Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fake news

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It seems we are bombarded with biased news and fake news quite regularly and it's form depends on the medium, Fake News is the stuff that stampedes around the world on Facebook and Twatter whereas the biased news is mostly print based in the UK but also on tv channels in the US oh and RT !

I never actually try to source news online as that way lies madness so tbh I usually go to the BBC as being least worst.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Rolling news has made it worse, news channels now so desperate to be first to report a fact, that they do not check that it is a fact, and many of these incorrect reports are never retracted.

thats true. also the internet, probably more so, because you can "publish" anything, create a couple of fake sources and people dont check. an awful lot of conspiracy is built upon this, with a handful of websites regurgitating a myth often referencing each other, then an echo chamber of forums that point to these as proof.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
10 years ago at school we had to study posters and various other fake news items, they were called propaganda back then.

Scariest thing is both sides are horribly guilty of it and everyone in between too. I saw a pretty horrifying new survey that only 50 odd % of people aged 18-21 believe in freedom of speech.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I question things to the point of irritation. I have a habit of doing that in NSC.

'Fake news' is something I've been rallying against for years. Although it isn't so much the news itself as people's willingness to share it as fact.

I get very irritated when people who read Facebook share unsubstantiated posts, especially ones that claim Facebook will give money if you share a picture of a poor unfortunate person. (I actually think creating such posts should be a criminal offence).

Also there are recent ones with pictures of folks (mainly youngsters) with rotten debilitating conditions saying it's their birthday and nobody likes them. I don't believe they are true either and blasted a friend for sharing one the other day.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I tend to take more notice of articles that have actual quotes from the people they are talking about. Whether those quotes are true is a different matter.

That's part of the issue I have with Trumpo, to be honest. He spends over an hour banging on about how the press prints 'fake news' and he knows the truth because he was there. But it doesn't mean he TELLS the truth.

Taking a step back, that press conference was a bit of a waste of time for the press (in terms of getting actual stories) and, ultimately, for him. He claims to have inherited 'a mess'. Well shouldn't he be spending his time sorting that mess out, rather than telling everyone about it (and seemingly spending endless hours watching rolling news channels.

He's certainly 'different', I'll give him that...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The BBC attempts to achieve impartiality, but never achieves it. This is because it has to operate within an extant hegemony which has a particular interpretation (liberal and western would be the best description of this). The difficulty of achieving such impartiality has been heightened over recent decades with the emergence of alternative global/regional news media (e.g. Al-Jazeera), and the Internet and other social media. Much of the latter is a cesspit which is a key reason why we have our current political situation, although Wikipedia does a much better job than most key players.
My favourite source of news remains C4 News.

The BBC guy is the press conference yesterday was trying to get the point across that he was to ask an impartial question but Trump had already displayed his disgust for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I question things to the point of irritation. I have a habit of doing that in NSC.

'Fake news' is something I've been rallying against for years. Although it isn't so much the news itself as people's willingness to share it as fact.

I get very irritated when people who read Facebook share unsubstantiated posts, especially ones that claim Facebook will give money if you share a picture of a poor unfortunate person. (I actually think creating such posts should be a criminal offence).

Also there are recent ones with pictures of folks (mainly youngsters) with rotten debilitating conditions saying it's their birthday and nobody likes them. I don't believe they are true either and blasted a friend for sharing one the other day.

Hoax Slayer and Snopes warn against such posts. It's called LIke Farming. The originators get thousands of likes, then change the picture to something they are advertising or endorsing, which then appears to have thousands of likes.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The Argus knows how to play dirty tricks on us.

Heard from an insider that Dale Stephens still has another 3 years on his contract.

As soon as we boycott the Argus, the sooner we become enlightened to the real world.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I thought Facebook was supposed to be doing something about fake news, yet I repeatedly get the following items displayed down the right-hand side (ie. not shared by friends). It's click-bait of the worst sort (not that I've clicked them). Trying to report it is very difficult.
Fake3.JPG
Fake2.JPG
Fake1.JPG
(NB. I don't mean the bit about Lord Voldemort)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I look on the BBC much as I regard Marks and Spencers for clothes. It will be my first port of call, I'll get most of my core stuff from there but it's important to look at other retailers too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here