Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not read through the reaction to the race, but did anyone think all the cars are noticeably more sluggish than last year's, especially out of the turns. I know they are actually slower, but I didn't think it would be so much you could visibly see it. Was that just me?

Personally I don't think inexorably bigger and heavier is the way the cars should be going, obviously want to make it safe and encourage close racing.

Also, what was going on with the tyres after the pit stops? That first bend looked like it had an oil slick on it. It still doesn't look like the pirelli tyres are dong much to help the spectacle.

I was pleased to see the grid get a mix up though. Funny to see Haas and Alfa mix it with the big boys, though doubt Maclaren and Aston Martin see it like that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not read through the reaction to the race, but did anyone think all the cars are noticeably more sluggish than last year's, especially out of the turns. I know they are actually slower, but I didn't think it would be so much you could visibly see it. Was that just me?

Personally I don't think inexorably bigger and heavier is the way the cars should be going, obviously want to make it safe and encourage close racing.

Also, what was going on with the tyres after the pit stops? That first bend looked like it had an oil slick on it. It still doesn't look like the pirelli tyres are dong much to help the spectacle.

I was pleased to see the grid get a mix up though. Funny to see Haas and Alfa mix it with the big boys, though doubt Maclaren and Aston Martin see it like that.

Yes, particularly noticeable at the restart after the safety car when I couldn't actually work our if LeClerc had gone or not - couldn't really see the acceleration out of the corner. Fastest lap 2021 was 1:28.997. Yesterday it was 1:34.570. 5.5 secs is a lifetime in F1, that is a huge slow down from last year. That said that is how new regulations work though and they'll get faster. Fastest Bahrain lap in 2018 was 1:33.740.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, particularly noticeable at the restart after the safety car when I couldn't actually work our if LeClerc had gone or not - couldn't really see the acceleration out of the corner. Fastest lap 2021 was 1:28.997. Yesterday it was 1:34.570. 5.5 secs is a lifetime in F1, that is a huge slow down from last year. That said that is how regulations work and they'll get faster. Fastest Bahrain lap in 2018 was 1:33.740.

Urrgghh. May as well put them in milk floats

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Due to Mercedes failing and the new report showing human error is it too late to go to court as Hammy might never get the 8th World Championship...........

Even if they went to court and won the case, Verstappen would still win the title. That's why Mercedes withdrew their appeal: there was no outcome that would actually deliver Hamilton the WDC. A court case would only have been able to void the whole race, in which case Verstappen still wins the title on count back (due to equal points going into the race).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If Ferrari are genuinely competitive for the whole season it'll be fascinating to see what they do with Leclerc and Sainz.

We know that Red Bull will put all their eggs in the Verstappen basket. Ferrari however have two very good drivers who were very hard to separate last season so do they risk letting them race and take points off each other thus potentially giving the title to Max or do they risk pissing off one of their drivers by choosing one driver as the lead man?

While 2021 Leclerc vs Sainz looked close on the surface, it really wasn't if you look a little deeper. Leclerc lost a lot more race day points than Sainz due to misfortune. In theory, with equal reliability, I expect the Bahrain situation to be the "normal" situation between Leclerc and Sainz. Sainz can and probably should get closer, and he can and probably should win races this year, but I fully expect when it comes to the decisive end of the season Leclerc should be far enough ahead that Sainz will be in the support role.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hard to just conclude the Merc PU is the problem because they may well need to be turning it down to prevent the porpoising as well as raising ride height. The Merc itself has the potential to be very fast if they can find a solution. They might not be too far off, and certainly nowhere near writing this season off by any stretch. Some cars might not have as much upgrade room as others.

Fantastic to see the red of Ferrari at front - especially with 2 such likeable drivers.

Do your horror no doubt, but I would agree with all of that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hard to just conclude the Merc PU is the problem

I was out for a short run immediately before the race, and listening to the 5Live and Sports Extra pre-race build-up.

As part of that, they played an interview with Toto, during which he described the car as "a missile", which I took as indicating that he's broadly happy with the PU.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

On being sluggish: The new cars, in the new rules, are going to be quicker in higher speed corners, and slower in low speed. The underfloor downforce generation doesn't work as well at low speed, so once you add that to the extra weight they become a bit cumbersome at low speed (for now - expect the teams will get on top of it eventually).

Tyres after pitstops: this year is the first year of a gradual phase-out of tyre warmers. The end goal is that tyres will be fitted to the cars cold and drivers responsible 100% for getting them up to temp. For this season, they've taken the step of reducing the allowing tyre warming down from 90 C to 70 C. For those who tried the Hard tyres especially, this proved to be quite a challenge.

McLaren: was indeed a big disappointment. I believe they're still having issues with their front brakes overheating and had to nurse them to get to the end. They had good pace in the first Barcelona test, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight back in coming races once they get on top of whatever it is that restricted them for Bahrain.

