Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fare dodging

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I think "The Rivet" summed it up for me. I, for one, am getting sick of hearing about kids who have no respect for the law or their responsibility to society by doing what the hell they like with no fear of any action getting taken against them, legal or otherwise. They seem to be able to quote their "rights" all day long but have no interest in acting in a way that doesn't cause distress or inconvenience to other people. Not sure if its the fault of the police / parents / the courts / teachers / the government or a combination but we now seem to have a generation of feral brats who need a clip round the ear. Maybe if blokes like the big fella on the train had taken a stand sooner we wouldn't have got to the stage where a dad got beaten to death outside his home after months or years of abuse by gangs of hooligans.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Just a question to those that travel by public transport. How many times a year are you f**ked off with your fellow passengers?

As somebody who commutes regularly by bus and train, and also away days to see the albion, I HATE with a passion most of my fellow passengers! Bleedin music up full blast, idiots with feet on seats, people with bags on seats who tut when you want to sit down! Not to mention the great unwashed.... Awful I tell you, wish traffic wasnt so bad everywhere and Id happily stick to my own personal space in the car!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just a question to those that travel by public transport. How many times a year are you f**ked off with your fellow passengers?

Very very rarely, I've learnt to turn off. I'm particularly docile on the way to work - never really understood that frustration in the morning - and deliberately view it as an extension of being asleep. Sounds odd, but it works for me. I often have a nap standing up.

In London, when I used to have to get the Northern Line - I fell in love with buses. Used to get a bus from Clapham all the way to Camden and it would take an hour. Yes I know some on here take much longer than that to get to work, but it used to take twice the time of the tube and I'd have to get up an hour earlier to get on it.

BUT ! - I soon realised, I could have a sleep on the bus and got so used to it - I would automatically wake up when I got to Camden. Brilliant - a moving lie in.

Don't understand the "personal space" weirdness either. We are all trying to get to work, just be calm and the journey will be ten times easier. A book (or a Kindle definitely) helps. Easy to read in a confined space, unlike a newspaper.

These days I have an embarrassing easy journey to work and back for half the week. Although I travel rush hour, I usually going "against it" and am almost guaranteed a seat.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Interesting to see no actual 'Real time' footage has been shown by the railway company. Bear in mind how they all claim CCTV operates in this carriage 'FOR YOUR SAFETY AND PROTECTION'? Really ?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Ha ha I remember Jez. Worlds loudest burper if I remember right.I still remember where I was when I heard the news. Up Viccy park with evryone.

Nige Erskine would never have had to stump up ten bob......amateur.

Yep Sid was a very sad time and he was killed when should have been at BHA v Palace Aug 17th 1974 the only game he had ever missed, should have been with me , dad and sis in the North stand ( start of the real Palace rivalry ) watching Ian Mellor's goal beat The Scum, but was asked to accompany some Scouts on a boat trip as a Senior Sea Scout aged just 18, replacing someone else on board and was knocked overboard and drowned but his body was not found for two weeks so no one was certain , awful time. Loudest burper - correct Sid haha and he was very proud of that . Member of the VPM Victoria Park Mob just like you, me and Erskine. Fun times before this tragedy. He is at the Amex in spirit and we got his photo onto the Mosaic in Dick's Bar.

Attachments

• img088.jpg
    img088.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 26

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I don't get all this. When I caught the early morning train from Newhaven to London and the ticket girl was on holiday nobody covered her. You just got on and paid the ticket inspector when he came along. In fact he would shout "tickets from Newhaven", Southease or whatever. Nobody accused me of fare dodging. This was only about 4 years ago, Have things changed?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I dodged a fare just under three weeks ago from Brighton to London for the first time since I was a kid (70's)... I would have paid if a train guard had asked for tickets but no-one did and I walked through the baggage turnstile at Victoria... was a right result!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't get all this. When I caught the early morning train from Newhaven to London and the ticket girl was on holiday nobody covered her. You just got on and paid the ticket inspector when he came along. In fact he would shout "tickets from Newhaven", Southease or whatever. Nobody accused me of fare dodging. This was only about 4 years ago, Have things changed?

Yeah, you have to go through the barriers in London. That catches most of the wise guys.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I dodged a fare just under three weeks ago from Brighton to London for the first time since I was a kid (70's)... I would have paid if a train guard had asked for tickets but no-one did and I walked through the baggage turnstile at Victoria... was a right result!

Right only if you'd then bought a ticket for same fare at Victoria ticket office. BTW I'm sure you used to be able to pay an excess fare on arrival at the gate, can you not do that anymore?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here