Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Revamp - Right or Wrong?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If UEFA brought back the Cup-Winners' Cup, we wouldn't have this f***ing argument about a fifth place in Europe.

For f*** sake, what was wrong with...

1 European Cup space for the national champions
1 Cup-Winners' Cup space for the national cup winners
4 UEFA Cup spaces decided in a manner by the specific country's FA, though generally accepted as the four highest placed teams in the national league that didn't fall into the previous two categories

I mean... what?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isnt the point....guaranteed a champs league spot rather than just the europa league

Actually, it is the point. If you read my original post it was in response to someone else who said the winners should be guaranteed a place in Europe. Well, when I last checked the Europa Cup is a European competition.

As for the Champions League, it is , as U understand it, the FA who formally invite teams to compete, not the Premier League.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
If UEFA brought back the Cup-Winners' Cup, we wouldn't have this f***ing argument about a fifth place in Europe.

4 UEFA Cup spaces decided in a manner by the specific country's FA, though generally accepted as the four highest placed teams in the national league that didn't fall into the previous two categories

I mean... what?

Ah the simple old days before greed took over!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I mean... what?

Well it would lead to a break away European Super League which was probably why the Champions league was started to submit to the wishes of the big clubs at the expense of everyone else.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
*Seeding teams from the third round in a bid to ensure the top teams do not draw each other in the early stages.

Horrific idea its what they do in Spain and Italy and their cup competitions are not exactly great. So what if Liverpool get Man Utd in the 3rd round it gives someone else a chance to get further.

*Scrapping replays.

Agree with that.

*Playing all FA Cup ties in midweek.

No no no - attendances would go down.

*Handing the winners a Champions League berth if UEFA grant English clubs a fifth place in Europe’s top club competition.

Agree with that, although all for giving one of the current spaces to the cup winners.

As for moving the kick off time of the final who ever came up with that idea should be frogmarched away from what ever position of power they currently have and told never to darken the doors of football ever again. Disgraceful idea

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Scrapping replays is getting mixed responses.

Personally I never wanted to get rid of scrapping 2nd replays replacing this with penalties. I find it horrifying that we are possibly scrapping replays altogether.

Where is the incentive for playing the original game at all. Why not toss a coin from the comfort of the dressing room to see who goes through?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Police asked the FA to stop multiple replays as it was all to do with organising overtime etc etc.

So that wasnt the FAs fault.

Scrapping replays is getting mixed responses.

Personally I never wanted to get rid of scrapping 2nd replays replacing this with penalties. I find it horrifying that we are possibly scrapping replays altogether.

Where is the incentive for playing the original game at all. Why not toss a coin from the comfort of the dressing room to see who goes through?

Eh? Sorry you've lost me there. If you are looking at getting more people to attend games, guaranteeing a result may get more people through the gate - surely that's the idea? I can see that multiple replays until one team emerges victorious is perhaps the 'purest' way to get a result, but I think the realities of the amount of football that we play in this country mean that this isn't feasible.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Police asked the FA to stop multiple replays as it was all to do with organising overtime etc etc.

So that wasnt the FAs fault.

As I understood it, the police changed the dates of the replays to a week after the original game, not to do with cancelling the multiple replay but to stop a barage of replies, it is only an understanding.

The police cannot be blamed for the rest of the FA's fiasco's!

No deffintely should scrap the League Cup.

It's a bastard idea of a competition throught up by the Football League (ie club chairmen) in the the sixties to give a new revenue gathering opportunity. If it went tomorrow mo one would shed a tear.

Scrap semi finals at Wembley (except the FA need them to be there for years and years to come to pay off the Wembley construction debt)

Re instate endless replays ( they don't happen very often ). Play replays a maximum of five working days after the originalk tie. Its not beyond clubs to get this organised

Let teams pick the teams they want rather than insisting on their strongest sides. If man Utd feel they can beat Stoke by putting out a bunch of reserves, that's their risk.

Scrap seeding of clubs and the switching of ties.

