Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Face masks must be worn at all times?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Er, what?

Well, self cert but the point still stands. Wearing a mask outdoors is more for the TV cameras than stopping the spread of covid. The removal of masks in schools is a bigger step towards normality than the pubs opening IMHO. There is a debate to had about the merits of continuity of wearing on public transport but outdoors? Not for me Clive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They're Northerners. That's why the Indian variant spread so fast in't North.:)

Nor were the Chelsea fans at the FA Cup.. they are southerners. No wonder the Indian variant is spreading in the south.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For pities sake people, what is the bloody issue with wearing masks. We did it here for something like 5 months, everywhere when outside the house, even in the car if there was a passenger. Thanks to our state premiers this country, for all practical matters, has ZERO community transmission of Covid, and yet when we went into serious lockdown in Victoria including (curfew in greater Melbourne), Victoria was getting the same daily infections as the UK. It is airborne, wearing a mask does not protect you as your eyes are not covered but it protects those around you, and therefore you are protected by by everyone else's mask. So even if you don't give a shit about yourself, you cannot know if you dont have it (many people are asymptomatic and testing does not catch people on the cusp of being infectious) have a thought for those who you may infect. So wear a bloody mask and FFS cover your nose.

In this case,I didn't take it as people complaining about having to wear a mask, more that there has been mixed messaging from the club about the requirement to wear one when in your seat watching the game, and this has created confusion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm by no means anti vax or a covid denier but this wearing masks outdoors does seem overkill to me. There have been numerous studies which have said the risk of covid transmission is extremely low outdoors, the repeated wearing of one in your pocket is probably less hygienic anyway and everyone that turns up has had a negative test.

Its fair enough on the concourse but it seems utterly pointless in a socially distanced outdoor setting.

I absolutely agree - the science is clear.

But to get back to seeing some live football and to take an important step towards full stadiums of mask-less fans, then I'm able to put up with it tonight.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

But to get me back to the football, to take a first step towards full stadiums of mask-less fans, then I'm able to put up with it tonight.

So to sum up....masks not required in the open air outside the stadium...required to get into the stadium .... but can be removed when eating or drinking ( obviously) ..and must be worn when sitting in the open air in the stadium?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I was asking for a friend...
Fortunately I have photo ID, just seems a bit discriminatory, not everyone has photo ID, or for that matter can afford photo ID..
Oh well.

That's the way the cookie has crumbled.

Anyone who can't afford a photo ID is unlikely to have paid for a ticket for the match anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So to sum up....masks not required in the open air outside the stadium...required to get into the stadium .... but can be removed when eating or drinking ( obviously) ..and must be worn when sitting in the open air in the stadium?

Pretty much, yes.

However, for the game or two we could go to earlier this year, the request was to wear them "on the stadium approach" (or similar words).

Most people (although not everyone) when approaching from The Bridge/Falmer Station direction were putting them on just as the pathway opens up to the stadium itself where there was also a bank of hand sanitising stations. I can't recall it being enforced. Certainly by the time you reach the queue to get into the stadium - and based on last time unless you get there very early or very late there will be a queue - you probably should be wearing one.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Next year when hopefully international travel returns there must be a massive opportunity for Half & Half face masks.

I'm sure the scallywags who sell outside Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates are getting geared up as we speak.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Pretty much, yes.

However, for the game or two we could go to earlier this year, the request was to wear them "on the stadium approach" (or similar words).

Most people (although not everyone) when approaching from The Bridge/Falmer Station direction were putting them on just as the pathway opens up to the stadium itself where there was also a bank of hand sanitising stations. I can't recall it being enforced. Certainly by the time you reach the queue to get into the stadium - and based on last time unless you get there very early or very late there will be a queue - you probably should be wearing one.

Fair enough.

Do they check your temperature before entrance?

It will be interesting using the park and ride and how they manage the queue. If it looks like it is going to be heavily used, could be a mass exodus 10 minutes before the end to get away and join a long queue ...socially distanced of course. Be also interesting how many will be allowed on busses.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough.

Do they check your temperature before entrance?

It will be interesting using the park and ride and how they manage the queue. If it looks like it is going to be heavily used, could be a mass exodus 10 minutes before the end to get away and join a long queue ...socially distanced of course. Be also interesting how many will be allowed on busses.

Temperature checks: the club have stated that random checks will be performed.

Park and Ride: it has sold out already, so I guess that it already will be "heavily used". (Also: probably best to not turn up there if you haven't booked)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Temperature checks: the club have stated that random checks will be performed.

Park and Ride: it has sold out already, so I guess that it already will be "heavily used". (Also: probably best to not turn up there if you haven't booked)

I already booked early so that is ok...

Of course if the experience is crap and we are getting stuffed at half time, then that could be it for me anyway.

It is funny how not going to football can become as much a habit as going.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

But to get back to seeing some live football and to take an important step towards full stadiums of mask-less fans, then I'm able to put up with it tonight.

This.

Saved me typing it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It makes me chuckle when I read that, and having to bring photo ID. We have facial recognition cameras which are redundant or is everyone going to have to remove their mask as we go in?

Are these the cameras you are referring to (from the 'briefing' email) or are there facial recognition cameras also?

'Temperature checks: You may not notice but thermal image cameras will check your temperature on arrival; again this is Premier League policy. If your temperature is above 37.8 degrees, you will not be permitted to enter the stadium.'

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH face masks could become something worn voluntarily in the gents latrines...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm not sure why it feels like you're trying to argue with me, when all I'm doing is repeating what the club have said cross numerous channels over the last week or so.

Whilst it's unfortunate you seem to have missed all of those, the good news is you are now aware and will, I'm sure, be prepared.

Didn't mean to sound like I'm arguing at all, guess it's just text not having a tone of voice. I've just tried to point out a lot of people won't have seen or be aware of it and not made any comment on the decision itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here