Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA cup 4th round, Sheffield united

BenPage

Nov 2, 2023
Can anyone tell me what the likely date of the 4th round vs sheffield will be on and ticketing sales dates by any chance? presumably if on a weekend they would give a large allocation?

cheers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nothing to add beyond train travel is an absolute flucking joke.

Age wise I'm target demo for this place, possibly even a bit on the young side (obvs my phenomenal hair helps) and I find it nearly impossible to buy tickets in advance, at a reasonable price.

I'll get quoted £200.
After about X minutes,get that down to £96.47.
Think bargain.
Only to then remember the journey will be about £50 in petrol.

A national disgrace.
Sad but true. It is a national disgrace

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Cheers. Which split ticket sites would you recommend?
I use splitmyfare.co.uk. It seems to do the job and is very transparent. It shows you exactly what it’s going to do before you buy, even trusting you don’t go away and buy the split tickets yourself and take all the savings. They take a small (and publicised) cut of the savings.

There are a couple of things to watch out for. Firstly you end up with a fistful of tickets that can confuse the living daylights out of you but that’s manageable with a modicum of common sense. Secondly, if one of the split legs is delayed or cancelled you can only claim back on that leg, not the whole journey.

I’ve seen claims that splitting means that if you miss an advance fare on a later leg because an earlier one is delayed, you have to buy a new ticket for a later train, but I’ve also seen that theory debunked.

The journeys are often longer (for example, they’ll sometimes take you Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street rather than Euston to Birmingham New Street), but if you’re not time-dependent that doesn’t matter (and for rail-geeks the trip through the Chilterns is far more rewarding).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I use splitmyfare.co.uk. It seems to do the job and is very transparent. It shows you exactly what it’s going to do before you buy, even trusting you don’t go away and buy the split tickets yourself and take all the savings. They take a small (and publicised) cut of the savings.

There are a couple of things to watch out for. Firstly you end up with a fistful of tickets that can confuse the living daylights out of you but that’s manageable with a modicum of common sense. Secondly, if one of the split legs is delayed or cancelled you can only claim back on that leg, not the whole journey.

I’ve seen claims that splitting means that if you miss an advance fare on a later leg because an earlier one is delayed, you have to buy a new ticket for a later train, but I’ve also seen that theory debunked.

The journeys are often longer (for example, they’ll sometimes take you Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street rather than Euston to Birmingham New Street), but if you’re not time-dependent that doesn’t matter (and for rail-geeks the trip through the Chilterns is far more rewarding).

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
I also use splitmyfare. As stated you sometimes get lots of tickets but just put them in order of each journey and you'll be fine. Here are my tickets for me and my boy for Forest away recently. With a Railcard you also save a fortune and normally recoup the £30 outlay in 1 trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_071522.jpg
    IMG_20231121_071522.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 64

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nothing to add beyond train travel is an absolute flucking joke.

Age wise I'm target demo for this place, possibly even a bit on the young side (obvs my phenomenal hair helps) and I find it nearly impossible to buy tickets in advance, at a reasonable price.

I'll get quoted £200.
After about X minutes,get that down to £96.47.
Think bargain.
Only to then remember the journey will be about £50 in petrol.

A national disgrace.

In the 90's I used to travel by train to Edinburgh. In 1995, engrained in my mind, was the Super Apex return fare at £27 Edinburgh to/from London. Available 365, you just had to book a few weeks ahead. A good service, no slower than today.

In real terms that's just £53.

Something's gone horribly wrong. It's not train operator profits, they're minute compared to total rail industry cash flows.

Only one person here might know why .... @jackalbion.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In the 90's I used to travel by train to Edinburgh. In 1995, engrained in my mind, was the Super Apex return fare at £27 Edinburgh to/from London. Available 365, you just had to book a few weeks ahead. A good service, no slower than today.

Something's gone horribly wrong. It's not train operator profits, they're minute compared to total rail industry cash flows.

Train drivers on 200k and a 2/3 final salary pension init...;)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Just paid less than £60 (£111 for 2) for a return flight to Edinburgh

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

When I have looked at advance train fares, they seem as cheap now as then. I remember going to Birmingham in the late 80s for £16 on my YPR. A few years back I booked an advance for the same price.

I think with the internet it is easier to get cheaper fares too.

But generally, with routine fares, the issue has been the reducing government subsidies. You are right about train companies, the profits aren't huge. Those who want a return to the days of British Rail are forgetting that it wasn't any cheaper really and the service was poorer.

I think the railways should, in principle, be in public hands. But I never felt bad about being a shareholder in Go Ahead or indeed NEX. Electricity and water is another matter.

But, yeah, I think it's reduced government subsidies that have meant things are tougher.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I have looked at advance train fares, they seem as cheap now as then. I remember going to Birmingham in the late 80s for £16 on my YPR. A few years back I booked an advance for the same price.

I think with the internet it is easier to get cheaper fares too.

But generally, with routine fares, the issue has been the reducing government subsidies. You are right about train companies, the profits aren't huge. Those who want a return to the days of British Rail are forgetting that it wasn't any cheaper really and the service was poorer.

I think the railways should, in principle, be in public hands. But I never felt bad about being a shareholder in Go Ahead or indeed NEX. Electricity and water is another matter.

But, yeah, I think it's reduced government subsidies that have meant things are tougher.

Above all else, I want one operator. It’s ludicrous that trains from Sussex to London are run by four companies or brands. What is the actual point? It’s not created a marketplace where they strive and do beat the competition on price and service. Instead ticket buying in England and Wales can be complex, including a raft of ticket types and prices.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Above all else, I want one operator. It’s ludicrous that trains from Sussex to London are run by four companies or brands. What is the actual point? It’s not created a marketplace where they strive and do beat the competition on price and service. Instead ticket buying in England and Wales can be complex, including a raft of ticket types and prices.
Well, quite. I don't like the Sussex trains much. The back breaking seats drive me to the car. And those cavernous trains that give me anxiety attacks.

I suppose I don't think about it much as I know how to navigate the sites. But I do wonder if there should be an automatic cheaper option thingy, like they have with electricity fees now.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
From Darlington, I can catch trains operated by Northern, LNER and TransPennine.
All three are owned by DfT OLR.
Well done team. :clap2::clap2::clap2:
:facepalm:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
The sales of the cup tickets have nearly caught up with the league sales.
League 92 left, cup 135 with the whole of the 4 lower blocks open.
I must admit that i was surprised by two things, firstly that we have nearly sold out the league tickets with it being on tele and transport issues and secondly that the cup sales seemed to take a while to get going especially as i had previously stated that i thought we may sell as much as double of the cup as the league!
No wonder i am not doing well on the score predictor thread. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here