Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Its just a boring circuit for F1. overtaking is virtually impossible...F1 should be on circuits where cars and drivers can race, not trundle round in a procession.

If that's what you want to watch then maybe Indy car racing is for you - many people prefer it - F1 is not, never has been, just about the driver and the race on Sunday - it is just as much about innovation, car development and the fans.

D

Deleted member 2719

So when George is ahead of Lewis it’s the drivers but when Lewis beat Rossburg and Bottas it was because he had a better car? :mad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosberg was okay, but he was in a fast car and Lewis was the golden boy, the image fitted Mercedes, he was the favorite son, and Bottas was just a mannequin.
Like I have said Hammy is quick but best of all time, no chance.
George is a competitive and will Hammy ego like that..........no chance.
I am starting to wonder whether he has already chucked the towel in, maybe this season will just be more about branding his fashion, than racing a car fast.

Let's hope Merc starts to perform soon, to see if he still has anything about him at all.

well that was the most interesting Monaco race for years...race should have been longer as they didnt stop the clock after the second red flag so the race was like 15 minutes shorter. Cue Ferrari complaining to the new race control that it cost them the chance to win the race - as longer race may have changed tyre strategy..

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
They never stop the clock. At the start- the race hadn’t started they just did formation laps then went back in- so the clock hadn’t started until the second time they went out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rosberg was okay, but he was in a fast car and Lewis was the golden boy, the image fitted Mercedes, he was the favorite son, and Bottas was just a mannequin.
Like I have said Hammy is quick but best of all time, no chance.
George is a competitive and will Hammy ego like that..........no chance.
I am starting to wonder whether he has already chucked the towel in, maybe this season will just be more about branding his fashion, than racing a car fast.

Let's hope Merc starts to perform soon, to see if he still has anything about him at all.

I only listened on a regularly freezing BBC Sounds radio broadcast, and one happened immediately after Hamilton changed tyres. Am I right in thinking that the fates conspired against Hamilton after he switched to Inters to undercut Alonso that a red flag followed allowing Alonso to get a free tyre change and keep Hamilton behind him? That’s the only reason I can think of that Hamilton didn’t get past Alonso. I gather that there was a coming together with Ocon, whose fault was that?

Anyone?

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Ocon got a penalty so I assume that incident has his fault.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
And that's exactly his style.

So we have a four-horse race, hopefully, Merc and McLaren can find some more pace too.

With George whipping Hamilton, perhaps the car was his secret to his past success, who would have thought it.

The main thing is there is an opportunity for 4 drivers to win it this season, how exciting for everyone.
I don't think so. In my opinion Alonso was stopping Hamilton getting past to get maximum points for his team alongside Ocon.
When it became obvious he wasn't going to get past Alonso because of his spoiling tactics why wouldn't he do the same to the car behind him.
I thought Alonso was respected as a racer rather than a spoiler.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ocon got a penalty so I assume that incident has his fault.

I don't think so. In my opinion Alonso was stopping Hamilton getting past to get maximum points for his team alongside Ocon.
When it became obvious he wasn't going to get past Alonso because of his spoiling tactics why wouldn't he do the same to the car behind him.

It's not an anti-Hamilton thing but I really thought they got Ocon's time penalty wrong, he was ahead of Hamilton, and Hamilton stuck his nose in where he was always in danger and was never going to get past him there, it was a typical frustration move from him IMO.

D

Deleted member 2719

Alonso has a history with Lewis, he brings it on himself, I can guarantee you Alonso got much pleasure at spoiling his race while holding his own and looking after his tyres.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Weird how the FIA chose not to penalise Max for fairly obviously cutting the pit lane exit line.

And by weird I obviously mean “not at all surprising”.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Marcus Ericsson has just won the Indy 500

Nearly a great day for Mexico,O'Ward 2nd

Red flag with 4 laps to go

Great finish

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Hamilton has been rightly considered as the greatest driver of all time, but in the space of 1 season he is now in the middle of the pack and been outdriven by his inexperienced team mate.

Just shows that the car is an important part of a drivers successes.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Alonso has a history with Lewis, he brings it on himself, I can guarantee you Alonso got much pleasure at spoiling his race while holding his own and looking after his tyres.

I imagine if they could have listened to the live broadcast of Alonso's radio you would have heard him cackling maniacally for those 20 minutes.

Alonso hates Hamilton. Has done since Hamilton took the two time reigning world champion to school on the first corner of his F1 career.

