Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

f*** Off McGhee

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simster said:
I don't get all this anti-Taylor feeling. When he walked, he did so honourably. We had run away with the league and he waited until his contract expired. There's no shame in that. Since then, he's done the business at Hull where - incidentally - he does seem to have the stomach for a relegation battle.

I firmly believe he would have stayed if he had realised that bigger clubs weren't going to come running for his services off the back of one decent season in the third team - especially given the fact that he'd already spunked a fortune at Leicester.

Couldn't agree more. It's not as though he had another job to go to either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simster said:
I don't get all this anti-Taylor feeling. When he walked, he did so honourably. We had run away with the league and he waited until his contract expired. There's no shame in that. Since then, he's done the business at Hull where - incidentally - he does seem to have the stomach for a relegation battle.

I firmly believe he would have stayed if he had realised that bigger clubs weren't going to come running for his services off the back of one decent season in the third team - especially given the fact that he'd already spunked a fortune at Leicester.

The one thing that you gfail to add which I think is relevant in his defence is that he didnt think that the squad was good enough to stay up and said so.

The problem we have now has been ongoing for a few years and yes the reason is Withdean LDC etc but by now we should have learned to cope with those problems and moved on a little.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Simster said:

I've always thought Taylor was a cunt. He got us promoted, but using Adams' team and playing shit football. Then, because he had no balls - and no managerial talent - he jumped ship. He knew he didn't have it in him to cope with a poor ground, small attendances, lack of money.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
eastlondonseagull said:
I've always thought Taylor was a cunt. He got us promoted, but using Adams' team and playing shit football. Then, because he had no balls - and no managerial talent - he jumped ship. He knew he didn't have it in him to cope with a poor ground, small attendances, lack of money.
Well I'll respectfully disagree with you on that one. I thought the football was quality. The way we took Reading apart at WITHERS just about summed up that season. The football we played under Taylor seemed to be tight but always probing for openings in the final third. We rarely thrashed teams but often trotted out comfortable winners. We'll never know whether Adams would have won the league by 8 clear points (ahead of COPPELL's Brentford and Reading - a team with money and a 24,000 all seater), because he DID walk out mid-contract after whinging publicly that he was being overlooked at the likes of Southampton because of their preference for designer managers.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Simster said:
Well I'll respectfully disagree with you on that one. I thought the football was quality. The way we took Reading apart at WITHERS just about summed up that season. The football we played under Taylor seemed to be tight but always probing for openings in the final third. We rarely thrashed teams but often trotted out comfortable winners. We'll never know whether Adams would have won the league by 8 clear points (ahead of COPPELL's Brentford and Reading - a team with money and a 24,000 all seater), because he DID walk out mid-contract after whinging publicly that he was being overlooked at the likes of Southampton because of their preference for designer managers.

It's funny, the actual football does seem rather vague now. I just seem to recall thinking Taylor was far more negative than Adams and how we were scraping results. But Taylor angered me because he didn't appear to have any passion, no staying power at all, he left us in the lurch. Adams, on the other hand, left us in a healthy position.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
eastlondonseagull said:
It's funny, the actual football does seem rather vague now. I just seem to recall thinking Taylor was far more negative than Adams and how we were scraping results. But Taylor angered me because he didn't appear to have any passion, no staying power at all, he left us in the lurch. Adams, on the other hand, left us in a healthy position.

How can you say that Taylor left us in the lurch ? He left at the end of the season giving Dick Knight all summner to apoint a replacement. He also didn't have a contract. You may not have liked his style of football and I admit I didn't but you can't knock the bloke because unlike Adams and Coppell he didn't 'walk out' as such like they did for better things.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
eastlondonseagull said:
He was certainly more conservative than Adams, that is definitely true. But I don't think you can win a league easily by being "negative" as such. And did Taylor really leave us in the lurch? I'd have thought 3 months was ample time to bring in someone for the following season...

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
London Irish said:
The guy is at his wit's end at the moment trying to get blood out of a stone. The current job he's got is probably the hardest he's ever had in football, and the hardest in this league alongside Gradi's.

You just have to listen to McGhee's interviews to realise the pressure he's under. He has immense pride in his ability to get us out of this mess. There is no greater pressure than that which you put yourself under.

The likes of Peter Taylor never had that bottle to cope with the pressure of achieving annual miracles for this club, but our current superb manager does!

McGhee is the best! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Rousing stuff! Here here.Now, lets be done with this nonsense and get fired up for Leicester.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I agree with Simster on Peter Taylor in that he at least honoured his contract and left at the end of the season giving the club the whole of the close season to find a replacement.

The one thing I will say about Taylor though is that you never felt he would be around long anyway because he nearly always referred to the team as them, I don't think I ever heard him say us.

Probably means nothing but to me it looked like he was keeping himself somewhat detached from the club.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, i thought he was a yellow bellied greedy tosser.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
He was certainly more conservative than Adams, that is definitely true. But I don't think you can win a league easily by being "negative" as such. And did Taylor really leave us in the lurch? I'd have thought 3 months was ample time to bring in someone for the following season...

It was a long "lurch" :lolol:

Dick never got a replacement sorted out, though, and I've always partly blamed Taylor for that. Here we were, back to back Championships, a good side that needed further encouragement ahead of the biggest campaign of most of their lives, and the manager walks out because he doesn't think they're good enough and the ground's shit. Talk about knocking their confidence!

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brixtaan said:
Exactly, i thought he was a yellow bellied greedy tosser.
But if McGhee walks out at the end of his contract, it'll be the fault of the fans "hounding him out". You watch.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Taylor didn't walk out for better things? What nonsense - he left because he thought he'd get a job with the England team during the World Cup. He also thought that he could walk into another job on the back of his success at Brighton. Of course he left for better things (at least, he thought he was).

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Jim D said:
Taylor didn't walk out for better things? What nonsense - he left because he thought he'd get a job with the England team during the World Cup. He also thought that he could walk into another job on the back of his success at Brighton. Of course he left for better things (at least, he thought he was).

What he said

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't blame him if after all the effort you've put in you have someone shouting "f*** off you fat jocko clown" at you

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jim D said:

Unlike Messers Adams and Coppell he did not have a job to walk into and once again might I say that he never had a contract with us to start with. He was under no obligation whatsoever, The fact that Dick Knight dithered all summer about a replacement (especially as Coppell was readily available) had nothing to do with Taylor.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
bhaexpress said:
Unlike Messers Adams and Coppell he did not have a job to walk into and once again might I say that he never had a contract with us to start with. He was under no obligation whatsoever, The fact that Dick Knight dithered all summer about a replacement (especially as Coppell was readily available) had nothing to do with Taylor.

See my post above, BHAe. He walked out of a successful club into nothing - must have made the lads feel really good about themselves and about the forthcoming season. Taylor was a wanker.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No f*** off you !.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
junior said:
I realy hope he walk's after today.

Another f***ing defeat,NO goals scored.

No other club would put up with this.

I realy hope he does the decent thing and resigns before monday.

are you pissed mate?

who the f*** else are we gonna get to do better.

some people of 'ere have a f***ing short memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here