Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A good a thread as any but only sort of related to F1. I've had the covids and spent today monging in front of the telly watching netflix. I watched "Need for Weed" which is the 2nd episode of Bad Sport which is 6 episodes of sporting scandels. Having not known anything about Randy Lanier beforehand the motorsport and drug kingpin story is so off the charts you couldn't make it up with Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve and the Hoff cameos in the whole thing.

Well worth 80 mins of your time. Possibly the best I've seen all year.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It’s not a minimum ride height- it’s monitoring the porpoising. So Merc will have to raise their ride height and others will not or will need to less. Merc are gonna be hit the hardest. I support this measure they had to step in to protect the drivers’ welfare.

Yup. Read some more on The Race this evening. Merc will be in trouble. As will Ferrari.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yup. Read some more on The Race this evening. Merc will be in trouble. As will Ferrari.

Odd that Mercedes were the ones shouting loudest for something like this to happen then?

I will be gutted if this gives Red Bull a free run to the title. The smugness of Max and Horner will be unbearable :down:

At least Ferrari have been keeping them honest so far.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Odd that Mercedes were the ones shouting loudest for something like this to happen then?

I will be gutted if this gives Red Bull a free run to the title. The smugness of Max and Horner will be unbearable :down:

At least Ferrari have been keeping them honest so far.

I don't think this is being driven by the teams. It's been driven by the drivers in spite of the preferred position of their teams. It's a rare instance of the drivers putting their own health and well being ahead of results. There's no coincidence here, I think, that it's all come to a head after Baku.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton being remarkably philosophical about the dog of a car he is driving, even smiling about it when interviewed last night.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but he does not seem to be throwing his toys out of the pram and is knuckling down to trying to help sort the car out

Disappointing for him, his fans and F1 that Mercs as so far off the pace as Red Bull continue to improve and Ferrari fall back with their chocolate engines.

What looked like it might be a great season has turned into one that is all about one team and driver whose team mate isn’t even allowed to race him. At least Mercs let their drivers race when they were the best team

The season is heading towards being a damp squib :down:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So the idea is the rules come in for Silverstone?

It will make that an ‘interesting’ weekend - albeit this is becoming high level geekery.

‘Why is Hamilton at the back of the grid’ ‘oh his in-ear accelerometer recorded vertical oscillation of too high a frequency and he has been demoted as a technical infringement’

That sort of excitement.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Hamilton being remarkably philosophical about the dog of a car he is driving, even smiling about it when interviewed last night.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but he does not seem to be throwing his toys out of the pram and is knuckling down to trying to help sort the car out

Disappointing for him, his fans and F1 that Mercs as so far off the pace as Red Bull continue to improve and Ferrari fall back with their chocolate engines.

What looked like it might be a great season has turned into one that is all about one team and driver whose team mate isn’t even allowed to race him. At least Mercs let their drivers race when they were the best team

The season is heading towards being a damp squib :down:

After last seasons farcical ending think he came back with a point to prove but the team has delivered him a pig of a car which must be like a double kick in the nuts. He is being polite pragmatic in front of the cameras and working working for the team to improve the car but he looks a bit deflated and resigned to me and does not have that usual terrifying hunger we see in him.

Fingers crossed the Mercs can sort themselves out and Hamilton still has it in him to go for another title next season

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So the idea is the rules come in for Silverstone?

It will make that an ‘interesting’ weekend - albeit this is becoming high level geekery.

‘Why is Hamilton at the back of the grid’ ‘oh his in-ear accelerometer recorded vertical oscillation of too high a frequency and he has been demoted as a technical infringement’

That sort of excitement.

Ironic that the technical changes introduced to enable closer racing seem to have resulted in a befuddling aerodynamic cluster**** that is having the exact opposite effect.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After last seasons farcical ending think he came back with a point to prove but the team has delivered him a pig of a car which must be like a double kick in the nuts. He is being polite pragmatic in front of the cameras and working working for the team to improve the car but he looks a bit deflated and resigned to me and does not have that usual terrifying hunger we see in him.

Fingers crossed the Mercs can sort themselves out and Hamilton still has it in him to go for another title next season

In fairness they have given him a top car every year since his second season until this one. It must be very tough to keep a positive attitude when he has zero confidence in the car. Russell is doing a fine job but he is young, probably more fearless and is used to driving an under performing car. It’s as good a mix as Merc could wish for given how shit their car is this year. If anyone can give the feedback required to sort it, it’s going to be Lewis.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have to say those of us who lived through the years of Red Bull dominance in the early 2010s and the Ferrari dominance from the late 1990s do find it amusing seeing all the social media people loving that Mercedes dominance is being ended by Red Bull and (to a lesser extent) Ferrari,

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Can’t believe they sent Russell out on slicks in Q3 just so Hamilton could qualify in front of him for once. Desperate times.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Really bizarre call, could understand it had it been someone like Ricciardo who wasn’t going to get further forward, but Russell was flying, could well have been front row

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Explanation here-

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-giant-killing-that-inspired-russells-failed-hero-moment/

Roll of the dice I guess - but it seemed far fetched and I agree - in hindsight - he possibly sacrificed P2 in a long-shot attempt to secure P1.

Its a good article (Well, I would say that I suppose) but I don't know why Russell felt the need to roll the dice so much. Leclerc was starting last. Perez was wandering about in the shrubs so he was only really racing Verstappen, Sainz and Alonso. Verstappen was the only one he wasn't lapping close enough to.

Even if it had of paid of, I'm not sure what the lasting advantage would be. Its a pretty straightforward circuit to overtake on with a performance advantage which the Ferrari and Red Bull have in spades in the dry which it will be today. Monaco I'd get it but not so much here. Russell is doing extremely well this year - and was by far the quicker of the 2 mercs this weekend before Q3 - but not sure his Williams experience helped him here. In the circumstances the percentage call was the right one.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can’t believe they sent Russell out on slicks in Q3 just so Hamilton could qualify in front of him for once. Desperate times.

Except it was Russell’s call :rolleyes:

First break Lewis has had this season too, he was very chuffed to get fourth, which is telling given that he’s a 7 times champ.

D

Deleted member 2719

Except it was Russell’s call :rolleyes:

First break Lewis has had this season too, he was very chuffed to get fourth, which is telling given that he’s a 7 times champ.

But I thought Hamilton was the one experimenting and taking it on the chin this year, has he thrown a tatrumn again or have they switched roles?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But I thought Hamilton was the one experimenting and taking it on the chin this year, has he thrown a tatrumn again or have they switched roles?

It was a fecking stupid idea, I can’t imagine it even crossed Lewis’ mind :lolol:

There’s experimenting and there’s gung ho gambling

Anyway get back to backing Max :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hamilton had all the experimental setups on his car in free practice, most of which made no difference to what is a dog of a car.

That's very different to putting on slicks and trying to negotiate a large stream at 180mph.

D

Deleted member 2719

It was a fecking stupid idea, I can’t imagine it even crossed Lewis’ mind :lolol:

There’s experimenting and there’s gung ho gambling

Anyway get back to backing Max :smile:

I am not a Max backer, I am a lando lover.... I just love genuine guys who race their nuts off and a close world championship to the end.
Let's hope for an exciting one today.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here