Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA cup 4th round, Sheffield united

BenPage

Nov 2, 2023
Can anyone tell me what the likely date of the 4th round vs sheffield will be on and ticketing sales dates by any chance? presumably if on a weekend they would give a large allocation?

cheers.

RenboSlice

Sep 9, 2023
While that's true, imagine they do this for the next European away. The ticket site software has been poor all season with tickets not being released from higher tier baskets and a massive and inexplicable delay to the on sale dates of the Sheffield Utd league game and Spurs game.

The irony is, if Sheffield Utd league game had gone on sale when it was supposed to we'd probably have a sell out for both games instead of people being able to pick and choose.

Personally, I work in the day time. I set aside 9 - 9.30 or 2 - 2.30 out of my diary on a day I will be eligable for a ticket I want. I don't expect to be spending half that time either in a queue or wondering if they've cocked up my points.

It's WAY more stressful than it should be, and that's before we get on to the best tickets being held back.
Yeah if it happened for a Europa away I would feel terrible for people. But for this it's just amusing

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Considering everyone who wants to go will be able to, I do kind of enjoy the headloss
You say that, but remember Tottenham in the cup a couple of years ago. Everyone has been led to believe we had 15% so held off buying until they could with lower tiered friends and we ended up with the standard 3000 for league matches rather then what should have been 9000. In this instance I can see the attraction of getting it done and dusted asap.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If you have seen some of my recent posts you will know that i have decided to do just one of the two Sheffield games and was leaning towards the cup. The reason for this was more to do with the transport issues on the sunday game being as i no longer feel up to driving all day to games much further afield than Watford Luton or Bournemouth. For me the points thing with 15/10 available is a mild irritation to be soon forgotten as i do my best to cheer the Albion on and into the next round (no excuses obviously!) i thoroughly enjoyed both the atmosphere and the victory at Stoke and meeting Pascal on the train home was an added and unexpected bonus.
So please don't be too upset about the points conversations as like a lot of things on this majestic platform the contrary voices tend to speak longer and louder than those who are more satisfied with their lot!
Personally being the sad person that i am i will be far more interested in whether we have the full allocation and whether we can sell more for this game than the other one. The other game has about a 2200 head start so come on surely we can beat that.
For sure its not that annoying and only a mild irritation, but people seem to talking about the points more than anything at the moment.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Can only assume the cheaper tickets and Saturday 3PM were reasons for it being only 10. Do we even have a larger allocation for the cup game? Hard to know when the club hold seats back initially..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For sure its not that annoying and only a mild irritation, but people seem to talking about the points more than anything at the moment.
That's because of the gamification of the European aways.

I guarantee people are looking right now at the possible clubs that we could get in March and working out flight costs, hotels and if it's likely they'll get a ticket. The club has used this to its advantage, putting 15 points on what it thinks will be the slower sellers and 10 or 5 on others, irrespective of distance. 10 for West Ham in the league and 10 for Sheffield Utd in the FA Cup makes no sense, ostensibly, but because we're playing them again a couple of weeks later when it's nearly impossible to do the game by public transport, and because West Ham was a Tuesday night at the very arse end of Christmas, you can see why.

IMO anyone who goes to any away game does it to support the team first and foremost. Some will put up with nine hours sat on a dry coach or drive there and back to get behind the team. Others have it as more of a social occasion and booze up (wonder who those can be :lolol: ) but we're still only making the trip because of the football.

The uncertainty of being able to do Europe for many fans who sit between the almost every gamers and the never go aways is real and the club have actively used it to sell domestic aways using loyalty points. You have to tip your hat to them.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I just enjoy watching the Albion and having a few decent beers…..

Let’s hope we do make a bit of noise as Sheff U remains a proper footie ground. Be a shame if half the away end is checking their accounts to see if the points have gone in yet 😂

Jimmy Grimble

I guarantee people are looking right now at the possible clubs that we could get in March and working out flight costs, hotels and if it's likely they'll get a ticket. The club has used this to its advantage, putting 15 points on what it thinks will be the slower sellers and 10 or 5 on others, irrespective of distance. 10 for West Ham in the league and 10 for Sheffield Utd in the FA Cup makes no sense, ostensibly, but because we're playing them again a couple of weeks later when it's nearly impossible to do the game by public transport, and because West Ham was a Tuesday night at the very arse end of Christmas, you can see why.

IMO anyone who goes to any away game does it to support the team first and foremost. Some will put up with nine hours sat on a dry coach or drive there and back to get behind the team. Others have it as more of a social occasion and booze up (wonder who those can be :lolol: ) but we're still only making the trip because of the football.

The uncertainty of being able to do Europe for many fans who sit between the almost every gamers and the never go aways is real and the club have actively used it to sell domestic aways using loyalty points. You have to tip your hat to them.
Great post. Like you, I’d be doing Sheff U away in the cup regardless as it’s a Saturday 3pm, the trains (currently) look sweet and I still enjoy the prospect of an FA cup run. Given it’s up north, it’s a relatively easy game to get a group together for a day on the beers.

