Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Bad weekend for Lancashire twats

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It rather sounds like this Blackpool lad (whilst RIP'ing him) went in search of trouble and was as much an active participant in all this as the Burnley fans. Had he walked away, perhaps is family would not be grieving right now.

The truth will eventually out. Either way, he has sadly passed and another idiot has his death on the conscience.

I do struggle with the culture we have allowed to emerge in this country. We are too narcissistic, drunk, loud mouthed, aggressive, and classless. I'm no Mary Whitehouse, but God we need to get a grip of ourselves and start to become more caring.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Sadly every club has its share of idiots for whom having a scrap is part of a day out, no matter the consequences. Some clubs have more than others.

I doubt any/many of them genuinely go into it thinking that they are going to kill or be killed but especially in today’s society you know that once you go down that route the outcome cannot be predicted.

What a waste of a life, sadly he won’t be the last.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It rather sounds like this Blackpool lad (whilst RIP'ing him) went in search of trouble and was as much an active participant in all this as the Burnley fans. Had he walked away, perhaps is family would not be grieving right now.

The truth will eventually out. Either way, he has sadly passed and another idiot has his death on the conscience.

I do struggle with the culture we have allowed to emerge in this country. We are too narcissistic, drunk, loud mouthed, aggressive, and classless. I'm no Mary Whitehouse, but God we need to get a grip of ourselves and start to become more caring.
On a slightly related note, I heard a bit of Max Rushden and Barry Glendening yesterday talking about the statement put out by United and Liverpool last week to try and prevent 'tragedy chanting' at the game. They both made the point that if you're appealing to a 40/50-year old man (or it could be a woman), then there isn't much hope, given that they are well past the late teenage years where it could be more understandable, but still not right.

Essentially, if you haven't grown out of that level of abuse when you've actually grown up, you're never likely to, not even when the manager of your football club suggests it might be a good idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That comes from the top down so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don’t think it has emerged recently. There was a lot more of this around football in the past. I agree with the overall sentiment though. Friday/Saturday night drinking culture is celebrated in this country (and indeed on NSC) over restaurant culture. I remember Brighton being pretty messy at weekends in the 80s. As 5 pm approaches on Fridays in Liverpool the serenade of police sirens gathers pace….,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On a slightly related note, I heard a bit of Max Rushden and Barry Glendening yesterday talking about the statement put out by United and Liverpool last week to try and prevent 'tragedy chanting' at the game. They both made the point that if you're appealing to a 40/50-year old man (or it could be a woman), then there isn't much hope, given that they are well past the late teenage years where it could be more understandable, but still not right.

Essentially, if you haven't grown out of that level of abuse when you've actually grown up, you're never likely to, not even when the manager of your football club suggests it might be a good idea.
It wouldn't be hard to pin point about a dozen singing the chants using cctv and then ban them. Message would soon sink home.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Indeed. There is a strong element of "don't tell me what to do" with people like this. They revel in it, they're proud of it, and they absolutely relish their "defiance", because in their sad lives it makes them feel big and hard.

We've all seen them. You simply can't reason with that mindset (if there is actually a mind in there at all).

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
800 000-900 000 going to football in the top six tiers of English football every week... and always just a handful of incidents, usually limited to some numptey yelling or singing something they shouldn't. Quite remarkable really.
It’s true but think of the planning and preventative measures (and cost) that goes into all of that. Take away all of that and it would have the potential to get very messy very quickly. Not everywhere, but in enough places to think it’s turned back into being a major problem again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't know whether it's due to wider coverage or not, but these incidents seem to have escalated due to lockdown.

The vast majority of folk seem to be fine with zero tolerance. It's a small percentage who can't cope with it. I much prefer the safe feeling that going to games brings now.

If folk can't cope with not being able to yell obscenities they need to chat with the 99% who can. I went to my first match in four years at the AMEX the other week. Really enjoyed it. The only bloke who was yelling and swearing stood out like a sore thumb. You can enjoy a match without it, honest. Just support your team.

But the pub incident is sad. Most of is just posturing and bravado these days. Just occasionally it flares. But I think it's much rarer. I remember travelling away to four matches in the North-West in a row in the early 90s and having bother at all of them. I think it's much better now. But there has been an increase it seems, and with the scrutiny there is now it seems they just don't care.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Sadly absolutely seems to be the case, footage has turned up online (I’m obviously not posting) and would appear a group of Blackpool fans including the deceased approach the pub with some Burnley fans outside.

A mindless death, RIP

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s true but think of the planning and preventative measures (and cost) that goes into all of that. Take away all of that and it would have the potential to get very messy very quickly. Not everywhere, but in enough places to think it’s turned back into being a major problem again.
CCTV, laws eg banning orders, police intelligence, convictions and stewarding have been a huge game-changer.

Even thicko’s seem aware. Not wanting to get caught.

Without all of that, tribal hate would’ve continued to generate mass violence. Feral dads and sons didn’t gentrify.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
horrible story the Blackpool one - RIP - very rare you hear of murders at football these days if ever…

Fell a bit sorry for the kid at Liverpool - mainly as he was 16 - very silly but hopefully learnt his lesson - just a little excited at Liverpool smashing Man U. Klopp went mental at him!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Sadly absolutely seems to be the case, footage has turned up online (I’m obviously not posting) and would appear a group of Blackpool fans including the deceased approach the pub with some Burnley fans outside.

A mindless death, RIP
It’s the pub designated for away fans. No reason for Blackpool fans to be there other than looking for trouble.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Flare on the pitch at Brentford tonight. Home side playing well until one of their own fans lobbed the incendiary onto the pitch. Lost their way thereafter. Currently 1-1

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not exactly a lad, 55yrs old should know better. Mind you seen plenty on the trains from Brighton to the amex well dosed up and looking for an excuse to kick off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here