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I can only remember 'Peaches' :)

I was backstage at a Billy Connoly concert, and it was from him that I first heard about them. He loved them. Not really my thing though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No More Heroes
The Raven
Tank
Down in the Sewer
Walk on By
Toiler on the Sea
Goodbye Toulouse
Sweden
There's always the Sun
Ugly

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gawd bless The Stranglers. Entry-level punk for people who didn't really get punk and who would really have preferred listening to The Doors. Nevermind, punk was a BROAD church if nothing else.

Used to love the FRISSON of excitement whenever Radio One played 'Peaches' because you never knew if the Beeb were going to up-phuck and play the non-approved version 'Is she trying to get out of that clitORis?' :ohmy: Always seemed like a small victory for punk mankind when that happened :lol:

Gotta say tho that their finest moment IMHO is their cover of 'Walk On By'

:bowdown:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Intriguing to hear other people's favourites

great to see London lady,Midnight Summer Dream,Bear Cage & Paradise get mentions

the offical Stranglers site did a survey last year on this very subject

the winner was Down In The Sewer,hard to argue with that

but,but my favourite has always been Walk On By

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Intriguing to hear other people's favourites

great to see London lady,Midnight Summer Dream,Bear Cage & Paradise get mentions

the offical Stranglers site did a survey last year on this very subject

the winner was Down In The Sewer,hard to argue with that

but,but my favourite has always been Walk On By

I wondered when you would show up :) a few days away from NSC and someone starts a Stranglers thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here