Though I’m not certain if the club have actively used the points system to sell domestic aways or if it’s just happened accidentally. Especially now we know there’s no magic TB algorithm used for any of this.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

"gamification" well you've got me there GB, the only thing i can think of is "glamourisation".
Setting that aside and regarding the ticket sales today and as you have rightly stated previous issues i am wondering if there are indeed any in upper tiers or not. They do not appear, even greyed out, on the stadium plan for this match but if my memory serves me right i believe another stand was added later at the infamous Charlton game that was not on the site originally. So a short person like me who sometimes struggles to see and likes to sit high up now has a decision to make, do i buy now and guarantee a ticket in the middle of the lower tier or wait and hope that enough are sold for the club to open some up top. If i do not buy i may well end up in a corner or even worse if there are no upper tier suddenly finding i miss out altogether. Decisions, decisions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
"gamification" well you've got me there GB, the only thing i can think of is "glamourisation".
Setting that aside and regarding the ticket sales today and as you have rightly stated previous issues i am wondering if there are indeed any in upper tiers or not. They do not appear, even greyed out, on the stadium plan for this match but if my memory serves me right i believe another stand was added later at the infamous Charlton game that was not on the site originally. So a short person like me who sometimes struggles to see and likes to sit high up now has a decision to make, do i buy now and guarantee a ticket in the middle of the lower tier or wait and hope that enough are sold for the club to open some up top. If i do not buy i may well end up in a corner or even worse if there are no upper tier suddenly finding i miss out altogether. Decisions, decisions.
It just means the awarding of badges and / or points for achievements. Used a lot in my industry (software) where companies run online training on how to use their product. The more you train, the more badges you get until you become an 'expert'.

In context, club are using it in conjunction with another modern marketing buzzword 'FOMO' or Fear Of Missing Out. So you're always trying to get loyalty points so you can be in the queue ahead of that bloke in the row in front of you when it comes to Qarabag away.

Apologies to all for the wank-words. I'm going to stand in the corner of the 'bellcheeses at work' thread and hit myself with a wet haddock.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
It just means the awarding of badges and / or points for achievements. Used a lot in my industry (software) where companies run online training on how to use their product. The more you train, the more badges you get until you become an 'expert'.

In context, club are using it in conjunction with another modern marketing buzzword 'FOMO' or Fear Of Missing Out. So you're always trying to get loyalty points so you can be in the queue ahead of that bloke in the row in front of you when it comes to Qarabag away.

Apologies to all for the wank-words. I'm going to stand in the corner of the 'bellcheeses at work' thread and hit myself with a wet haddock.
Thanks GB everyday is a school day! I might have to buy a new dictionary as it appears that, like me, my collins 1994 is seriously out of date. :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Train is £160 return for 1 adult and 1 child.
That's steep isn't it.
Where are you going from and via? Have you split tickets?

If you get a Thameslink Only return to Bedford and then a return from Bedford to Sheffield there's a direct service every hour from Bedford and it should be much cheaper than that. You will have to get a replacement bus from Luton to Bedford on leg one.

It's a bit steeper via Donny and some of the Advance Singles may have sold out, but I got two adults on a Two Together Railcard that way for a total of £122 a few days back. Split tickets Brighton / St Pancras, London / Doncaster, Doncaster / Sheffield.

Jimmy Grimble

That's steep isn't it.
Might be worth buying a family and friends railcard.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If you get a Thameslink Only return to Bedford and then a return from Bedford to Sheffield there's a direct service every hour from Bedford and it should be much cheaper than that. You will have to get a replacement bus from Luton to Bedford on leg one.

It's a bit steeper via Donny and some of the Advance Singles may have sold out, but I got two adults on a Two Together Railcard that way for a total of £122 a few days back. Split tickets Brighton / St Pancras, London / Doncaster, Doncaster / Sheffield.
Believe there is bus replacement Luton To Bedford on the day, but not sure what additional time this adds

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
That's steep isn't it.

This is what we've done, think it worked out at £25 each return with a Family & Friends Railcard.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Believe there is bus replacement Luton To Bedford on the day, but not sure what additional time this adds
There is. It's about a 45 min journey by road according to National Rail Enqs.

Once at Bedford, though, you're at the starting stop and train is direct.

So long as you're prepared to leave early you'll be in Sheffield with plenty enough time and on the way back you'll again pick up the Thameslink at its inception, although the first bus to Luton might be 'cosy'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I only have 232 points

what are the chances of getting a ticket for this, on sale this afternoon?

tenner for a game is a good value

el punal

Please tell me - if you are an enthusiast of ‘gamification’ do you then get called a gammon, or is there another wank-word description? Asking for a friend. :drink: :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here