Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - in memory

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I like that idea a lot, Mr Goodwin. :clap:

We could also follow the lead of Lords Cricket Ground and have banners/pictures of great performances or landmark occasions of players (with a brief history) and the club.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I have a dream.....and I have mooted this before.

About the dullest part of any new stadium I've been to is the area under the stands, where the shops/kiosks/burgers/toilets/stairways etc are. They are often painted some bland colour, could be anywhere.

Well, remember the Arsenal murel? Well, lets have our own but a 'living' one of real faces.

I've been watching Albion for nearly 40 years and 'faces in the crowd' is very apt. you see people, sometimes over many years. you may be on nodding terms or the odd 'hello' but you don't know them other than being a face in the crowd.

Being next to the University, how about a giant artwork of faces to cover those areas under the stands? people can pay, different rates for different areas so should be affordable for all, to face your, or the face of loved ones, painted as a crowd scene.

Imagine being able to bring back those loved ones so they are next to you on the wall. I know when | die i doubt anyone will come and see where my ashes are laid but, if when coming to falmer they can see me looking down, well, that's different. I could even have a picture of me as a young lad!

This could spread to be a massive work of art and a attraction in it's own right, as well as a fund raiser. £10 per head to be way up in the background or much much more to have a prominent position, maybe in the crowd next to a Wardy of Clough.

The idea is either mad or fantastic, what do you think? I'd love to be imortalised surrounded by my family, even with my Mum & dad alongside the grandchildren they never knew.

Could it work?

Great idea: mad AND fantastic...especially the latter.

:thumbsup:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Sounds like a great idea in practice however what happens five or ten years down the line when everything has faded and peeled?

It could certainly be used to brighten up specific areas though that could be managed more easily.

Nothing worse than that are beneath stands I agree and I can't remember a single stadium where anything inventive has been done to make these areas more appealing.

I think Reading is the worst example of this, well it certainly is for away fans. You never know whether home areas are decked out any better.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Cheers guys.

It's something i've thought a lot of, although and not an artistic type. I sort of envisage you supply a picture and some charateristics and then whoever does the artwork brings those characters to life. Some are grumpy, some wearing a fav hat, jumper scarf, smoking a fag, pipe, whatever, holding a paper...really it's down to making each character something really personal to those that care.

Nobody would be 'named' so, apart from spotting your 'own' crowd, you'll also have fun spotting those faces that you've seen over the years as well as those celebrity fans and old players.

It is an idea that excites me. Who knows, it could be a record breaker as a 'living' peice of artwork which just keeps growing. now that's 'Community'.

I don't want a brick, I want to be seen at falmer for long after I'm gone so my kids & grandchildren can see me too.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
"Sounds like a great idea in practice however what happens five or ten years down the line when everything has faded and peeled?"

Well that's why you get the Uni involved rather than a commercial firm. It then makes it an art project and it's part of the project that they consider such practical problems.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Freddie Goodwin.;2091123 Well that's why you get the Uni involved rather than a commercial firm. It then makes it an art project and it's part of the project that they consider such practical problems.[/QUOTE said:
Ok I will go along with that. Maybe bring in some kids from Falmer high school too, to make it an all encompassing community enterprise?

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
I think it's a fantastic idea. My Dad took me to all the home games at Withdean until he passed away in 2002. I still go regularly but it obviously will never feel the same. For all those times I've wished to see him in the crowd it would be amazing to see him there at Falmer, home at last. Would be a fitting tribute to all those who spent their lives supporting the club.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think some of the older peeps, who were taken by their dads when they were just kids, could see the charm in re-creating that scene.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hopefully my dad can keep going until the big kick-off. He's only 83.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here