Alonso only ever gives the faintest of praise to Hamilton and even then it's begrudging so I have no doubt that he immensely enjoyed keeping Hamilton behind him and denying him a whopping two extra points.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
https://www.skysports.com/amp/f1/ne...rd-place-claim-clear-rules-breach-at-pit-exit

Ferrari protest- potential 5 second penalties could change the race result?

Protest was dismissed. FIA not covered themselves in glory, though - Ferrari's protest was on the basis of what turned out to be a "copy & paste" error. The rule re: crossing the pit exit lines was changed for this season, but the pre-race notes used last year's notes. Ferrari, incorrectly, argued that the race director's notes should take precedence over the rules. At least the stewards made the right call on that one this year (unlike the last race last year...) and clearly said the rules take priority.

As much as I enjoyed watching the Channel 4 highlights package, I must say I won't miss Monaco if it disappears off the schedule. This race was spiced up a little by the wet track, but even so it just proved that this is not a track (and hasn't been for years now) where drivers can actually race. Even with a massive tyre performance offset, Gasly struggled to make much headway until the wets on the cars ahead of him had completely given up. Hamilton was massively faster than Ocon after going to Inters earlier and could do nothing about it. And then Alonso's piss-taking holding Hamilton behind him with Hamilton completely unable to do anything about it. Even Perez out front, during that phase where he had the graining Sainz could do nothing about getting past.

Monaco is all about qualifying well and then not making any mistakes with strategy. Ferrari got the former spot on, but then bungled the latter. Other than that, it was processional.

Finally, I must apologise to Bottas. Clearly jinxed him by mentioning pre-race that the Alfa might be a dark horse for Monaco. Car promptly let's him down for first practice on Friday and from there on never really had the pace to trouble the front.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Weird how the FIA chose not to penalise Max for fairly obviously cutting the pit lane exit line.

And by weird I obviously mean “not at all surprising”.

Not weird. Apparently the rule was changed for 2022 and now drivers won't be penalised unless they cross the line with an entire tyre. Simply putting a tyre on the line is ok. The C4 commentators clearly weren't aware, and it won't have been helped by the FIA forgetting the update the pre-race race directors notes to reflect that change.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I imagine if they could have listened to the live broadcast of Alonso's radio you would have heard him cackling maniacally for those 20 minutes.

Alonso hates Hamilton. Has done since Hamilton took the two time reigning world champion to school on the first corner of his F1 career.

Alonso only ever gives the faintest of praise to Hamilton and even then it's begrudging so I have no doubt that he immensely enjoyed keeping Hamilton behind him and denying him a whopping two extra points.

I don't think that's true. Alonso knows how good he was and how much of his career he spent in the wrong cars. He's made bigger mistakes off the track than he ever did on it. Let's face it, he fell out with pretty much every team he raced with. If he'd stayed at Ferrari then I suspect he may well have won the 2017 and 2018 championships that Vettel messed up when Ferrari was often faster than the Merc.

Alonso had a chance in 2 title chasing teams when at McLaren and Ferrari and had his contract cancelled by mutual consent both times. On both occasions he went on to join uncompetitive teams.

So now with all the hype about Lewis being the GOAT or whatever else he finds that very hard to swallow, I think it's more about achievements than Hamilton personally. He often ends his aloof interviews saying how good Hamilton is. I think he is genuinely enjoying Hamilton being in the midfield because it echoes his career in uncompetitive cars. At least he's getting a bit of attention though with Lewis near him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not weird. Apparently the rule was changed for 2022 and now drivers won't be penalised unless they cross the line with an entire tyre. Simply putting a tyre on the line is ok. The C4 commentators clearly weren't aware, and it won't have been helped by the FIA forgetting the update the pre-race race directors notes to reflect that change.

So the FIA really did have a total meltdown yesterday then? A total farce from start to finish.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So the FIA really did have a total meltdown yesterday then? A total farce from start to finish.

Not a total meltdown, no. Some of what happened was in their control (the red flag for Schumacher's crash should have been flown the instant they saw footage of the broken car, and the race notes should have been correct). Some wasn't (the race start was delayed because of a power outage, not because of race control dithering). And some was simply the commentators not knowing about rule changes (the exact rule for 2022 re: pit exit line).

Could they have done better? Yes. Was it a "total meltdown"? No.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
They do seem to have an aversion to allowing the cars to race in wet conditions. I get the red flag is needed when the track is flooded and aquaplaning occurs, but it looked like the race could have started on time yesterday- normal start with wet tyres, then see how long it could have gone on for, red flag as last resort.

They are obsessed with red flags and safety car periods these days. It's just blocking racing in interesting conditions and making the whole spectacle more boring. Many classic races of the past occurred in wet conditions- now we just watch them parked in the pits or following the safety car. Party poopers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here