Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was no way a U.S. team was going to be able to start the season with a Russian sponsor let alone Russian driver. Just been a few days getting their legals in order most likely. If they get a new driver who can keep the car on the track they might save a bit in car repair bills too.

:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apparantly Haas's Russian sponsor wants his money back. Interesting - will they pay it into a bank that's embargoed so he can't get at it (in Roubles of course!) or will haas have to pull out for lack if funds?

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
[...] weill haas have to ull out for lack if funds?

Won't happen. Uralkali's contribution to the team budget was apparently quite small. While it was important to help them through covid, it's small enough that Haas can cover it easily - especially now the budget cap is in place.

While on the topic of Haas. We know Mazepin is out (and reports now emerging that both Mazepin Snr and Jnr are on the latest EU sanctions list), but it appears the question of who is "in" might take a little longer to resolve (was originally expected to be announced today). Fittipaldi is now *not* expected to race at all, although he will take on test duties tomorrow (once they have the car ready to run after their freight was delayed by a broken plane). The two names now most commonly mentioned are Hulkenburg and Magnussen. Giovinazzi and even Piastri still get the odd mention as well.

Re: the Mercedes sidepods rumour ... I'm not sure I believe it. I am expecting there to be a lot of changes on their car for tomorrow, which may include slimmer sidepods, but the whole "no sidepods" thing sounds very far fetched and there's some knowledgeable experts suggesting it would be a very strange decision. The sidepods are apparently a key part of helping keep the wake from the front tyres away from areas where it would create drag / upset downforce generation.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If it couldn't be Piastri, then K Mag clearly the best choice.

Multi year deal apparently.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Haas have swapped a walking car crash for a competent midfield driver.

Kmag will best Schumacher in my view

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Won't happen. Uralkali's contribution to the team budget was apparently quite small. While it was important to help them through covid, it's small enough that Haas can cover it easily - especially now the budget cap is in place.

While on the topic of Haas. We know Mazepin is out (and reports now emerging that both Mazepin Snr and Jnr are on the latest EU sanctions list), but it appears the question of who is "in" might take a little longer to resolve (was originally expected to be announced today). Fittipaldi is now *not* expected to race at all, although he will take on test duties tomorrow (once they have the car ready to run after their freight was delayed by a broken plane). The two names now most commonly mentioned are Hulkenburg and Magnussen. Giovinazzi and even Piastri still get the odd mention as well.

Re: the Mercedes sidepods rumour ... I'm not sure I believe it. I am expecting there to be a lot of changes on their car for tomorrow, which may include slimmer sidepods, but the whole "no sidepods" thing sounds very far fetched and there's some knowledgeable experts suggesting it would be a very strange decision. The sidepods are apparently a key part of helping keep the wake from the front tyres away from areas where it would create drag / upset downforce generation.

I think this is best described as "almost no sidepods with additional cattle grid" :moo:

W13.JPG

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think this is best described as "almost no sidepods with additional cattle grid" :moo:

View attachment 145906

Yeah, this is more extreme than I was expecting. It's not "no sidepods" but they have very much minimised them to the point that the mandatory Side Impact Spar is shrouded in a fairing that creates a wing and not inside the sidepod at all. This is very much "out there" - will be interesting to see if it works. Few other views of it in the below tweet:

[tweet]1501796767813222404[/tweet]

Red Bull have also announced that their own upgrade package won't be on the car until tomorrow and Saturday, but like Mercedes it will be visually obvious.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not sure how reliable the 'rumours' are but could be interesting. I'm sure Slapper Spice's husband and his cronies will suck up to their mates at FIA and try get it banned!

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-rumours-radical-mercedes-w13-with-no-sidepods/

German publication Auto Motor und Sport claimed to have spoken to Horner in the paddock, stating he said: "The new Mercedes violates the spirit of the regulations. For us there are some parts that are not legal."

But Red Bull issued the following statement later on Thursday: "Christian Horner has not given any interviews regarding Mercedes' car. Any quotes being attributed to him this morning are incorrect".

However, Red Bull then issued another statement that seemed to suggest Horner had in fact spoken to the German publication: "Just so we're clear, we have made no official comment regarding Mercedes' car and will not be doing so."

So Horner lied! who would have thought?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am being vindictive here but I hope the Red Bull is an absolute dog this year. Oh what fun it will be listening to Max and Karen

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yeah, this is more extreme than I was expecting. It's not "no sidepods" but they have very much minimised them to the point that the mandatory Side Impact Spar is shrouded in a fairing that creates a wing and not inside the sidepod at all. This is very much "out there" - will be interesting to see if it works. Few other views of it in the below tweet:

Red Bull have also announced that their own upgrade package won't be on the car until tomorrow and Saturday, but like Mercedes it will be visually obvious.

Surely they don’t intend racing with those on do they? They look more like something to measure the aerodynamics.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

417C76A3-B34D-4EAC-B6BE-939A23F2DC2F.jpeg

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am being vindictive here but I hope the Red Bull is an absolute dog this year. Oh what fun it will be listening to Max and Karen

I remember the brilliant Alonso driving in a McLaren when they were rubbish, complaining over the radio about how slow the car was.
I would love to hear Mad Max whingeing on a similar line:)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember the brilliant Alonso driving in a McLaren when they were rubbish, complaining over the radio about how slow the car was.
I would love to hear Mad Max whingeing on a similar line:)

Max doing this would be better

F6CD1257-558D-47BE-B486-B3F7D16773EB.jpeg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Genuinely excited to see how all these different approaches the team's have taken match up with each other. I'm sure they will all merge together in time, but hoping the order gets really mixed up. And yes, with Red Bull battling with Haas and Alfa. A bit wishful I'd say.

We'll only really know who has a decent car in final qualifying at the first GP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here