Favourite Female Singer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Impossible to pick a favourite, it's almost endless. If Pushed, off the top of my head I would certainly include the following : Bajka, Bjork, Hope Sandoval, Mary Gauthier, all of the Be Good Tanya's, Dolly Parton, Savina Yannatou, Oumou Sangare, Sally Nyolo, Souad Massi, Sainkho Namtchylak and Sandra Cross.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Minnie Ripperton, check out her greatest hits if you have a lady to entertain & you will surely be rummaging around in her stash. She really was one of the greatest singers of all time. Most people know her for "Loving You" but there are just so many beautiful performances it's difficult to pick just one stand out performance.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
My favourite would probably be Kristin Hersh of Throwing Muses.

Also love Joanna Newsom, Elizabeth Fraser, Bjork, Sandy Denny, Jarboe, Chan Marshall (Cat Power), Beth Gibbons, PJ Harvey, Mimi Parker, Patti Smith and Nico
Probably one of those 4, for me. Quite enjoyed Beth Hirsch's collaboration with Air on the "Moon Safari" album as well.

Also enjoy a bit of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Minnie Riperton (mentioned just above).

Minnie Ripperton, check out her greatest hits if you have a lady to entertain & you will surely be rummaging around in her stash. She really was one of the greatest singers of all time. Most people know her for "Loving You" but there are just so many beautiful performances it's difficult to pick just one stand out performance.
Les Fleurs. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
go on have a listen and feedback.

I like her. The song sounds a bit dated though. It reminds me of that Lisa Loeb one hit wonder. She's got quite an idiosyncratic (girly)* voice but can definitely hold a note and the lyrics are pretty good too. I'll check out some of her other stuff.

*not meant as a criticism - I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. By the way another vote for Karen Carpenter and I forgot to mention the late, very great Kirsty MacColl.

2 other up and coming singers that I like are Paisley from Paisley and Charlie (they're a Brighton band that do wonderful dream pop and I adore them) and also Polly Scattergood who is a great singer/songwriter and is being championed by Vince Clarke.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
[yt]YApNirMC9gM[/yt]

I`m a sucker for this gals voice

[yt]1uunRdQ61M[/yt]

Last edited:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Used to be Emmylou Harris. It's now Adriel Harris, who is in Cory Chisel's band. Beside being incredibly talented, she's also stunningly attractive.

D

Deleted member 18477

Frankie out of the Saturday's - bang tidy!!!!!

Pixie Lott - Band Tidy!!!!!

Rhianna - Bang Tidy!!!!!!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Aretha Franklin
Dionne Warwick
Ella Fitzgerald
Randy Crawford

and more recently, Kirsty McColl, Adele.

One for the future... Rebecca Ferguson (new album coming out soon).I think she'll be massive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports