Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup matches on Christmas Day?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that I have watched BHA on Christmas Morning many years ago probably late 50s early 60s. We had a winger Mike Tiddy who wouldnt play then or on Good Friday, because he was a Methodist Lay Preacher.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I am sure that I have watched BHA on Christmas Morning many years ago probably late 50s early 60s. We had a winger Mike Tiddy who wouldnt play then or on Good Friday, because he was a Methodist Lay Preacher.

The last game on Christmas Day was in 1957 away v Swindon Town. We had played a game on the 21st as well at home to Gillingham. The return against Swindon was on Boxing Day and we played again, away to Exeter on the 28th. Eight of the team played in all 4 games. Footballers these days don't know they're born!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

i played cricket in the Noel Bennet's game on Xmas day at Preston Park in the 70's.

It was so cold you couldnt hold the bat properly

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Christmas Day footer would be brilliant.

A nice five o'clock kick off would mean you could still enjoy all the fun of present giving and Christmas Dinner. Heck, you could even fit in a trip to church if that way inclined! But you could be out down the football in your new sweater before the bickering, rowing and slammed doors (or even worse, family charades) inevitably start up, which is usually around five in my experience.

Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see that countdown but its only 2 days to the FA Cup first round probably 54 or 61 to the 3rd Round, usually the first Saturday in January, but what difference does Christmas Day make to this all, in order for it to be the subject of the thread.

I can see that countdown but its only 2 days to the FA Cup first round probably 54 or 61 to the 3rd Round, usually the first Saturday in January, but what difference does Christmas Day make to this all, in order for it to be the subject of the thread.

Are you saying that when you click on that page the counter is only showing 2 days ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The answer is also very simple NO it does not say that but the 1st round is not in 50 days but on Saturday which is 2 days away. I think that I will have to give up on this one as nothing seems to make any sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here