Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
You can't use that one still image to judge that particular incident. Max didn't "cut him off". Roll forward several frames and you generate an image where Max has left Hamilton at least a car and a half space to use on the inside, and Hamilton hasn't used it. It was not unreasonable for Max to expect Hamilton to be a lot closer to the apex than he was. As I say, in hindsight it looks very bad for Max and it is very easy for us to say "he could/should have..." - but the reality is that you have to judge it while setting aside what we know actually happened. Max and Hamilton could go through the entry phase to that corner 100 times in similar positions and they'll get through just fine the vast majority of them. On that day, however, for whatever reason Hamilton misjudged his entry, ran well wide of the apex that he should have been hitting, and caused the contact that spun Max around.

Compare to the Hamilton pass on Leclerc at the same corner later in the same race. Leclerc also elected to run around the outside, left Hamilton space on the inside (less than Max did IMO), and they got through just fine - Hamilton backed off slightly more, hit the apex in the space Leclerc had left, and Leclerc ran wide on the exit handing the easy pass to Hamilton.

At the end of the day, as much as I really dislike Max, he was not to blame for that incident. It was 100% Hamilton's error, and Hamilton got lucky with the red flag. Without the red flag he wouldn't have finished the race either and the conversation right now would be very different.

I don't think Lewis miss judged his entry, he just braked late to get the run up the inside and was never going to make the apex, to which you don't have to make by the way (not a rule). He did give Max space on the outside (is a rule*) of the track who was on the faster race line and Max turned into Lewis when he could have ran wide on the track (Lewis left space) just like Charles did. I don't believe Max can say he didn't know Lewis was there either as from the footage and picture Lewis was almost level with Max, but Max being Max didn't give and caused the crash.

* well that's what I thought until Max ran Lewis of the track in Brazil, and now most the drivers are even confused on the rules after discussions on that incident.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't think Lewis miss judged his entry, he just braked late to get the run up the inside and was never going to make the apex, to which you don't have to make by the way (not a rule). He did give Max space on the outside (is a rule*) of the track who was on the faster race line and Max turned into Lewis when he could have ran wide on the track (Lewis left space) just like Charles did. I don't believe Max can say he didn't know Lewis was there either as from the footage and picture Lewis was almost level with Max, but Max being Max didn't give and caused the crash.

* well that's what I thought until Max ran Lewis of the track in Brazil, and now most the drivers are even confused on the rules after discussions on that incident.

Can't agree on that. If Lewis had taken the same line with Leclerc as he did with Max, Leclerc would have been heading into the same barrier Max said hello to. What you describe in your first sentence is the very definition of "miss judged his entry": he braked late (too late), and I would also add I believe he forgot that he had his car angled towards the outside of the track (both he hand Max were drifting towards the outside) at the point of turn in, and thus didn't get as much turn in towards the apex as he expected.

As I said in a previous post, put them through that corner many times and more often than not they both come out the other side just fine. Max was entitled to assume Hamilton would be closer to the apex, and I suspect watching it back Hamilton knows he got it wrong (he'll never admit it; no slight on Hamilton, it's just a rare F1 driver who admits fault for an incident like that).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

You are right. Max had plenty of space but wanted to put the ‘manners’ on Lewis so turned in on him knowing Lewis would probably break to avoid a collision. It was like a game of chicken but on this particular occasion, Lewis decided not to play by Max’s rules.

Lewis’ entry to the corner was so accute, he could not hug the apex, Max knew this and was relying on Lewis braking but he didn’t and Max got his comeuppance.

It was a big gamble by Lewis but it paid off.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You are right. Max had plenty of space but wanted to put the ‘manners’ on Lewis so turned in on him knowing Lewis would probably break to avoid a collision. It was like a game of chicken but on this particular occasion, Lewis decided not to play by Max’s rules.

Lewis’ entry to the corner was so accute, he could not hug the apex, Max knew this and was relying on Lewis braking but he didn’t and Max got his comeuppance.

It was a big gamble by Lewis but it paid off.

Everybody seems to be overthinking both situations. I don’t believe Lewis decided not to give way knowing that doing so would likely end in a serious crash for at least one of them together with possible injuries.

Likewise with MV and running Lewis off the track.

Both made split second decisions in the heat of the moment - suggesting that they had time to consider all the alternatives and the consequences for each before making a manoeuvre is to attribute superhuman powers to them both.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Jeddah track looks a bit bonkers - v fast and lots of walls / lack of run-off. I am worried that someone will set a pole time time in Q3 and 'accidentally' hit a wall bringing out the red flags - Lewis please go out early in Q3 and get a banker lap in!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZo0y_zYno

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/12484853/teds-show-tell-jeddah-corniche-circuit

It does indeed look bonkers! I wonder how many safety car periods there will be in the race...there's going to be so much debris when someone crashes (and I'm sure it will be when rather than if!) as there's a decent chance they'll hit both sides in a higher speed incident.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Jeddah track looks a bit bonkers - v fast and lots of walls / lack of run-off. I am worried that someone will set a pole time time in Q3 and 'accidentally' hit a wall bringing out the red flags

Not sure that worked out too well for Charles Leclerc in Monaco (although I'm not saying that was deliberate)

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I would say that was 100% deliberate! Up there with Schumacher and Rosberg’s Monaco antics. I think drivers should get their time deleted if they cause a red flag in a quali session- at present they are kind of incentivised to use it as a tactic and that is well dodgy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s like watching a video game. Scary as hell and plenty of places for clipping the armcos. This could be a safety car special

Frighteningly fast with loads of bendy bits

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure that worked out too well for Charles Leclerc in Monaco (although I'm not saying that was deliberate)

Hasn’t worked out well for him here either. That car is a write off isn’t it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
:lol:

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
LEWIS TAKES POLE! [emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Max impetuous yet again. To finish first, first you must finish.

Right LH- get out in front tomorrow and stay there [emoji1696]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
7900911978ecb45c5a7765fd134fe5f8.png

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Blimey, even the qualifying was full of drama. This really is shaping up to be an amazing season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Max just cracked under unbelievable pressure from Hamilton! Amazing scenes!!! Love it!

So predictable, just pushed too hard . . .silly boy should have known he got away with one early in the lap and was up . . . All he had to do was maintain previous. Cooked the golden goose.

Race will be interesting I'm sure

Anyway, there's a proper race in proper cars at a proper place on tonight.

https://www.supercars.com/mt-panorama-500/

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not for the first time, I feel someone more experienced in a title fight doesn’t do that. He accepts he made a mistake and backs out, takes third with an undamaged car and looks to work with that tomorrow. As it is he is third but at best there’s some repairs and at worst a new gear box and a five place drop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here