Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fabric to close due to drug issues

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This is heartbreaking news. Spent many many amazing nights in there in my younger days hearing unbelievably good music. As has been said this is all about real estate. The poster who said he saw people shagging in he corner is a flat out liar, fabric security is pretty good and that would never happen. In regard to drugs it was better and managing it than most clubs but that's a society issue!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This is heartbreaking news. Spent many many amazing nights in there in my younger days hearing unbelievably good music. As has been said this is all about real estate. The poster who said he saw people shagging in he corner is a flat out liar, fabric security is pretty good and that would never happen. In regard to drugs it was better and managing it than most clubs but that's a society issue!

Never went, after my time.

I felt the same way when Sterns closed - Now those were the days.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I have been a few times in the early 2000's and never really had a great time - I always found the music not really to my taste (great sound system - and one room had speakers in the floor which was quite cool) great club you can really get lost in the place :) stumbling around is fun off your t*ts! I thought that the place came with a lot of attitude and not the friendlies crowds in London > I always had a much better time around the corner @ Turnmills (or Gurnmills as I know it) which sadly was sold years ago now, but for me that was the cream of clubbing and had some amazing nights in there raving until the sun came up, such a good vibe in there :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=36292

Almost heartbreaking to read that. Imagine all that work, almost lifelong business being shutdown and turned off within weeks. Mental. We know the Met are a disgrace, but they should take a long look at themselves here.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Was a great club. Funnily enough a close friend who introduced me to Fabric several years ago works for Islington Council. No surprise regarding the outcome. Fond memories of the place off my nut:mad:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
DMT will win out and if we refuse to allow its suppression then we won't need clubs anymore. Just comfortable spaces like lounges with record players. Happiness ,without risk ,is here as long as the bitch rule makers don't put you off. Find it - explore it.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I loved fabric.

An Arab guy died of a coke overdose in the Dorchester - but they won't be shutting that down. Hypocrisy

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=36292

Almost heartbreaking to read that. Imagine all that work, almost lifelong business being shutdown and turned off within weeks. Mental. We know the Met are a disgrace, but they should take a long look at themselves here.

"I should like to point out that since 2012 we have had arrested in the region of 80 drug dealers identified at the front door; there has been only one prosecution. So perhaps if the police want to start levelling criticism of how these so-called safe havens exist they should start by looking at themselves and the CPS, because these individuals come back the following week laughing at us. "

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
My favourite tweet....

'I had some drugs I was going to take on Sat at Fabric, but now it is closed so I will throw them down the toilet and never take drugs again'

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never heard of it but if closing it means that all young people everywhere will stop taking drugs then more power to their elbow.
Except it won't stop them, not a single one.
Nor will it stop drug dealers or drug deaths.
It's about time we, as a society, had a frank and open-minded discussion about drugs policies and how we deal with users/addicts/dealers etc.
The "war on drugs" has been going, what, 50 years ? and yet there's more drugs, easier availability and more "victims". Current policy simply isn't working on any level.

Indeed. What's that well known definition of stupidity ? Something along the lines of doing the same thing over and over again and hoping fro a different result eventually. Prohibition never works yet those in power are so blinkered they wish to continue down the same path time, after time, after time, after time. Idiots.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't remember much of my night in fabric.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I stayed up late watching the tweets from mixmag and fell asleep with a little hope, woke up today and that hope was gone. What is also gone forever is one of the last big drum and bass clubs - we are also losing the Coronet towards the end of the year. Its saying a lot that DnB is having to go back to MOS and mainly as most of the other super clubs are gone. MOS will be next on the list, as far as I can remember the council were trying to close it so it could be turned in to flats.

The people making these decisions really dont have a clue, one idea for Fabric last night was to not allow certain types of music and only allow lower BPM styles - I really dont get that any Dubstep night I have EVER been to is worse than a DnB night for messiness.

I feel for the families that lost loved ones but I had the same discussion the day after it happened with a friend as above - where is the education on drugs if you are going to use them, generally they can be safe and fun, but it is a government issue when kids are taking 4 pills as they didnt think they worked - what happened to a half and waiting an hour or so then deciding it didnt work.

This really is just a case of wanting to shut places down and moving in the millionares to souless flats.

Feck the met, feck the council and feck Khan for letting this happen under his watch whilst saying he wouldn't

Cannot wait for warehouse parties and a return to the 80s - the police really do not know what they have done here.

The blood will be on their hands when people start to die in unlicensed venues with a lack of security or first aid like you get in a place like Fabric

RIP Fabric - will always have a place in my heart and mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here