Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hadn't seen the video before, but I know Lewis as like every driver and will be looking to get more out of their car. I am sure he is like a bear with a sore head.
He has found George has really challenged him on pace and been shocked at perhaps he is not as great as he and his ego make out.
Perhaps the Merc got him 5 of the world championship because of its dominance, which I truly believe by the way.
Let's see who is the smarter better driver between the two....George for plugging away with minor changes and getting good points or Lewis tinkering and frustrating everyone around him in to finding performance. I would suggest Lewis backs off the big adjustments and stick to his driving skill with feedback.
Next years car is more important if he doesn't want to drift down off the podiums never to be seen again Vettel style.

Perhaps he has spent too much time with too many divas in the fashion industry.

Of course, I want Merc and McLaren to find pace and Ferrari some reliability, there is still time to squeeze it up so, it's within reach, much of that will depend on how mature Max and Perez and Red Bull are as a team, at present Horner has them all finely tuned in.

Assuming Lewis can dial the problems out, the set up will be moved to Russells car. Lucky you aren’t involved in F1 with your “let’s not try and get the car sorted, just drive it as it is” attitude. Your team would be lapped numerous times every race :lolol:

I really feel for Perez, he has shown himself to be a match for Max but isn’t allowed to race him. Give Mercedes credit for letting their drivers race unless and until one is so far ahead it will be to detriment of the team not to give team orders

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Mouldy, have a look at the video I posted in post 645. It's Stoffel Vandoorne talking about the different approaches of Lewis and George to their car set up.

Lewis is trying to improve the cars capabilities, George is trying to maximise what it currently offers.

In other words George has accepted the cars limitations and is making sure he finishes as the third best car on the grid. Lewis isn't accepting third best and is trying different things to try and get it competitive against the Red Bull and Ferrari cars.

As someone who has repeatedly said he wants a close, competitive championship race you should really be hoping that Lewis succeeds in unlocking the car. The extra pace you say we need from Mercedes is only going to come from Lewis's experimentation's, not from George's more pragmatic approach to the car.

I think this is a team-wide approach, rather than being led by the drivers themselves. George and Lewis are a part of it, but I believe what we're seeing is Mercedes taking a scientific approach to figuring out the car. Lewis has been there longer, he's a very well known quantity, and he's got nothing to prove - so they've given him the experimentation job. Russel, on the other hand, is new to the team, not as well established in F1 or the team, and I think they've given him the "optimise the car as it is" role as it's the lower risk role in terms of helping Russell get fully up to speed within the team and not risk him taking a confidence hit. They know Hamilton will handle the situation where the car he has under him is constantly changing, while we've Russell they've opted to give him stability.

I expect them to start changing it up a little as the season goes on, perhaps giving Russell a weekend or two in the experimentation role and Hamilton having the "optimised current car" for that weekend.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I thought the Ricciardo / Norris situation was interesting, especially Norris' dummy-spit at the end. Norris I think completely forgot there that the "strategy call" from earlier in the race to keep Ricciardo behind a) failed anyway, and b) cost Ricciardo a bunch of time that would have meant Norris not being in a position to challenge at the end of the race (and perhaps, ironically, cost Ricciardo the chance to beat Alonso that they were trying to engineer for Norris).

I suspect McLaren will look back on that one as a missed opportunity. Probably should have let Ricciardo go earlier in the race, used him to pull Norris along via the DRS tow, and maybe got a slightly better result for both drivers.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Sorry (no I'm not) for third post on the trot.

Talk is that Piastri will get the second seat alongside Albon at Williams for next year, with Latifi heading out of F1. The talk is that he has an exit clause that allows him to leave Alpine if they haven't found him an F1 seat for '23 before the end of June. Alpine is therefore expected to fund his entry to Williams, as they want to keep him for when Alonso decides he's had enough. Announcement expected at the British GP.

There was some talk that he was in the frame to actually race for Williams from the British GP onwards, but that's apparently not the case. There's a source who confirms it was discussed initially as an option, but was quickly discarded.

