Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I've heard the Argentinians are very keen to protect the sea bed. So much so that they've deployed the warship General Belgrano.

I'm sure the families of the 323 needlessly killed would appreciate this. Disrespectful in the extreme I'd say.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not going to happen pal, and what gives YOU the right to determine what happens to the inhabitants? joker.

Usual Anti Brit/UK mindset from a Jezza groupie take no notice. The self loathing left would hand back NI,Falklands,Gibraltar,ANother territory given half a chance despite the wishes of the people living there or the blood spilt retaining them.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I knew Rex Hunt. There were talks in the very early 80's about sovereignty between UK & Argentinian ministers. It wasn't just Ridley. Other countries' (note plural) politicians and diplomats acted as facilitators at different times. Obviously, no deal was concluded, but talks were held over at least an 18 month period.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The population of the Falklands is about the same size of those attending Cardinal Newman school. It really is comical in this day and age we are attempting to hold on to places like that. The Empire is long gone lads, give it up

In essence what you are saying then is that the Islanders can go :censored: themselves, and can stick their wishes and referendum up their arse.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One of our objectives evacuating Da Nang at the end of the Vietnam war was bringing Rex Hunt out, who was the British Consul General in Saigon. We didnt find him, he was out playing golf apparently, which sounded fairly ludicrous at the time, never mind now. Surprised to hear his name again in 1982. Trouble just seems to follow that man.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I knew Rex Hunt. There were talks in the very early 80's about sovereignty between UK & Argentinian ministers. It wasn't just Ridley. Other countries' (note plural) politicians and diplomats acted as facilitators at different times. Obviously, no deal was concluded, but talks were held over at least an 18 month period.

Which is what I've read and was led to believe that was part of the official history now the documents have been released.

This country was actively trying to NOT continue with the status quo as now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Usual Anti Brit/UK mindset from a Jezza groupie take no notice. The self loathing left would hand back NI,Falklands,Gibraltar,ANother territory given half a chance despite the wishes of the people living there or the blood spilt retaining them.

Ooh! What a vitriolic little post. Yes of course we need to hang on to our empire.

attachment.php

I wonder if the self loving left would do the same?

Attachments

• 1280px-List_of_countries_gained_independance_from_the_UK_2.svg.png
    1280px-List_of_countries_gained_independance_from_the_UK_2.svg.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 639

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My position is that there is no way the Falklands should be handed to Argentina for several reasons and I'd actually say a plebiscite of the handful of residents is one of the less convincing arguments because with so few inhabitants, it's actually fairly easy to gerrymander a result for any governing power. Better reasons as mentioned already on this thread, are that the islands are 300 miles off the coast of South America (unless we deserve a claim on Iceland), Argentina didn't even exist when the Falklands were first colonised, and finally Buzzer's comments on Argentina's "colonial power" whinging would seem to nullify their claims on the islands, seeing as they are relying on the say-so of the former Spanish empire.

However I will take issue with this:
I'm not having a pop at Argentinian citizens at all, its their leaders that tell them the lies.
As someone who seems to insist on evidence from others when some fairly outlandish accusations are made, perhaps you could direct us to some evidence that Argentina tells "lies" in school? I'd also be interested to know how these "lies" differ from what we teach our kids about certain wars we've fought.

More likely, I think we should just accept they have a different perspective rather than accusing them of telling lies. This is a country that would never have gone to war over these islands in any case if the military junta had't needed a war to create a diversion and prop itself up. Untrained kids of 17 years old lost their lives in a war they could never win. I just think we ought to respect that they will never see things the same way as we do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
More to the point what do they tell them about Ceuta and Melilla ?

From Wikipedia, "the Spanish position states that both Ceuta and Melilla are integral parts of Spain, and have been since the 16th century, whereas Gibraltar, being a British Overseas Territory, is not and never has been part of the United Kingdom."

Semantics to suit their agenda, IMO. Mind you I haven't been to Melilla but Ceuta is a shìthole, it's far worse than Gib (which itself is just a Spanish-speaking bloody hot Swindon with cheap fags). They're welcome to it.

Last edited:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Ooh! What a vitriolic little post. Yes of course we need to hang on to our empire.

attachment.php

I wonder if the self loving left would do the same?

That post has nothing to do with the Falklands? since when have the Falkland islands wanted independence?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However I will take issue with this:
As someone who seems to insist on evidence from others when some fairly outlandish accusations are made, perhaps you could direct us to some evidence that Argentina tells "lies" in school?
"When we are very young, we are told about them at school," 25-year-old Julia says. "We know that the islands are ours."

"Children are brainwashed," says 30-year-old Federico, "they are taught about the islands before they are old enough to understand."
"I was not brainwashed. I know that Las Malvinas are Argentine, for two reasons - historical and geographical."

Sorry, which historical reason is that? The islands have never belonged to Argentina - not that Argentinians will be taught that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-21673504

I'd also be interested to know how these "lies" differ from what we teach our kids about certain wars we've fought.
If we're told lies, then they don't really differ, they're lies. What do you think our children are currently lied to about? I don't think all our wars our were just and I don't teach my kids that they were. The Opium Wars for example, weren't that long ago and were completely wrong.

More likely, I think we should just accept they have a different perspective rather than accusing them of telling lies.
People on all sides should be told the truth, otherwise people will want to fight forever more based on falsehoods.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That post has nothing to do with the Falklands? since when have the Falkland islands wanted independence?

But it has everything to do with political will. See post #72

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good grief, you're quoting from the BBC as proof that Argentinian kids are taught "lies" about British territory? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if that's not bad enough, your quotes don't even prove your point! "I was not brainwashed. I know that Las Malvinas are Argentine, for two reasons - historical and geographical." There is nothing wrong with that, per se. Geographically, the Falklands ARE closer than any other nation. Historically, the Spanish ceded power to Argentina. Just because our perspective is different, it doesn't make these claims "lies".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

"I'm not speaking with a gun in my back....."

Other recordings in YouTube. One two hour recording on the night of the invasion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It is not anti Brit/UK to be anti imperialist. Our foreign territories are a reminder of an aggressive invasion of much of the world. We are what we are because of our dominance of the seas, our trading of the resources of other nations. That isn't anti British, that is the history of Britain, you can accept your own history without it being self loathing, the good and the bad.

However you are right, should the inhabitants of any of our 14 foreign territories wish independence, or sovereignty under someone else, we'd let them determine that democratically. We didn't spill blood to retain the territories, we spilt blood to protect the rights of the inhabitants. I think that is an important distinction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here