Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2023

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How does Max finish nearly 30 seconds ahead of his teammate in supposedly the same car?
A combination of the car being tailored to Max, which doesn't best suit Perez, and the fact he's mentally broken.

after a scooter rally, camping and far too many refreshments It was the perfect opportunity for a power nap.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
It's horrifically dull.

George Russell had a point about saying if it wasn't for red bull it would be entertaining.

2017(?)-2021 were golden years in hindsight, two or sometimes three teams in with a chance of winning races, or at least two drivers. We've maybe been spoiled. But this is rubbish and it's made my decision whether to go to a race or not next season very easy. Someone else can spend £500-900 on a grandstand seat, then try and find flights and accommodation 😂

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Wish you could put a poll up in here mid-thread.

Weekend at F1 vs a week all inclusive in the Carribbean. Because I reckon both work out very similar cost wise 😂

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It's horrifically dull.

George Russell had a point about saying if it wasn't for red bull it would be entertaining.

2017(?)-2021 were golden years in hindsight, two or sometimes three teams in with a chance of winning races, or at least two drivers. We've maybe been spoiled. But this is rubbish and it's made my decision whether to go to a race or not next season very easy. Someone else can spend £500-900 on a grandstand seat, then try and find flights and accommodation 😂
2017-2021 was also f***ing dull but the team you preferred were winning so you could ignore it.

The last two seasons have actually been pretty damn entertaining, just ignore Red Bull and the races are very good.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
2017-2021 was also f***ing dull but the team you preferred were winning so you could ignore it.

The last two seasons have actually been pretty damn entertaining, just ignore Red Bull and the races are very good.
2021 dull? That was an incredible season.

2019 and 20 were pretty dull from a season long competition level - it was clear Hamilton was going to be champion but at least the individual races had some interest. Six of the 21 races in 2019 and four of the 17 races were won by someone other than Mercedes.

2017 and 18 Ferrari had the better car at the start of the season so they were quite entertaining for half the year or so.

This season is the dullest I can remember, even worse than the Schumacher years. This red bull in combination with Verstappen is so far ahead of everyone else it's killed any interest in the seaon. Yes there's some good squabbling for the minor places but you've got to be a pretty hardcore fan to enjoy who finishes 8th. It's a bit like watching pre-season friendlies, it can pass the time but there's something missing as there's no edge to it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If you're watching only to see who wins, then yes it's dull and a disappointing season.

But winning isn't everything.

I watch a race with 20 drivers participating and there's been some cracking racing for the minor points, and the race for 2nd/3rd/etc WCC places has ebbed and flowed a lot. Plenty going on behind Max to keep me entertained, made all the easier by the TV director choosing not to follow Max too much (possibly helped by C4 highlights cropping any excessive Max focus That does happen).

Even Spa, the racing behind the Red Bulls was cracking good. Some awesome overtakes, Norris going backwards then climbing back up, Albon and Tsunoda climbing up then going backwards etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you're watching only to see who wins, then yes it's dull and a disappointing season.

But winning isn't everything.

I watch a race with 20 drivers participating and there's been some cracking racing for the minor points, and the race for 2nd/3rd/etc WCC places has ebbed and flowed a lot. Plenty going on behind Max to keep me entertained, made all the easier by the TV director choosing not to follow Max too much (possibly helped by C4 highlights cropping any excessive Max focus That does happen).

Even Spa, the racing behind the Red Bulls was cracking good. Some awesome overtakes, Norris going backwards then climbing back up, Albon and Tsunoda climbing up then going backwards etc.
And fair to say that Lewis is getting under George’s skin too! :smile:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire

I don't prefer Mercedes. I'm actually a Williams fan so it's been a while since I was happy at my team winning!!!!!

17-21 you at least had Ferrari and sometimes Red Bull who could pop up and win races. So although the title might have been a foregone conclusion, the individual races were actually interesting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exciting race today!

Please do not finish it under a safety car

Edit - just f***ing get on with it, rain has stopped why the delay?

Standing start please not behind the Safety Car. Christ, F1 has been so bloody diluted by Health and Safety.

FFS - rolling start on a drying track, with two laps behind the safety car, suck the joy out of the sport why don’t you? :rolleyes:

You’re a racer @zefarelly what think you?

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Has Horner given a weaselly excuse for why they let Max undercut Checo yet?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Has Horner given a weaselly excuse for why they let Max undercut Checo yet?

I enjoy sticking the boot into Horner as much as anyone but in this instance I think they probably got it right. Max was about 3 and 4 seconds a lap quicker - a lifetime over such a short lap - and he would have blasted past him anyway. At least this way, it kept Checo's ego intact.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Ocon the only one on wets got stuffed when he should have shot up the table due to pitting. Another pour decision by the gods.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So a Ferrari win today?
Sainz fought hard and made a race of it for most of the first stint, but ultimately the Ferrari just doesn't preserve its tyres as well as the Red Bull does. Max (and Perez) just needed to bide his time and the inevitable happened.

Hamilton got quite a soft penalty for his squeeze on Piastri, I thought. Actually a bit of a habit of his doing that, not the first time he's been guilty of it and I expect won't be the last as he clearly doesn't learn. For whatever reason, he seems to have this blind spot where he assumes once he's got up the inside of someone they apparently don't exist anymore and he just drifts towards the outside and squeezes them. Was very lucky he didn't end up nose-first in the barrier.

So Verstappen's got his record. Time for that RB car to develop a reliability problem or two and let someone else win a race or two...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Had to dig this thread up ... absolutely no discussion of the last two races, despite Singapore being a rather good race weekend (no RBR cars in Q3, or on the podium!). Followed by a Japan race that saw Verstappen back to being untouchable (but with a little interest behind him as variations in tyre strategies played out).

Anyway, resurrecting this thread with non-2023 news: Andretti has been approved by the FIA as an 11th entry to Formula 1. That entry is now being forwarded to FOM for commercial negotiations to take place. News is breaking at the moment, so the only sources are brief Twitter posts / threads:

However: my understanding of everything I've read before now is that Andretti now has everything he needs to race in Formula 1. FOM can't prevent them turning up with cars and actually racing. What they *can* do is refuse to sign a contract with Andretti that would allow Andretti a share in the prize money etc. They'd be setting themselves up for a run-in with the EU if they do, however, especially if Andretti can make a plausible claim that the refusal is based in a desire to scupper their entry. EU has already shown historic interest in Formula 1 and how it is run / managed, and can be expected to step in should Andretti's entry be blocked now they have FIA approval.

Edit: There's now a more full article, which includes this direct quote from the FIA (bold emphasis mine):

“The FIA is obliged to approve applications that comply with the Expressions of Interests application requirements and we have adhered to that procedure in deciding that Andretti Formula Racing LLC’s application would proceed to the next stage of the application process. In taking that decision, the FIA is acting in accordance with EU directives on motor sport participation and development."

You don't need to be Sherlock to conclude this is a direct reminder to FOM and the existing 10 teams that them rejecting Andretti would be asking for trouble.

Last edited:

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got 6 dead rubbers effectively to watch over the next couple of months - this weekend could be especially drab, track should suit the RB and overtaking was quite tricky last time F1 visited Qatar.

The teams must wish they could just stop the season now, crown Red Bull and Max champs and get the development time back ahead of next year rather than traipse around the world.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What on earth was George Russell doing there?? Taking Lewis out. Incredible, he should know he's the junior partner, lost a lot of respect for him in the last few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here