Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

D

Deleted member 2719

Hamilton had all the experimental setups on his car in free practice, most of which made no difference to what is a dog of a car.

That's very different to putting on slicks and trying to negotiate a large stream at 180mph.

But goats are great swimmers.........apparently!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Why do the commentators go apesh1t over a really dull finish. The called it 'absolutely enthralling' !!! It was anything but. What was "absolutely' clear was that Sainz could not lay a glove on MV.

D

Deleted member 2719

Great drive by Lewis, although I expect zero credit from his biggest HATER

It was okay. Better drive from Max, although I don't suppose his biggest HATER will recognize that.:lolol:

It was an okay race, but McLaren needed to get that car sorted out and join the party. Horner and the lads are definitely on their A-game though.

Lewis to win at Silverstone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Certainly more entertaining than Baku but this is not going to be a classic season, as was being promised in the early couple of races. It's a Max procession and I imagine I'll have lost all interest by the time the football restarts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was okay. Better drive from Max, although I don't suppose his biggest HATER will recognize that.:lolol:

It was an okay race, but McLaren needed to get that car sorted out and join the party. Horner and the lads are definitely on their A-game though.

Lewis to win at Silverstone.

Have I been slagging off Max all season? You’ve certainly been slagging off Lewis and bigging up George from day 1. THAT’S what a hater does :smile:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Max is an exceptional driver as he showed in those last 16 laps. Had that been Leclerc I fancy an overtake would have at least been attempted, but Sainz is just a little too ragged when it matters. It was an imperious weekend for the world champion, he seems to have responded to the Perez challenge.

Yuki Tsunoda - take a bow for the most ridiculous crash in years. There have been many shocking drivers over the years, but crashing out of the pit lane before you even hit a turn in the track is right up there - no wonder you kept your helmet on as you walked past the stand!! :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
When Max was 40 some points behind LeClerc I thought they were perilously close to being out the title fight. Six races later with Leclerc now 40 some points behind are they perilously close to being out? Can there be another big swing in the championship or is it now a procession for Max and Red Bull?

I suspect it'll be something of a procession but I was very wrong two months ago so you never know. It does seem like the best chance for a close season is going to be down to reliability though.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When Max was 40 some points behind LeClerc I thought they were perilously close to being out the title fight. Six races later with Leclerc now 40 some points behind are they perilously close to being out? Can there be another big swing in the championship or is it now a procession for Max and Red Bull?

I suspect it'll be something of a procession but I was very wrong two months ago so you never know. It does seem like the best chance for a close season is going to be down to reliability though.

Twists and turns to come I fancy. Red Bull will take their own penalties and some point, and they still have a reliability shadow hanging over them. Plus at some point Max will take someone out and get a DNF. So still think there is a long way to go in this championship yet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Looking forward to seeing if Mercedes can enter the fray for a win at Silverstone. Given how dominant Max was in Montreal It was a surprisingly enjoyable race for me. Mainly because Mercedes seemed to be getting closer to Ferrari and Red Bull on race pace I guess.

Got to feel for Perez, he is getting most of Red Bull’s bad luck now. They seem to be on the edge in reliabilty with one car or the other failing in most races. Mercedes reliability seems to be good though, it COULD get interesting but not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Looking forward to seeing if Mercedes can enter the fray for a win at Silverstone. Given how dominant Max was in Montreal It was a surprisingly enjoyable race for me. Mainly because Mercedes seemed to be getting closer to Ferrari and Red Bull on race pace I guess.

Got to feel for Perez, he is getting most of Red Bull’s bad luck now. They seem to be on the edge in reliabilty with one car or the other failing in most races. Mercedes reliability seems to be good though, it COULD get interesting but not holding my breath.

