Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2024

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Right, we have one of the "TBC" team names now confirmed. As I'd expected, the Sauber name will return to the grid for '24 and '25. The full team name is a bit of a mouthful, though, and I'm not sure they've thought it through as it's wide open for jokes if they get anything wrong: "Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber"
Anyway, here's an article that explains it all:

But honestly ... "Kick Sauber" :ROFLMAO:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Right, we have one of the "TBC" team names now confirmed. As I'd expected, the Sauber name will return to the grid for '24 and '25. The full team name is a bit of a mouthful, though, and I'm not sure they've thought it through as it's wide open for jokes if they get anything wrong: "Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber"
Anyway, here's an article that explains it all:

But honestly ... "Kick Sauber" :ROFLMAO:
Jesus!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That sounds like an output from a “Generate a random F1 team name” algorithm

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I've managed to mostly avoid social media / forums and Formula 1 over the festive period, but I'm back at work today and that means I'll be back to updating this thread whenever I need a mental break (ie procrastination wins over productivity :ROFLMAO: ).

So for starters, I've added what I think is a bit of an improvement to the OP for the thread - a more visual calendar for what's happening during the pre-season. I'll update as each team announces their launch dates. So far, we have the now properly rebranded "Stake F1 Team" (nee Alfa Romeo / Sauber) launching on February 5th; they'll alternatively be known as the "Kick F1 Team" at races where gambling adverts are problematic. The team will be known as Stake / Kick for 2024 and '25, before becoming Audi from 2026 onwards. Speaking of Audi, their board at the end of last year re-confirmed their commitment to buying a majority stake (no pun intended) in the team via installments, as well as producing their own power unit for the new rules.

Williams will also launch their new car on February 5th. Ferrari follows on February 13th (how superstitious are Ferrari fans?).

We then have the Bahrain pre-season test days Feb 21 through 23, then the first race weekend of 2024 follows rapidly after that: February 29th through March 2nd. Yep, that looked odd to me for a while as well - race day will be on the Saturday, something I hadn't picked up until I put it in the calendar below. Same applies for the following weekend for the Jeddah round - it will run Thurs-Fri-Sat. Race weekends return to the traditional Fri-Sat-Sun format from round 3 in Australia.

Pre-season Calendar

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
January 29

-
January 30

-
January 31

-
February 1

-
February 2

-
February 3

-
February 4

-
February 5

Stake F1 Team Car Launch
Williams Car Launch
February 6

-
February 7

-
February 8

-
February 9

-
February 10

-
February 11

-
February 12

-
February 13

Ferrari Car Launch
February 14

-
February 15

-
February 16

-
February 17

-
February 18

-
February 19

-
February 20

-
February 21

Bahrain Test Day 1
February 22

Bahrain Test Day 2
February 23

Bahrain Test Day 3
February 24

-
February 25

-
February 26

-
February 27

-
February 28

-
February 29

Bahrain Practice Day
March 1

Bahrain Qualifying Day
March 2

Bahrain Race Day
March 3

-

Also thought I'd re-post to this thread (it went into the 2023 thread courtesy of @kojak ) the sad news that Gil de Ferran, former double CART Indycar champion, Indy 500 winner, and occasional McLaren F1 advisor has passed away aged 56:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I can't say I'm excited about 2024....Karen Horner and Red Bull, along with the childish Verstappen being glorified once again is really the end of F1 for me....Yes their car is fast, yes they won last year, but Horner is a downright entitled bully (having seen his histrionics in person at Goodwood) and I'm continually gobsmacked the world looks the other way at Verstappens behaviour on track just because "its in the name of winning"....that combined with boring engines, and the FIA's inconsistent approach to rules has really tarnished it all for me...I'll probably watch the odd one if its on, but it has none of the excitment it used to have....its nearly like driving round in circles like Indicar now!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've just read MOtorsport, for the forst time in a few years, they've done well to make the forthcoming season sound interesting, at least within each team. The AM-Stroll team and management will probably be most interesting development wise.

Otherwise it's most likely to be another tedious sound free procession . . .so will watch Spa, Interlagos, maybe sillystone.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
After the huge influx of fans during 2021, a third year of total dominance by Red Bull would be bad for F1 as a sport IMHO. Even when we’ve seen other periods of dominance (Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton) other teams have challenged and won races. Another excitement-free procession damages the brand, sport when one team dominates is dull.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
After the huge influx of fans during 2021, a third year of total dominance by Red Bull would be bad for F1 as a sport IMHO. Even when we’ve seen other periods of dominance (Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton) other teams have challenged and won races. Another excitement-free procession damages the brand, sport when one team dominates is dull.
I live in hope that both McLaren and Mercedes will not make the same mistakes for a third season in a row and be able to offer more of a challenge from the first race. Ferrari ... not sure on them. Apparently they're completely changing the car - it could either be a Red Bull challenger or a stinker. Or more of the same.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let the procession commence

• Sad
Reactions: A1X

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In honour of today's snow, and given there's not much going on in F1 currently, here's a F3 (I think) car being driven around the Nordschleife with the track surface well covered in snow:

Using extreme-weather tyres.
Easy peasy ...

I did my skidpan training on the runway at Rednal Aerodrome after 2 inches of snow had settled. Most fun 2 hours of my post-50 life. Highly educational too.

Seriously, controlling a car on snow at anything over 30 MPH is tricky and only fun if there are no other idiots around you getting in the way.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Using extreme-weather tyres.
Easy peasy ...

I did my skidpan training on the runway at Rednal Aerodrome after 2 inches of snow had settled. Most fun 2 hours of my post-50 life. Highly educational too.

Seriously, controlling a car on snow at anything over 30 MPH is tricky and only fun if there are no other idiots around you getting in the way.

Was fun watching it power drifting to turn some of the corners. Masses of opposite lock on, power on. Also squirming it's way along some of those straights. Had to watch it in bits last night, but looked like there may have been a couple of moments that may have left skid marks somewhere other than the track as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Guenther Steiner has left Haas

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Guenther Steiner has left Haas

Simone Resta also gone (possibly back to Ferrari?). Looking like it's more a case of Steiner being sacked from Haas, talk is of a fundamental disagreement between Steiner and Gene Haas about the direction the team should take.

Ayao Komatsu promoted from Director of Engineering to take over as Team Principle.

Not sure how to read this. Gene Haas is well known for not wanting to invest any more cash than he absolutely has to into the team. But I believe it was Steiner who was responsible for the decision to essentially sacrifice 2020 (then 2021 as well after covid hit) in order to put maximum resource into the new rules (that were planned for 2021, then deferred to 2022). I do wonder if they may have been looking at trying that again (sacrifice 2025, to try to maximise 2026), but one of them looks back on how not-well it went for them and refused.

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Looking like it's more a case of Steiner being sacked from Haas.
From the BBC Sports website:

"Technically, Steiner, who built up the team using an innovative business model, was not fired. His contract had expired and Haas chose not to extend it, BBC Sport has learned."

Can't see Netflix being too happy with this. Drive to Survive was excellent with Gunter in it.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Last year was the only one that was completely Red Bull dominant and even then Perez struggled a lot, it was Max being so good and consistent that made it so easy for them.

Throughout the rest of the pack there were a lot of great battles throughout the season including Aston Martin starting very well and dropping midway through whilst McLaren made massive strides.

There have been far less interesting seasons, and last year was one where you just have to appreciate how good Verstappen was (as much as some people may not like it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here