Aston Martin: they've got big problems with porpoising. Apparently, the setup compromises they had to make to get the car raceable cost them at least 0.5s per lap.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
While 2021 Leclerc vs Sainz looked close on the surface, it really wasn't if you look a little deeper. Leclerc lost a lot more race day points than Sainz due to misfortune. In theory, with equal reliability, I expect the Bahrain situation to be the "normal" situation between Leclerc and Sainz. Sainz can and probably should get closer, and he can and probably should win races this year, but I fully expect when it comes to the decisive end of the season Leclerc should be far enough ahead that Sainz will be in the support role.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I wonder how well Sainz will take that. Will he be happy in a supporting roll winning the odd race or will he become a bit of a diva? I can't actually imagine him being a diva but I also don't think he'll be happy as a number 2. It's an interesting subplot to the season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was out for a short run immediately before the race, and listening to the 5Live and Sports Extra pre-race build-up.

As part of that, they played an interview with Toto, during which he described the car as "a missile", which I took as indicating that he's broadly happy with the PU.

If I heard anyone describing an engine as a missile I'd steer well clear :rolleyes:

I've seen the mess made at 7500 rpm in a very short time . . . . double it is going to be like liquidised shit.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
On being sluggish: The new cars, in the new rules, are going to be quicker in higher speed corners, and slower in low speed. The underfloor downforce generation doesn't work as well at low speed, so once you add that to the extra weight they become a bit cumbersome at low speed (for now - expect the teams will get on top of it eventually).

Tyres after pitstops: this year is the first year of a gradual phase-out of tyre warmers. The end goal is that tyres will be fitted to the cars cold and drivers responsible 100% for getting them up to temp. For this season, they've taken the step of reducing the allowing tyre warming down from 90 C to 70 C. For those who tried the Hard tyres especially, this proved to be quite a challenge.

McLaren: was indeed a big disappointment. I believe they're still having issues with their front brakes overheating and had to nurse them to get to the end. They had good pace in the first Barcelona test, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight back in coming races once they get on top of whatever it is that restricted them for Bahrain.

Aston Martin: they've got big problems with porpoising. Apparently, the setup compromises they had to make to get the car raceable cost them at least 0.5s per lap.

Really slow though. I can't remember which turn it is, it's a sharp turn quite early in the lap, Watching them on that resembled my nan trying to get a Bentley out of a multi-storey car park. They just couldn't accelerate. I hope they can make major improvements to that, as it looks shocking

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Forgot to mention earlier: the retirements for Verstappen and Perez were the same issue. And it's an issue that Red Bull failed to detect in pre-season testing because they never did a full-race sim (or extending running at low fuel).

Apparently, the new fuel mix this year (E10) runs at a higher temperature than the previous fuel. As the fuel load decreases, it becomes more and more prone to vaporising and that can cause the fuel pumps to have problems (and, ultimately, to just stop working at all).

Red Bull will almost certainly have it resolved (even if only by running with a little more fuel in the tank, and then a permanent fix later) for the next race. I don't know whether the sudden stop as a result of fuel starvation will have any impact on the engines themselves. It really would be karma if they find themselves an ICE down after just one race and facing near-certain grid penalties later this year.

First time in 30 years I didn't watch the opening race, had it on just before the end to catch the Red bull incidents! I really hope Mercedes can resolve the deficit they have as basically I only really watch intensely when there's a Brit in with a chance of a win and we've been blessed for the last 10 years with Hamilton and before him Button. I also watched a lot in the Damon Hill era but tuned out completely when Schumacher dominated. I think these ever increasing rule and design changes every 3-4 years are great for F1 as we are seeing now after one race. As much as I hate Max Verstapen for his over agressive driving who seems happy to force cars off the road at will but cries like a baby when he's on the receiving end, he has made the last few years exciting

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Forgot to mention earlier: the retirements for Verstappen and Perez were the same issue. And it's an issue that Red Bull failed to detect in pre-season testing because they never did a full-race sim (or extending running at low fuel).

Apparently, the new fuel mix this year (E10) runs at a higher temperature than the previous fuel. As the fuel load decreases, it becomes more and more prone to vaporising and that can cause the fuel pumps to have problems (and, ultimately, to just stop working at all).

Red Bull will almost certainly have it resolved (even if only by running with a little more fuel in the tank, and then a permanent fix later) for the next race. I don't know whether the sudden stop as a result of fuel starvation will have any impact on the engines themselves. It really would be karma if they find themselves an ICE down after just one race and facing near-certain grid penalties later this year.

While Verstappen was able to coast into the pits - as you might expect with running out of fuel and the engine simply no longer producing power but the car still has forward momentum, Perez's engine appeared to seize up completely locking the wheels up and sending him into a spin. Was it the same issue but different results for each driver?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
While Verstappen was able to coast into the pits - as you might expect with running out of fuel and the engine simply no longer producing power but the car still has forward momentum, Perez's engine appeared to seize up completely locking the wheels up and sending him into a spin. Was it the same issue but different results for each driver?

Yes. Because of where they happened. Perez cut out mid corner in a slow corner, Verstappen in the faster section towards the end of the lap.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
I see that there has been a Houthi rocket attack on an Aramco facility in Jeddah whilst they were running FP1.

Yet another reason why F1 shouldn't be in Saudi Arabia.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just watching drive to survive season 4 episode 3. Silverstone.
Horner comes across as a complete c**t as always.
Sorry, not really relevant but thought it needed saying.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Wow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60880598

addabd3c11a2ba399a78913f62939456.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here