Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Greg Stanley you dirty Chelsea cvnt take a look at the Amex!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Remember the initial £7.4m Goldstone sale was the visible tip of the iceberg. That paid off the bank, Revenue and directors loans.

Samrah & Knight acted valiantly, and the Argus, but only managed to prevent the well known attempt at profiteering.

It was the £24m deal to Abbey Life 18 months later at open market value for the same property that indicated to all, that the £7.4m earlier deal seemed on the low side and just enough to make Barclays and the Revenue go away.

Then Chartwell and Focus worked together on future deals elsewhere in the UK. Sunderland is often mentioned for some reason.

Bellotti never had equity, just a job. He was just a hapless puppet who took the flack. It was the others who's wealth grew still further.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It's the whole thing relating to football clubs.

It should be written into the Memorandum and Articles of Association so that this sort of thing just cannot happen.

This situation has cropped up on so many occasions where predator individuals have bought a controlling interest and have shafted the club resulting in liquidation or, as we are seeing today, a club being bought and 'immediately mortgaged' and asset stripped - does this ring a bell ?

If I or someone else rolled up and said I wanted to buy XYZ football club for example, it is one thing to say I want to do it but, on the other hand, what are my true objectives ? NO WAY should anyone be able to complete a purchase of the controlling interest without first having been subject to due dilligence, ie having been subject to scrutiny in terms not only of their financial status but, more importantly, their objectives !

I am sure there are legal bods on here hugely better able to reflect the scenario but just look at the clubs which have suffered from predatory takeovers and look at the individuals who keep cropping up as the supposed saviour.

Forgive me if I seem to be talking b------s but I am sure that many will understand where I am coming from.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
another jcl:facepalm:

johnny come lately as far as this forum goes my friend. been albion though and through for a long time, earnt my stripes long before all this nonsense.

as bushy said, tough call, a bundle of easy money but the downside is you piss off a few locals. probably do it myself but wouldn't take the piss by living in the same county! he was out to rinse us from the outset and got others (who also did very well) to take most of the shit. what goes around comes around and i'd like to see him get what he deserves!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
as bushy said, tough call, a bundle of easy money but the downside is you piss off a few locals.

You really think it was a "tough call"? You really don't think they knew exactly what they were doing?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
mmmm where has this awareness suddenly appeared from? Back in 1995-97 those who knew that Stanley was the cause were largely ignored. Pity because he was also the vulnerable one.

Water under the bridge now I guess.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Right, bit of a difficult one here, how many of you if faced with the choice of making 7 million quid , or keeping open a small club that really doesnt mean anything to you would keep the small club open ?

Would be very interested to hear your answer to your question Bushy as I had you down for one that valued community above a few quid. Although the thought that you are on a wind up is in the forefront of my mind, I believe that as a successful business man (not me) I would in that situation find another way to make my cash, without tearing apart a valued part of a community (if I was part of that community or not). But then to me morals and principles are more important to me than money, unlike Archer, Stanley and Belotti, and possibly yourself if you feel the need to ask that question and are not on the wind up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would never back whatever Stanley did, but remember that Bamber brought him in when Brighton were on their knees thanks to Bamber. At the time I remember the 1 mill loan as many others did and thought it was a God send. Little did we know that Stanley would get his cronies involved and sink Brighton to the depths of near extinction. Stanley was definitely one of the three that doesn't seem to get the grief the other two do. I knew the bloke and to be honest he was just a drunk. Whatever he did to build the Stanley empire I have no idea, but my guess is he inherited it. Because whenever I saw him he was pissed. And I saw him many, many times in EP with his hangers on and henchmen. And any time I ever asked him why he had tried to make Brighton extinct he'd look at me with pissed eyes and talk a load of twat. As it is he now lives in Spain, but I can get his address if anyone wants it. :tosser:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Whilst we all remember the history of what these 3 did, I do honestly think it is just time to move on, we have a fantastic new stadium, we are newly promoted into the championship, we have great times ahead.

Personally I wouldnt spit on any of the 3 of them if they were on fire, but I am not going to let the future be marred by what they did, history can't be changed, Unfortunately !!

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
Whilst we all remember the history of what these 3 did, I do honestly think it is just time to move on, we have a fantastic new stadium, we are newly promoted into the championship, we have great times ahead.

Personally I wouldnt spit on any of the 3 of them if they were on fire, but I am not going to let the future be marred by what they did, history can't be changed, Unfortunately !!

This This This.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
We probably wouldn't be enjoying this new era so much and be so excited about it unless we had sunk so low previously . Sort of gives us and this club its special identity .

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
We probably wouldn't be enjoying this new era so much and be so excited about it unless we had sunk so low previously . Sort of gives us and this club its special identity .

This is so true, in all honesty The Goldstone was in dire need of major refurbishment anyway, probably virtual rebuild in fact, so look on the bright side....they done us a favour :)

Maybe we should actually be thanking Bellotti and co ?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Right, bit of a difficult one here, how many of you if faced with the choice of making 7 million quid , or keeping open a small club that really doesnt mean anything to you would keep the small club open ?
This is the beauty of having the "Boss" as a fan...We all know TB is not in it for the money!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's the whole thing relating to football clubs.

It should be written into the Memorandum and Articles of Association so that this sort of thing just cannot happen.

This situation has cropped up on so many occasions where predator individuals have bought a controlling interest and have shafted the club resulting in liquidation or, as we are seeing today, a club being bought and 'immediately mortgaged' and asset stripped - does this ring a bell ?

If I or someone else rolled up and said I wanted to buy XYZ football club for example, it is one thing to say I want to do it but, on the other hand, what are my true objectives ? NO WAY should anyone be able to complete a purchase of the controlling interest without first having been subject to due dilligence, ie having been subject to scrutiny in terms not only of their financial status but, more importantly, their objectives !

I am sure there are legal bods on here hugely better able to reflect the scenario but just look at the clubs which have suffered from predatory takeovers and look at the individuals who keep cropping up as the supposed saviour.

Forgive me if I seem to be talking bATEs but I am sure that many will understand where I am coming from.
FILLED IN THE MYSTERY WORD,I therefore claim my prize

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Not seen GS for years in these parts.Knew his late Mum & Dad very well-lovely people, shame about the children.He has more than one residency I'm sure.If I see him in our local EP OneStop or Londis I'll let you know!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This is so true, in all honesty The Goldstone was in dire need of major refurbishment anyway, probably virtual rebuild in fact, so look on the bright side....they done us a favour :)

I sort of agree,but they also caused us a shit load of stress.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

I for one will never forgive these three and certainly won't be thanking them! Thanks for where we are now goes to many people. Brady, Gritt, Hart, Samrah, Knight, Prescott, Bloom, Poyet and many many more.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Stanley did not have the business acumen. Fads was 100% built-up by his father who was ahead of his time in that sector in Sussex.
And Archer was the brains of Focus-Wickes.

Stanley's father left many £m's to his children in Trust, and that Trust lent BHAFC £600,000. NOT interest or penalty free, unlike normal director or shareholder loans to football clubs.

Archer being the brains and with no emotional tie to Sussex, was behind the schemes 1 (uncovered and unsuccesful), and the less obvious lucrative scheme 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here