Scrap penalty shoot outs

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well for what its worth:

Scrap replays (sorry) after all lets take Crawley, they get a good day out at Utd and whilst Im sure they think it would be nice get a draw and bring Utd back to their place, they had their day in the sun and a nice pay packet. If it was a home tie for Crawley you could argue that they deserve a trip to OT by getting a draw BUT:

Seedings well ok. Generally the Semi finals (sometimes QTR like the champs league) are made up of the usual suspects plus/minus one or two that have got thru by causing an "upset".

Tied into seedings, if Crawley get to the third round again the chances of say drawing Utd at OT have increased considerably...so it could be only a few years before that did happen.

Lets face it wouldnt Torquay in the last round loved to have drawn a bigger club instead of getting paired with Crawley.

Its still the luck of the draw, but realistically it will always be the bigger clubs getting thru to the later rounds. GENERALLY.

Also re "weakened" teams, it should absolutely be up to the manager which team he wants to play but with no replays would he actually take that chance now?

A Champs League spot whilst nice wont be advocated by the Prem (and why should it when theoretically you only have to win 6 games) but the scrapping of the league cup should be considered.

As for all this draws at certain times and stuff well thats all just flim flam and packaging. I dont care when the draw is made or who makes it etc etc. Doesnt affect the product on the pitch in any shape or form.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
One of the reasons less people are going to see FA Cup ties is that football is pricing itself out of the market. Many people have already paid for a season ticket or very high one off ticket prices - then ass in extra matches for the FA Cup and guess what they are going to drop ?

The FA should stipulate an adult ticket to an FA Cup game should cost no more than say £15 and a childs no more than a fiver.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Bin the JPT and make the League Cup Football League only.

Would make the League Cup more interesting IMO, and lower the number of fixtures slightly for Premiership teams whilst making the FA Cup more significant for them. Would also give the upper level clubs in the FL more genuine silverwear opportunities, and the JPT really is a hollow achievement for most clubs.

Probably massively flawed but not as much as the proposed FA Cup changes in my view, which has longstanding tradition and shouldn't be tampered with.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Scrapping replays - Not too bothered (we could have done without the replays this year), yes is is extra income for smaller clubs but only on rare occassions.
Evening Kick off - No No No
Seeding - it depends on how it is done, as long as seeded teams do not get home advantage as well. And seeding is set for all rounds i.e. a wimbledon tennis like draw. Upsets could allow some small teams to go a long way. I have a feeling that each round would be seeded.
5:15 kick - all about TV money, the FA cup must make millions in rights as it is, this just makes it difficult for fans to get home.

All FA cup games to be played at 1500 on Saturday. Next round drawn at 1800. Replays the following Wednesday week. Only the final on TV. If you want to see it, buy a ticket.
The correct time for an FA Cup draw is 12.30pm on the Monday, in the austere surroundings of FA headquarters. It could be broadcast on the radio, but never televised!

Last edited:

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
So, the club starting with the disadvantage of being drawn away would be further penalised by having the extra time and maybe the penalties also on hostile territory. Do you not understand the romance of the FA Cup, the sort that granted a replay for Exeter City after drawing at Old Trafford? And Burton Albion would probably never have made it to that theatre of their dreams had they had to endure extra time and possibly penalties after holding Manchester Utd at home.

With seedings the smaller club would be drawn at home. Th

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Instead of seeding, which plays into the hands of the big clubs, why not regionalise the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds. It would probably mean we would never play at Old Trafford or Anfield but would save clubs transport costs which could could offset lower ticket prices, especially in the first two rounds.

Scrapping replays - Not too bothered (we could have done without the replays this year),
Don't you see what has been happening? Chopping and changing FA Cup traditions led to disrespect of the competition which meant weakened teams fielded, resulting in unwanted replays at non-League grounds. Your solution? start the cycle again by chopping those replays, depriving those two clubs of (for them) massive TV revenue. How selfish can you get? The blame for those replays lies with Gus.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here