I would therefore expect Piastri to get some seat time in FP1 sessions later this year.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Max would have got past anyway, Perez was miles slower at that point but if he held up Max they both would have been caught by Leclerc.

Perez toasted his tyres at the start to get past and stretch Le Clerc. He is just the fall guy for Max imo and the game plan just involves him doing whatever is necessary for Max to win. It's a shame imo as I think he could run Max very close...if he was allowed to.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think this is a team-wide approach, rather than being led by the drivers themselves. George and Lewis are a part of it, but I believe what we're seeing is Mercedes taking a scientific approach to figuring out the car. Lewis has been there longer, he's a very well known quantity, and he's got nothing to prove - so they've given him the experimentation job. Russel, on the other hand, is new to the team, not as well established in F1 or the team, and I think they've given him the "optimise the car as it is" role as it's the lower risk role in terms of helping Russell get fully up to speed within the team and not risk him taking a confidence hit. They know Hamilton will handle the situation where the car he has under him is constantly changing, while we've Russell they've opted to give him stability.

I expect them to start changing it up a little as the season goes on, perhaps giving Russell a weekend or two in the experimentation role and Hamilton having the "optimised current car" for that weekend.

That's very possibly true. I just found it an interesting insight from someone close to the coalface the two different approaches that are being taken. It gives us pause for thought when we ponder the difference in results between the two drivers.

At least it should...

I hadn't seen the video before, but I know Lewis as like every driver and will be looking to get more out of their car. I am sure he is like a bear with a sore head.
He has found George has really challenged him on pace and been shocked at perhaps he is not as great as he and his ego make out.
Perhaps the Merc got him 5 of the world championship because of its dominance, which I truly believe by the way.
Let's see who is the smarter better driver between the two....George for plugging away with minor changes and getting good points or Lewis tinkering and frustrating everyone around him in to finding performance. I would suggest Lewis backs off the big adjustments and stick to his driving skill with feedback.
Next years car is more important if he doesn't want to drift down off the podiums never to be seen again Vettel style.

Perhaps he has spent too much time with too many divas in the fashion industry.

Of course, I want Merc and McLaren to find pace and Ferrari some reliability, there is still time to squeeze it up so, it's within reach, much of that will depend on how mature Max and Perez and Red Bull are as a team, at present Horner has them all finely tuned in.

There's a lot of cheap shots and conjecture based on wishful thinking there. It doesn't really address the facts stated in the video by someone who is closely involved in the whole process.

So if you want Mercedes to find pace then I can presume you want Lewis to be successful in his experimentation's? As I said before, the pragmatic approach of accepting the car as it is and trying to maximise what little it has to offer isn't going to find the required pace improvement. That's only going to come from Lewis's experiments.

And those experiments are what will help build a better car for next season. Maybe Hamilton agrees with you on that point.:eek:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Would love to be a fly on the wall in the Engine department @ Ferrari this morning

You’d probably have got swotted with all the arm waving that will have gone on

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Could see Merc drop down the order as they are gonna be slower now.

Depends on the details. If they enforce a minimum ride height, it could actually help Merc (relatively). Does sound more like they're planning to put sensors on the cars that will monitor for excessive bounce / porpoising, though, in which case Merc are in trouble.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Depends on the details. If they enforce a minimum ride height, it could actually help Merc (relatively). Does sound more like they're planning to put sensors on the cars that will monitor for excessive bounce / porpoising, though, in which case Merc are in trouble.

It’s not a minimum ride height- it’s monitoring the porpoising. So Merc will have to raise their ride height and others will not or will need to less. Merc are gonna be hit the hardest. I support this measure they had to step in to protect the drivers’ welfare.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
4bc594d15fc18e12068f510af1069948.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Looking at the video clip here-

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...nterest-of-safety.68ksm55ASFylepFVUS4yGy.html

They’ve already got all of the data here for all of the cars so it’s just a case of deciding what variables they’re going to control / enforce. Looks like every team is dealing with it in some level so this looks like it’s going to become a big challenge to get under control - balanced with retaining performance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is doing my Swede and I'm not even that OCD.

Can one of you change your name to Doc Brown? But NOT both of you. :nono: :wrong:

marty.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here