Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
At the end of the day they all walk away will millions in their pockets!
Next season should be interesting though, Russell at Merc, Lando hopefully in a competitive Maclaren and hopefully with Ferrari making it more than just a 2 team competition.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hindsight - isn’t it just a wonderful thing!

I don't know, I don't follow F1, this was a chance to get me hooked, unfortunately after watching what happened I find it facicle. Surely what I said would have been a better way of deciding the title. Surely whoever made the decision must of realised it would cause uproar, or is this a normal way in F1

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
At the end of the day they all walk away will millions in their pockets!
Next season should be interesting though, Russell at Merc, Lando hopefully in a competitive Maclaren and hopefully with Ferrari making it more than just a 2 team competition.

It would be great to be able to support a British team with a real chance of winning. :clap:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
100% correct, they must appeal.

If teams/drivers who are legitimately wronged just throw their collective hands in the air and let the race director do what he effing well likes, then this sport will be the big loser.

The late Charlie Whiting would have been turning in his grave watching the farce that Formula One rules have become under Masi, in almost every race in the latter part of the season rules have either been ignored or changed, almost to the point where team principles, drivers nor viewers actually know what is right or wrong.

I can see the appeal being found in Merc's favour with the outcome being no championship points for the two racers. That way, MV stays as champion on countback and the RD goes under a bus. You can't have someone trying to engineer an exciting finish. You make the same decision as you would with three laps gone, first race of the season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It would be great to be able to support a British team with a real chance of winning. :clap:

Red Bull is in Milton Keynes
Mclaren is in Woking
Aston is at the front door of Silverstone
Merc in Brackley
Alpine is in Enstone
Williams is at Grove
Even Haas has a base at Brackley.

Its only Alpha Romeo (Swiss) and Alpha Tauri and of course Ferrari (Italy) that isn't English.

All of these teams may have foreign owners or names but make no mistake the heart of F1 is very much in England.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Mercedes now the dust has settled are wondering what the best course of action is from here.

I think they want to appeal because firstly they feel aggrieved and secondly want to force some change in how races are managed.

However I don’t think they want to be the cause of MV having any title stripped from him. I doubt Lewis would want it presented to him now in this manner and it’s not a good look all round.

It’s a tough one, because I can’t help but feel if they walk away that this will all be brushed under the carpet and no drivers should be put in a situation like LH and MV were on Sunday. The rules should be clear, concise and the race director needs to apply them correctly

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a slight aside, for the F1 afficienado's here, I watched the Frank Williams film/doc on BBC iPlayer last night. Its excellent.

Carry on.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Red Bull is in Milton Keynes
Mclaren is in Woking
Aston is at the front door of Silverstone
Merc in Brackley
Alpine is in Enstone
Williams is at Grove
Even Haas has a base at Brackley.

Its only Alpha Romeo (Swiss) and Alpha Tauri and of course Ferrari (Italy) that isn't English.

All of these teams may have foreign owners or names but make no mistake the heart of F1 is very much in England.

Doesn’t really matter where they are based - they are not all British teams.

Try telling a German that Mercedes or an Austrian that Red Bull are British teams and the FIA that the British national Anthem and/or flag should be played on the podium.

Williams and McLaren are British based and whose parent companies are also British.

As a British fan with all other things being equal would you really support Mercedes over McLaren or Williams?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Neither McLaren or Williams are British owned.

Probably as much English in Ferrari!

Its utterly irrelevant anyway

McLaren Racing Limited and Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited are both British companies with varied shareholders.

As for relevancy - it is very much as relevant as the nationality of the drivers. F1 is a team sport, from the designers, the engineers, the pit crews, the drivers, the strategists etc. all need to be working like clockwork in order to win an F1 race. If it wasn’t relevant there wouldn’t be a constructor’s championship, (on which “prize money is based”), nor would the national anthem of the winning team be played on the podium.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Doesn’t really matter where they are based - they are not all British teams.

Try telling a German that Mercedes or an Austrian that Red Bull are British teams and the FIA that the British national Anthem and/or flag should be played on the podium.

Williams and McLaren are British based and whose parent companies are also British.

As a British fan with all other things being equal would you really support Mercedes over McLaren or Williams?

Merc as an organisation has Ken Tyrell DNA running through it - an ex RAF man - I can't get behind being the nationalistic element all the while the vast majority of employees from James Allison (chief engineer) to Bono (Pete Bonnington Lewis's engineer) are English or British. Likewise Red Bull is Paul Stewart racing re badged. Its as Austrian as a kilt. Names and car manufacturers come and go but there's one consistency from the 80s which is where all this is based out of and it is t Munich or Vienna.

In answer to your question, I'd support Williams in a straight fight but that's because I know people who work there. Laughably, that would probably play the Star spangled banner if they won again.

Bruce Mclaren by the way was from New Zealand.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I support the driver not the team so I have been a Williams fan, a Ferrari fan, a Mercedes fan, a Mclaren fan, a Brawn fan and an Alfa Romeo fan among others but never Red Bull, although I did waiver when Ricciardo was there prior to Max.

I am getting my Norris paraphernalia together for when Lewis retires :smile:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Merc as an organisation has Ken Tyrell DNA running through it - an ex RAF man - I can't get behind being the nationalistic element all the while the vast majority of employees from James Allison (chief engineer) to Bono (Pete Bonnington Lewis's engineer) are English or British. Likewise Red Bull is Paul Stewart racing re badged. Its as Austrian as a kilt. Names and car manufacturers come and go but there's one consistency from the 80s which is where all this is based out of and it is t Munich or Vienna.

In answer to your question, I'd support Williams in a straight fight but that's because I know people who work there. Laughably, that would probably play the Star spangled banner if they won again.

Bruce Mclaren by the way was from New Zealand.

How many posts have we seen on this thread supporting LH because he’s British? Doesn’t live in the UK nor pay tax here though.

Williams and McLaren who are based in the UK and registered as UK companies do pay UK tax unlike Mercedes or Red Bull.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sir Lewis Hamilton now

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
How many posts have we seen on this thread supporting LH because he’s British? Doesn’t live in the UK nor pay tax here though.

He does pay tax here.

Hamilton’s tax affairs are often used by right wingers (or those or are anti the BLM movement) to bash him, their assertions are usually backed by very little factual information.

What Lewis has said about tax:

“What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here,"

“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well.

"I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed."

“Those calling for Hamilton to be knighted argue that the 35-year-old is among the top 5,000 taxpayers in the UK despite his place of residence.”

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He does pay tax here.

Hamilton’s tax affairs are often used by right wingers (or those or are anti the BLM movement) to bash him, their assertions are usually backed by very little factual information.

“What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here,"

“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well.

"I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed."

“Those calling for Hamilton to be knighted argue that the 35-year-old is among the top 5,000 taxpayers in the UK despite his place of residence.”

Quite some time ago - check again ???

Personally I don’t care where he resides and in his position I’d do the same.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He does pay tax here.

Without getting too involved with the tax thing, sports stars pay 'local tax' on any winnings. I'm not sure what the tax rates are in the Middle East, but Sir LH would have paid tax in Abu Dhabi, therefor not having to pay tax in his country of residence. But of course, Sir LH is employed by Mercedes so the question now would be, where is their country of residence? All of this would bring us back to how many days a year is Sir LH in the UK for. His work schedule means very little time I would guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here