Perez can't blame bad luck for his qualifying mistake. It's these types of things that set drivers apart. Inconclusive whether his qualifying crash contributed to the reason for his race retirement, seems like it might have been gearbox/transmission which could have suffered unseen hairline damage in the shunt. Probably something RB aren't going to say.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Max is an exceptional driver as he showed in those last 16 laps. Had that been Leclerc I fancy an overtake would have at least been attempted, but Sainz is just a little too ragged when it matters.

Sainz is the Bottas to Leclerc's Hamilton. Just that level down on their teammate, which is why one's (nominally at least) in a title fight and the other isn't.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Why do the commentators go apesh1t over a really dull finish. The called it 'absolutely enthralling' !!! It was anything but. What was "absolutely' clear was that Sainz could not lay a glove on MV.

Sainz had a chance with two laps to go, and blew it going slightly deep at the hairpin. To be honest, I think Tsunoda cost us what might have been a better finish with Verstappen catching and then attempting to pass Sainz at the end, with Sainz on older tyres but desperate to hold on for the win. Once the safety car came out, Sainz' fate was sealed (barring being able to get just that little bit closer in that final hairpin).

Anyway: all it would have taken was one mistake by Max in that first sector and Sainz would have had him. Have to hand it to Max, he drove very well from the front. Had it been Leclerc behind him at the restart, however, I think it would have been a different result.

Twists and turns to come I fancy. Red Bull will take their own penalties and some point, and they still have a reliability shadow hanging over them. Plus at some point Max will take someone out and get a DNF. So still think there is a long way to go in this championship yet.

Yep, I agree there's probably more twists to come. Question will be whether they're on the race track (WDC race could easily swing back again the same way it's swung already) or off it (FIA's anti-porpoising edict that is believed will affect Ferrari worse than Red Bull).

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

F1 is the product by which they earn their living. In the same way that a company sales rep doesn’t have much of a future at a firm if they tell the customer the product they’re selling is poor, F1 commentators are rarely completely honest in assessing the quality of a race when it’s been a bit lacklustre.

Interest in F1 (and most other sports) relies on everyone believing it’s worth watching. Lose that belief, and the viewing figures nosedive, the sponsors don’t renew, and the whole thing implodes financially.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
F1 is the product by which they earn their living. In the same way that a company sales rep doesn’t have much of a future at a firm if they tell the customer the product they’re selling is poor, F1 commentators are rarely completely honest in assessing the quality of a race when it’s been a bit lacklustre.

Interest in F1 (and most other sports) relies on everyone believing it’s worth watching. Lose that belief, and the viewing figures nosedive, the sponsors don’t renew, and the whole thing implodes financially.

Anyone who takes a keen interest in F1 knew that Sainz had zero chance of passing Max in the closing stages. As someone else said he is Ferrari’s Bottas, just not good enough. Le Clerc would have had a chance but much as I’m not a Max fan, he is right up there as an all time great already and I doubt he would have managed an overtake either. Max would have run him off the track if required.(Le Clerc that is not Sainz)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
But I thought Hamilton was the one experimenting and taking it on the chin this year, has he thrown a tatrumn again or have they switched roles?

You really dislike Hamilton don't you?

Have Horner, Verstappen never thrown a tantrum? Or are you so biased, you do an Arsène?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You really dislike Hamilton don't you?

You think? I have never come across someone who hates an F1 driver so much, he gets absolutely zero credit for being 7 times champ, it’s 100% down to the car don’t you know.

Personally I think Lewis has been brilliant in his handling of this season’s disappointments. Yes he’s pissed but is willing to throw everything into helping to sort it, to his detriment as he is the one experimenting whilst Russell is doing a great job driving the car in the best setup available on race days. Not a big Russell fan but it seems to be an ideal partnership..

rool

Jul 10, 2003
You think? I have never come across someone who hates an F1 driver so much, he gets absolutely zero credit for being 7 times champ, it’s 100% down to the car don’t you know.

I know he's palace but he appeared to have some bile towards Patrick Vieira for the post match incident at Everton.
I wonder what the connection could be?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here