Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallen out of love with The Albion

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Frustrated and down at times, puzzled by Potter at other junctures, bemused, confused, abused and mistreated by the PL VAR panto but...

I can’t fall out of love with the club, never. The situation is, at times, bewildering... a harsh reality indeed... but mark me, the club needs us all to be there, even more so in a time where boom is about to meet bust and I suspect the outcome will be none too pleasant.

Can we hope to finish about 8th, one distant day? Yes, with luck - with luck anything could happen! and that is why I will never walk out on the club as long as it exists.

Now is not the time for self effacing pity, or hand wringing self doubt - it’s about embracing the distraction no matter the raw emotion wrought therein.

Life is dull sometimes, life is sad sometimes but life is surely worth less without a dalliance with risky passion - personally I LOVE IT.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It's not that you have fallen out of love. I will never fall out of love with the Albion. However, it is the constant nail biting and pressure that accompanies our matches at the moment. You and I can't do anything to influence the game and as a result the helplessness surfaces as worry and fear which triggers the body's defence mechanism. The outcome is disassociation and distancing.

Hope that explains it. I am now associated again and non distancing after today's match.

TNBA

TTF (Professor of Clinical Psychiatry Oxon)

We have made slow and steady progress over these 4 years... as desired by our fans 4 years ago.

We are getting better and better every season. We have been SO unlucky this season, obviously, to be dragged into this relegation scrap.

It is quite clear that our current model will be a success. It is possible, but unlikely, that we will be in another relegation scrap next year... but with luck on our side, getting rid of some dead wood, and a few astute signings... this could be the last season we're in a relegation scrap for as long as we can keep hold of Potter.

We probably don't agree on this as I don't think luck is ever a factor across an entire season. But thanks for the rational reply, a feat beyond some

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only thing I don’t like about Potter is his interviews. Comes across very dispassionately. I’d prefer to see our manager being a bit more positive and assertive, rather than the bland predictable “meh” he tends to display.
Other than that I am certainly in the Potter In camp.

I don’t actually believe that you can’t see the improvement over the last two seasons, you just don’t like being wrong. You 100% have an agenda against Potter, for whatever reason. :smile:

I’m loving your ageist comment too, not content with ageing, it needs to be very ageing :lolol:

Grandad emoji is telling you he is laughing, everyone, bashing away on that keyboard ....

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
100% This season has been tough. Haven’t watched the last two games after the disappointments of the Palace and the WBA games. With covid life being so rubbish the disappointment of watching Brighton is too much! I’m certain it will all change when I can get back to the games. I want this season over ASAP. It’s rubbish. Not proper football.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was delighted when we were promoted to the top league and purchased a season ticket for the first time, at the end of the first season i began to realise that the days of entertaining football and playing sides who we were capable of defeating were not often, at the end of the second season i knew that to survive we had to mainly play a defensive style which bored me and i did not renew my season ticket.
I feel that in the Championship with our present coach and the majority of the team we could again turn on an entertaining display and be able to secure a position in the top half of the league

So you are only really interested when we are winning and entertaining. I think the vast majority of our fans knew that the first few seasons in the PL would be tough, it'll be survival to start with. To many of us it's not just the game, it the whole match experience. Going to away matches, meeting football friends you see only on football days, the years of struggle and now we can't even go to matches. I can't wait until next season.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
So you are only really interested when we are winning and entertaining. I think the vast majority of our fans knew that the first few seasons in the PL would be tough, it'll be survival to start with. To many of us it's not just the game, it the whole match experience. Going to away matches, meeting football friends you see only on football days, the years of struggle and now we can't even go to matches. I can't wait until next season.
i didnot mention winning,you can have an entertaining match and lose

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Ups and downs. Always been the way with following the Albion.
The difference between now and the Priestfield days though, is our problems are currently of the first world kind.

Although I don’t miss Gillingham as a whole, I do look fondly back on the Priestfield era (my first full season) when the football was only part of the experience.

Shouting / swearing unchallenged as a school kid and occasionally getting served in the pubs was a great time to be alive. The coaches always had an away feel to them and was always good travelling back with 3 points, not that often mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm the first in my family to have properly supported the Albion, since the 2001-02 season. I've never had a season ticket but I've still closely followed the team through thick and thin (maybe with the exception of one of the Wilkins seasons). I've been to games where possible, and I've enjoyed it so much.

VAR and the farce that we've seen since it was introduced to the PL has dampened my love of the game in general. I could have eventually been won over by it, however long it takes. But then...

The COVID era: the lack of atmosphere from not having fans in the stadium since the middle of last season was the second nail in my Albion-supporting coffin. It's so sad becasue I never envisaged it ending like this, but as others have said - the OP included - I just can't motivate myself to be enthused about the club, the League and the sport in general.

Such a shame, but maybe one day my love of the Albion will be rekindled like it once was.

Will be interesting scrolling through the replies on this thread when time allows.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s Brighton isn’t it...no matter where we are ...what the rules are ...who plays for us...who manages...etc....it’s Brighton...1968 until I pass :shrug:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In regards to luck, I have thought about this actually. WHY are we so unlucky?

Thinking about our bad luck... a large chunk of it comprises of refereeing/VAR decisions made against us.

I do think this is partly unconscious bias by refs - 50/50's are more likely to go against "little old Brighton" rather than the likes of Man Utd and others.

I also think, and this IS a criticism of Potter, he is too nice. Whereas other managers kick and scream at every bad decision, constantly in the fourth officials' ears. Always moaning about the refs decisions after the game.... Potter doesn't do any of that. It makes it easy for the refs to give decisions against us.

So I think you're right - the bad luck over the course of the season probably does have its causes, and part of it is down to the manager. But I don't think it is because he is doing anything wrong... just that sometimes it pays in football to whine and moan like a bitch... and Potter doesn't do that.

I doubt it’s due to niceness , more likely he thinks on balance it’s not worth kicking off against refs. Or cosying up to the media, for that matter. As a student of emotional intelligence maybe he’s onto something?
Don’t be fooled into thinking he’s too nice.
Look at how he discards players who let him down.
He’s as ruthless and calculating as the next manager

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just no chance, I’m in too deep. The club and their performance define my mood far more than I’d like to admit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here