Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And if you remove Ferrari's poor reliability and strategy stuff-ups, Leclerc would still be right in the fight with Verstappen. Still behind thanks to his own mistakes in a couple of races, but at least close enough to make a fight of it. You could even argue that the mistake at France may not have happened if Ferrari hadn't put Leclerc in a "must win everything" position through their errors earlier in the season.

In other news, a lot of speculation re: 2023 seats:

* Rumours that Alpine are talking to Gasly, and that Red Bull have confirmed they will not block a move if Gasly wants to go.
* Mick Schumacher will not be renewing his Ferrari Junior contract, and is a free agent from 2023. That possibly explains why Haas are now known to be in conversation with Giovinazzi. There's a bit of debate over whether or not Ferrari have any say in that second Haas seat.
* No word yet on who Ricciardo might be talking with.
* It appears now certain that Williams will not renew Latifi for next season.
* It also appears increasingly likely that Alfa Romeo will retain Zhou, despite expectations at the start of the year his seat would be for 1 year only before Pourchaire was brought in. A less than convincing second F2 season for Pourchaire coupled with Zhou's impressive form appears to have seen Pourchaire fall out of favour.
* Turns out the early rumours that the CRB had found in favour of McLaren's contract with Piastri were too early. CRB met on Monday to discuss the competing McLaren and Alpine contracts. No leaks as yet on what the result of that meeting might be.
* If Gasly goes to Alpine, Mick Schumacher might get his seat. Or it might be Colton Herta from Indycar.

And re: new teams / brands entering F1 in coming years:

* Audi expected to buy a controlling stake in Sauber, which would see Alfa Romeo become Audi from 2026.
* Porsche's deal with Red Bull appears to have stalled. Porsche want a controlling 50% stake in the Red Bull Technologies side of things, Red Bull aren't willing to give them that. As a result, we might actually see Honda slide back in at RBR.
* F1 appears to have no interest in an 11th team unless it's a manufacturer team, which leaves Andretti stuck out in the cold.

So we have the following for 2023 (Bold confirmed, Underline Incumbent expected to be renewed, italic rumoured or expected new driver):

Ferrari
Leclerc and Sainz

Red Bull
Verstappen and Perez

Mercedes
Hamilton and Russell

Alpine
Ocon and [Gasly / Ricciardo / Piastri / Doohan] (in order of likelihood. Piastri only if CRB rules in their favour, Doohan only if Gasly / Ricciardo turn them down)

McLaren
Norris and Piastri (if CRB rules in favour of Alpine, it might be Palou from Indycar instead)

Aston Martin
Alonso and Stroll (we all know it'll be Stroll ... but from memory he's not actually confirmed yet, so not in Bold)

Alfa Romeo
Bottas and Zhou (or Pouchaire)

Haas
Magnussen and [Giovinazzi / Ricciardo / Schumacher]

Alpha Tauri
Tsunoda and [Gasly / Herta / Schumacher / Ricciardo(?)] (in order of likelihood. Ricciardo highly unlikely, but if Gasly moves to Alpine anything is possible)

Williams
Albon and [A.N.Other / Ricciardo(?)] (but they'd need to convince Ricciardo they can and will produce a better car)

I do like reading your F1 posts. Detailed and knowledgeable :thumbsup:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I do like reading your F1 posts. Detailed and knowledgeable :thumbsup:

Cheers :).

Since I posted earlier, there's been a new article on The Race with some interesting snippets re: why Red Bull / AlphaTauri appear willing to let Gasly go to Alpine and then bring in Colton Herta. Specifically this paragraph (which follows another putting forward the rumour that AlphaTauri is on the market to be sold):

This could make recent links between AlphaTauri and Colton Herta more more comprehensible – if AlphaTauri is to be sold, the Andretti camp that is so desperate for an F1 entry would be an obvious interested party. And so putting Herta in that team in anticipation of Andretti Global’s full takeover would make a great deal more sense than Red Bull simply deciding to let someone of Pierre Gasly’s calibre go to take a quick but erratic rookie from IndyCar instead.

The bulk of the article is about the complexities of the possible Red Bull / Porsche future and why it's now looking less likely than originally thought.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I could see Danny Ric at Williams- he says he wants a competitive car but he hasn’t had one since he left Red Bull so that shouldn’t be an issue [emoji12]

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I could see Danny Ric at Williams- he says he wants a competitive car but he hasn’t had one since he left Red Bull so that shouldn’t be an issue [emoji12]

I can as well. As much as they are still the 10th fastest team of 10, there's signs there that they are starting to get themselves together. There's theoretically 3 seats available for next year: Alpine, Haas, and Williams. Alpine, on paper, is the most competitive option. But if I'm honest I think they've hit their ceiling for now. Haas is the next most competitive, but they lack consistency, and there will always be the question about what they can do for next season - do they fall back again now they've lost their "started early on the rules change" advantage, or do they consolidate and become a consistent midfield challenger? More likely the former than the later, unfortunately. And then there's Williams. Mired at the back for a while now, but showing early signs that they might actually be able to recover now the cost-cap is in place and if they do get rid of Latifi (and his dad's money) that's a clear statement that they're feeling more stable financially. That stability is what they need to begin moving forward.

They are also a prime candidate for being sold to someone with better finances and/or racing know-how, assuming Dorilton are willing to sell. If F1 ultimately does block Andretti from entering as an 11th team, might he be able to do a deal? He already tried to buy Sauber, so we know he's open to buying into a team rather than starting from scratch.

Of course ... there's the AlphaTauri situation to consider as well. Additional fuel to the fire re: Gasly's situation is that there's been a leak that the FIA are examining Herta's eligibility (or non-eligibility) for an F1 Super Licence - which he would require if he was to drive in F1 next year.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Ric at Williams

No

Albon has done a great job this season

Someone with sponsorship will take that seat

Think you'll be surprised. They're known to have been talking with Nick de Vries. Mercedes supported driver, but not much sponsorship. If money was the driving factor in Williams' choice for 2023 the easiest option is to retain Latifi. They'll be on the hunt for someone closer to Albon ... if not better if they can get a cut price deal on someone like Ricciardo.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Started seeing rumours of movement re: Gasly to Alpine nearing completion earlier today, but the sources were poor. But it's now being reported on a more reputable site (https://the-race.com/formula-1/gasly-close-to-alpine-move-as-terms-of-red-bull-exit-agreed/). The Race are saying that Alpine and Red Bull have agreed terms for Gasly's release. Also says that regardless of how the CRB rules on the Piastri situation, Piastri will be going to McLaren - it's just a matter of whether or not McLaren will need to pay Alpine compensation. Article also restates the rumour that AlphaTauri might be up for sale, and that they're trying to get Colton Herta in as Gasly's replacement as a sweetener for a potential Andretti takeover.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Alonso makes an unreserved apology to Hamilton

“Nothing I said is true and there are facts that show the opposite. I have absolutely no problems with Lewis. I have huge respect for him. He’s a champion, he’s a legend of our time."

There's part of me feels for Alonso really. He is genuinely one of the most talented F1 drivers who has spent far too much of his career in uncompetitive cars. His frustration boils over sometimes, and I think he says things to stay relevant and in the headlines. Think he also has a very dry, satirical, dark sense of humour that is often misinterpreted. Anyway, kind of glad they've kissed and made up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Alonso makes an unreserved apology to Hamilton

“Nothing I said is true and there are facts that show the opposite. I have absolutely no problems with Lewis. I have huge respect for him. He’s a champion, he’s a legend of our time."

There's part of me feels for Alonso really. He is genuinely one of the most talented F1 drivers who has spent far too much of his career in uncompetitive cars. His frustration boils over sometimes, and I think he says things to stay relevant and in the headlines. Think he also has a very dry, satirical, dark sense of humour that is often misinterpreted. Anyway, kind of glad they've kissed and made up.

His impatience and massive ego have seen him walk away from McClaren, Ferrari, and McClaren again to teams that were not as good just as the team he'd left had a resurgence. He's also walked away from F1. Put simply he has made the wrong choices too often imo. Be interesting to see how Alpine to Aston Martin works out.

He is up there with Schumacher, Hamilton and Verstappen as a driver though and should have won more titles.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ferraris and Mercs quicker than the Red Bulls in practice today and Lewis only .072 of Le Clerc in FP2. Mercs 1st and second in FP1. Promising or Red Bull sandbagging?

Max did have gearbox problems and lost most of the first session though

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Ferraris and Mercs quicker than the Red Bulls in practice today and Lewis only .072 of Le Clerc in FP2. Mercs 1st and second in FP1. Promising or Red Bull sandbagging?

Max did have gearbox problems and lost most of the first session though

di resta did seem to suggest the ferraris had been quicker in the long runs

let's hope so,mercs between them might get the last podium spot.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Piastri situation sorted. Signed for 23 and 24 at McLaren immediately after the British GP. CRB has ruled Alpine didn't have a binding F1 contract with Piastri.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Piastri situation sorted. Signed for 23 and 24 at McLaren immediately after the British GP. CRB has ruled Alpine didn't have a binding F1 contract with Piastri.

Progress!

Gasly to Alpine likely to be confirmed next?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Normal service resumed in P3. Verstappens half a second quicker (and it's a short lap). Nailed on for pole unless something goes pop.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Progress!

Gasly to Alpine likely to be confirmed next?

That's the hot rumour, yes. And then Colton Herta to AT, if the FIA are open to bending the super licence points rules (which, IMO, they should. The points available from Indycar are way too low).

Ricciardo, Hulkenberg look to be the leading options at Haas. Unless Mick Schu can string together a series of strong KMag beating results.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stopped anyone else being able to claim poll…not that I’m a cynic :lolol:

He’s so far off his teammate, like he’s driving a midfield car that he’s trying beyond his talent on track. A genuine spin but he’s reaching the point it must be a bit humiliating week in week out underperforming that much in the same car. I mean Bottas kept Hamilton honest by comparison.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He’s so far off his teammate, like he’s driving a midfield car that he’s trying beyond his talent on track. A genuine spin but he’s reaching the point it must be a bit humiliating week in week out underperforming that much in the same car. I mean Bottas kept Hamilton honest by comparison.

In qualifying certainly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here