Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Come on Mercedes sort this car out and let's make it a three horse race for the title

Mercedes drivers George Russell and Lewis Hamilton were only 11th and 13th.

Seven-time champion Hamilton said it had been "a difficult session".

"Nothing we change on the car makes a difference at the moment," Hamilton said, "so that's the difficult thing.

"You get in very optimistic and make changes and then it doesn't seem to be wanting to improve. We made some changes into P2. P1 was better and P2 ended up being a bit harder for me. It's just a tricky car.

"This is the way it is so we just have to drive with it. That's the frustrating thing. You're trying to push and catch and even when you do a decent lap it's 1.2 seconds down."

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My best mate had a 6 wheeler scalextric

looked good, but wasn't as quick as my Martini Brabham.

Might have been if you'd put a bit of olive oil on the bends though :smile:

D

Deleted member 2719

Come on Mercedes sort this car out and let's make it a three-horse race for the title

"Nothing we change on the car makes a difference at the moment," Hamilton said, "so that's the difficult thing.

"You get in very optimistic and make changes and then it doesn't seem to be wanting to improve. We made some changes to P2. P1 was better and P2 ended up being a bit harder for me. It's just a tricky car.

"This is the way it is so we just have to drive with it. That's the frustrating thing. You're trying to push and catch and even when you do a decent lap it's 1.2 seconds down."

I think it is still a three-horse race, very early days, plenty of entertainment to be seen this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Come on Mercedes sort this car out and let's make it a three horse race for the title

"You get in very optimistic and make changes and then it doesn't seem to be wanting to improve. We made some changes into P2. P1 was better and P2 ended up being a bit harder for me. It's just a tricky car.

Going to be a while for them. If it was an easy fix it would have happened.I think they're still collecting as much data as possible so trying all available trims and settings. They need a significant upgrade and can't make another mistake getting it wrong, so development wise they have to be sure. They're effectively testing still. Remains to be seen if they can find a solution.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Going to be a while for them. If it was an easy fix it would have happened.I think they're still collecting as much data as possible so trying all available trims and settings. They need a significant upgrade and can't make another mistake getting it wrong, so development wise they have to be sure. They're effectively testing still. Remains to be seen if they can find a solution.

True. when a couple of tenths a lap is well off the pace, more than a second is what the also rans normally do and that is what Mercedes are at the moment. All the bluster last season that Red Bull were concentrating on that season only whilst Mercedes were allegedly putting most of their research and effort into this rule change season is now sounding like bullshit.

Happens to every great team, Williams, Mclaren, Red Bull and Ferrari eventually fell away very quickly after years of dominance. It could be years before the Mercs are front row competitors again....it could be in a few weeks. I will be surprised if they can turn it around much as I'd like them to, just so that Lewis can go toe to toe with the new kids on the block, something I was looking forward to after last season's last race jiggery pokery

I imagine Bottas has rather a large smirk on his face at the moment as he drives for the reborn Ferrari B team

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Leclerc set the fastest lap ever 1:18.978. Almost 6 seconds faster than Schumacher record lap in 2004. Although Schumacher's was during a race.

I heard on R5 during practice that this year’s course is 24m shorter and they’ve taken out a chicane so always going to be faster.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Leclerc set the fastest lap ever 1:18.978. Almost 6 seconds faster than Schumacher record lap in 2004. Although Schumacher's was during a race.

Not really a relevant comparison - the track has been changed considerably this year.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
More late drama in F1. One of the DRS zones has been removed at very late notice. This has caused controversy with the teams. The biggest winners are expected to be Alpine as they get less “porpoising” without it as far as I understand it. Alonso was allegedly instrumental in getting this zone removed on “safety” issues.

Quali starting in 45 mins

Talk of Singapore replacing Russian GP making that two races there. I’d rather there were none there so it’s a massive BOOOO from me, it’s shit street circuit imo

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a turn around from McLaren, the Merc PU not the problem it would seem. Fantastic qualifying from Norris, 3/10ths faster than Ricciardo. Thankfully LeClerc is driving the wheels off his Ferrari!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I hope all the teams eventually get a grip on this porpoising issue, as it's just making it look comedic at the moment. The alleged pinnacle of motorsport - bounce, bounce, bounce bounce.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I hope all the teams eventually get a grip on this porpoising issue, as it's just making it look comedic at the moment. The alleged pinnacle of motorsport - bounce, bounce, bounce bounce.

Softer springs, firmer dampers, works on the Cortina although I haven't got tea trays glued to mine. :rolleyes:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
WTF was Latifi doing? Taking on the Mazepin role.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
WTF was Latifi doing? Taking on the Mazepin role.

My first reaction but on playback it was 100% Stroll who slowed down after going past Latifi and then turned in on him as Latifi went for a quick lap

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great starts by Lewis and George making up two places. Virtual safety car already as Sainz goes off, now a full safety car

D

Deleted member 2719

With the stops that will happen today, should help George and lewis, this should be full of incident.

The commentator is a bit of a dick, he was suggesting that the grass was slippery even know they hadnt had rain for some days.

What a knob, grass has always had low friction especially on a breaking point and tight bend with slicks on.

D

Deleted member 2719

I wonder if the mad German will let George pass lewis?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s a bit like cycling for the 4 merc powered cars, LH could be the fastest of the 4 because he doesn’t have DRS, similar to a cyclist on the front of a group, so he could give the place to GR but he’d then have no DRS. Anyway academic now as LH appears to have pulled out over 1 sec, and GR pulled over a sec in front of Norris.

It’s looking good improvements for our 3 Brits though with race pace.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hamilton right on Perez again. Tyres? Did Lewis just nurse them a bit in those laps he appeared to be holding up the others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here