Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Ferrari are complaining about the Merc mirror design, although the exact complaint is non-specific beyond suggesting they're designed with an aero purpose (which is in theory not allowed). Thing is, other than being on top of that SIS wing thingy I don't see that they are much different from those of other teams.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'd been waiting for this. Really good explanation of a) why the Mercedes sidepod design is legal (odd thing - that wing with the mirror on it = sidepod legally), b) the benefits Mercedes are aiming for, and c) possible drawbacks of the design.

He introduces himself at the start of all his videos - he's an ex-Mercedes aero guy, so knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP6T1comENg

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'd been waiting for this. Really good explanation of a) why the Mercedes sidepod design is legal (odd thing - that wing with the mirror on it = sidepod legally), b) the benefits Mercedes are aiming for, and c) possible drawbacks of the design.

He introduces himself at the start of all his videos - he's an ex-Mercedes aero guy, so knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP6T1comENg
Thanks Audax - interesting stuff although there was a reasonable amount that went over my head - and I did struggle with his pronunciation of chassis as "chazzi" :lol:

In the Times today, they quoted Toto Wolff talking about the collaboration with the FIA over the radical new design. 'Wolff dismissed any claims of illegality surrounding the car and said the team had been working closely with the FIA to ensure it complied with the regulations. “The process is really clear, when you go in a specific development direction with your team, having the FIA scrutinising it, you are exchanging CAD [computer-aided design] data and making them part of the process.”

They also talk about an interview Ross Brawn did with F1TV: 'Brawn, the F1 motorsport director, said he had not “anticipated” the Mercedes design but admitted it was “impressive”.

“I think there’s no doubt that the Mercedes concept we didn’t anticipate, it’s a very extreme interpretation of the regulations,” Brawn said in an interview with F1 TV. “And I think inevitably there’s going be a lot of debate about their interpretation. That’s what happens with new regulations. However hard you try to close off all the options, and believe me, we closed off hundreds of them, the innovation in F1, it’s always extreme.”

Full article here (NB: Paywall)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Thanks Audax - interesting stuff although there was a reasonable amount that went over my head

Same here, but my understanding is improving now I've watched a few of his vids. He's done similar vids for all the car launches.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Horner seems to have back-tracked on his reported comments, based on what he said in lunchtime's press conference (reported on BBC):

In the news conference, Horner described the Mercedes as “interesting”, “innovative” and “extreme”, adding: “Whether we think it’s legal or not, yes, it looks like it ticks all the boxes.”

He was asked what had made him change his mind. “Comments have been quoted that weren’t made,” he replied. “It is an innovative solution. The Mercedes car looks like it complies with the regulations.”

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So those of you who have been keeping an eye on testing, are there any early conclusions, or points of interest?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No :rolleyes:

* I haven't been watching, but the silence is deafening. :lolol:

Watching a guessing game of who's trying, who's got extra bits on their car where nothing counts for points or watching England grind out an actual decent top order stand?

It was a tough choice so Mrs GB started binge watching some American crap off the TiVo box :rolleyes:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
At the moment it's hard to judge. It looks like the only team to do a low fuel hero lap so far was Haas last night with KMag.

General consensus so far seems to be that Ferrari are ahead. Then Merc, RB, and McLaren hard to judge in behind Ferrari. McLaren having front brake problems all test so far, so they're hard to judge.

RB with revised aero package for today. Merc supposedly having issues understanding how to get the best out of year car.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably can’t read much into this but it’s an interesting mix of times, not long before we go racing - Bahrain quali at 1500

Max Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:31.936 softs
Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.087 softs
Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +0.584 softs
George Russell (Mercedes) +0.593 softs
Fernando Alonso (Alpine) +0.941 mediums
Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +1.015 softs
Sergio Perez (Red Bull) +1.022 softs
Mick Schumacher (Haas) +1.149 mediums
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +1.208 mediums
Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +1.247 softs

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably can’t read much into this but it’s an interesting mix of times, not long before we go racing - Bahrain quali at 1500

Max Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:31.936 softs
Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.087 softs
Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +0.584 softs
George Russell (Mercedes) +0.593 softs
Fernando Alonso (Alpine) +0.941 mediums
Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +1.015 softs
Sergio Perez (Red Bull) +1.022 softs
Mick Schumacher (Haas) +1.149 mediums
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +1.208 mediums
Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +1.247 softs

Does make you wonder if the Mercs are sandbagging.

Typically I have agreed to take my daughter to the pier this afternoon to spend some time together as there is no football to take me away. It will almost certainly be an incident packed quali which produces a shake up of a grid :lol:

I have made it abundantly clear I'm watching the race tomorrow so that will be quite dull :wink:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Will and and see if the FIA actually release the report today and see what it says before deciding whether to watch.
I watched some of yesterdays practice and still just felt angry at the whole thing.
I'm not sure that my tv would survive the season watching that **** Horner being interviewed.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Does make you wonder if the Mercs are sandbagging.

They aren't. They've genuinely got problems with porpoising, car isn't working as well as Ferrari or Red Bull. Hamilton had DRS issues which slowed him, but I think Russell's time is representative of where they really are. Third row will be a good result for the Mercs.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Will and and see if the FIA actually release the report today and see what it says before deciding whether to watch.
I watched some of yesterdays practice and still just felt angry at the whole thing.
I'm not sure that my tv would survive the season watching that **** Horner being interviewed.

Whoever was in the seats at red bull I would struggle to want them to do well all the time Karen Horner is at the helm. Such a whining little prick I have been unable to watch the latest drive to survive as one episode in and I wanted to throw the tv out the window every time he came on screen

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Formula 1's governing body has said "human error" was responsible for the incorrect application of rules in the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

But the FIA said in its report into the controversial ending to last year's World Championship that race director Michael Masi had acted "in good faith".

Masi has since been removed from his post and F1 race control restructured.

The report by the FIA world motorsport council ruled the result and the World Championship "valid and final".

The report is final confirmation that Red Bull's Max Verstappen was the 2021 F1 world champion, not that that was ever expected to be in doubt in the process.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
George and Lewis having a right old ding dong - great to see two British drivers together in 1 team. Norris struggling a bit though which is a shame. This looks like it should be the Ferraris and Max as the front 3, but battle behind could be interesting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cracking lap by Leclerc. Mercs half a second off the pace, all the teams split in the top 10 which should make for a great race.

D

Deleted member 2719

Excellent Qualifying.

This season could even be better than last, Merc and McLaren need to get their act together, and then we will have a dream season.

Early days, can't wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here