Falmer: an announcement perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
From a long career as a newspaper journalist and later as a local government press officer, one thing is for certain:

If the Falmer decision is bad news the ODPM press office and its PR advisors/spin doctors will ensure the letter to the club and its lawyers plus any public announcement will go out on a Friday. Likely well before the season starts (ie 16 or 23 July).

If it’s good news the release day will be set for a Tuesday or possibly a Wednesday. Plus the timing will not be as crucial, so it could be after the start of the new season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should I Ignore this thread, as slightly better disguised wind up? :jester:

I need Lord B to comment before I'll accept it might be true :lol:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't believe any threads on Falmer now, we have seen so many 'no really, it's true' stories that frankly, I'm bored with it.

Most of us read this type of post and think that it sounds credible, but the fact is NOBODY REALLY HAS ANY IDEA, so what's the point !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Duncan H said:
Why a friday for bad news?

I'm guessing here, but presumably because any negative reaction will be tempered by the weekend.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
My theory is Tony Blair is going to step down in September and any good news stories will be held back until after that.

But..... Nobody knows we just have to wait, wait, wait. If these politicians worked in the private sector, no customer would put up with waiting for an answer like this.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Bad news is alays released late on a Friday afternoon. It stops peoples ability to reply. Well until Monday anyway. Usually tempers have calmed a bit by then.

It also ensures you have a shit weekend. How many people find out they're going to be made redundant on a Monday morning?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lammy said:

It also ensures you have a shit weekend. How many people find out they're going to be made redundant on a Monday morning?

Gordon Brown did that yesterday :)

"Gordon Brown has said he will not allow strike threats to derail his plans to axe 104,000 civil service jobs"

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
CrabtreeBHA said:
Gordon Brown did that yesterday :)

"Gordon Brown has said he will not allow strike threats to derail his plans to axe 104,000 civil service jobs"

How on earth do you go about firing 100,00 + people? That will be a costly exercise in itself

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Can we have a ban on all Falmer threads unless it is started by someone who KNOWS what is going on. By this i mean someone FROM the club, not someone who knows a guy whos best friend is going out with the uncle of someone who works for the company that used to have the contract to clean the offices.

Or someone like Lord B who as been involved via the public enquiry.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Lammy said:

I was told I was going to be made redundant on a Tuesday afternoon!! But that was okay as they let us have the rest of the day off!!

:lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think OTLW is coming in for some undeserved stick here. He's just trying to say how the decision will be announced based on his experiences. This doesn't fall into the category of the excerable 'comical' ones such as Prescot says yes ..... to lunch' or the "I've got a mate who knows the bloke Prescot plays darts with on Thursday night and he said ... blah blah blah" ones.

This is almost Bracknell standard ......

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
pasty said:
I'm guessing here, but presumably because any negative reaction will be tempered by the weekend.

Exactly

All government press officers are taught to bury bad news (that which could cause mas negative feedback) either on a day before a bank holiday or on a Friday. So the announcement goes out on a Friday - afternoon better than morning!

Must admit it used to gall me as a reporter, but once I became a PO I realised the value of Friday afternoon releases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports