Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is exciting, we need a full safety car

I don’t deny that safety cars make for exciting racing but they really do introduce a completely artificial dynamic into Grand Prix. It’s like some bloke winning the London marathon by 2 miles then making him wait at Buckingham Palace so the rest of the field can catch up for a sprint finish down the Mall. Exciting but kind of undermines all that has gone before :shrug:

D

Deleted member 2719

Well, not a result to really help a tighter championship, but great racing from Lando and a race with more Haas overtakes than they could have ever of dreamed of.

We needed George to beat Lewis and the no2's at RB and Ferrari to beat Max.

At least the midfield is very competitive this year, right to the end of the race.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A very enjoyable race in the end and well done Charles. Another under the radar haul of points for Merc will please Lewis, George and Toto, but clear that car is still some way off (especially if you put it in a barrier on the Friday :wink: )

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Fun race.

Overtakes everywhere. Bad luck for Sainz and Perez. I enjoyed Schumacher's race(not sure I've ever said that), that's the second race in a row where he looks to have leveled up. Gasly on the other hand seems to be having a rather poor season.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Update:

Leclerc, Verstappen and Hamilton were all found to have broken Article 12.2.1. of the FIA Sporting Code and have been fined €10,000 each, after they were found guilty of a having “Driver Assistants in Parc Ferme”.

The decision document stated that: “The Stewards received a report from the Media Delegate, which was subsequently confirmed by video evidence, that the physio/drivers’ assistants of the top three finishers entered Parc Ferme without permission and in violation of the procedure that was published prior to the race “for the orderly conduct of the event.”

“In part this is to prevent handing over of items to the drivers prior to them being weighed.

“[Each] Competitor is fined €10,000, which will be suspended for the remainder of the season pending any further violation of the procedure, and the competitors are warned that the passes of the individuals concerned may be revoked in case of systemic violation.”

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No, I am clearly here.:shrug:

No wasps are being chewed here.

Lewis was cheating and moaning so he does have a point.

Poor Carlos and Sergio today. The safety car will make it exciting again.

I missed the race as I was watching the tennis.
Did Lewis beat Russell because his car was better as usual?
Or was that what you referred to as cheating?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Enjoyable race today although I found the number of drivers being penalised or given warnings for track limits a bit farcical. Surely they could put a rougher/sausage kerb in to prevent this as it's not a good look for so many drivers having time penalties.

Ferrari reliability will cost them a proper attempt at the title this season although they do seem to have made a step forward with race pace over the last couple of week. Their straight line speed is immense

D

Deleted member 2719

I missed the race as I was watching the tennis.
Did Lewis beat Russell because his car was better as usual?
Or was that what you referred to as cheating?

Lewis did manage to beat George today by default as George was silly by taking Sergio clean out.

Lewis was moaning when he got Black and White flagged as he exceeded track limits, it wasn't fair because others were doing it.
He didn't want to trust officials, big chip still affecting him, I thought he would have had his head together by now, that is Lewis though even at 37 years old.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you want to stop cars going wide, put more gravel traps out. So many tracks these days are just painted lines on three square miles of tarmac they get used to not suffering for it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you want to stop cars going wide, put more gravel traps out. So many tracks these days are just painted lines on three square miles of tarmac they get used to not suffering for it.

Austria is an odd track like that.

It has gravel traps all the way through the middle section, yet at turns 1, 9 and 10 where it can get really tasty or you can gain a massive advantage, there isn't one, while at three the trap is so far up the hill Edmund Hillary would do well to reach it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Enjoyable race today although I found the number of drivers being penalised or given warnings for track limits a bit farcical. Surely they could put a rougher/sausage kerb in to prevent this as it's not a good look for so many drivers having time penalties.

Ferrari reliability will cost them a proper attempt at the title this season although they do seem to have made a step forward with race pace over the last couple of week. Their straight line speed is immense

The object of such measures would be to dissuade drivers from exceeding track limits, exactly the same as issuing penalties. Physical obstacles, (sausage kerbs, walls, gravel), however allow no room for error and have a knock-on effect of damaging cars and in many cases forcing retirement. Track limits allow a full car width over the white line, something which is caused by a deliberate action from the driver in order to reduce lap times to a minimum, if they exceed those limits then it is driver error. Essentially drivers were warned for each of the first three errors before receiving a penalty on the fourth, plenty of time to adjust. A physical deterrent could well retire a car on the first error.

Drivers and teams knew that track limits were going to be strictly enforced in Austria therefore they have no grounds for complaint when drivers misjudged the limits and exceeded them. The majority of drivers didn't receive penalties as they kept to the rules - unfair to penalise them by allowing others to gain an advantage without any penalty.

Personally I like to see the rules being enforced but would prefer the penalty to be a "drive through" within two laps of the penalty being given so that the positions on the track were the real placings in the race.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Enjoyed the race. Agree with [MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION], exceeding track limits allows for drivers to make a mistake or take avoiding action without breaking their car. The difficulty is monitoring when drivers are repeating the offense. Seemed like race control were giving sufficient warnings, like a ref telling a player he's totted up tackles and a yellow card is coming.

Mercedes have definitely made big improvements and now look to have distanced the rest of the field, but it seems like Ferrari and RB are also making sufficient improvements to stay well ahead of them. The Merc can leave the rest of the field in their wake, even with a 5 sec penalty and nose change / damage for Russell, but can't make a significant challenged on Ferrari or RB.

Seems like Haas has now joined Alpine and McLaren as best of the rest, and some great battles during the race. Schumacher, Ocon and Norris all in better form than their team mates it would seem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some unwelcome stuff around the last GP.

58620425-300F-4280-909C-97AC0063EFC8.png
106FE184-A8B1-47EE-A671-278DAEB1B869.png

D

Deleted member 2719

Is anyone watching???

Quite exciting going into Q3 with Ferrari on fire.

Quick switch it on!

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm tryingwatch but my stream keeps cutting out.

I saw Sainz was top of Q2 by 9 tenths. What was going on there?

Not sure I think he had new tyres, but he was quick.

Cracking lap from Lando and with the Ferrari, RB, Merc, and McClaren all in the top 5. Sainz was the tow man in Q3 a bit of a sickener for him really.

Should be a great race though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here