Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Experienced Defender.

It is my view that we are missing a player in the mould of Guy Butters in the team at the moment, a player with an experienced head on his shoulders. I think we are pretty much OK upfront and in midfield and we need someone experienced in defence.
I just had a quick trawl through the PFA site and searched for defenders over 24 on free transfers as that is all we could get at the moment, I have only listed players who have recently played in the Premier League or Championship.

Moritz Volz RB

Michael Ball LB

As you can see there are not many defenders available on a free at the moment, Gus is going to have to work with what he has got until January. Although if both these players signed for us I would be well pleased.

Claus Jorgensen and Nicky Southall are available too, but are they any better than what we have got in midfield already?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i dont think anyone would disagree that we need an experienced centre half he doesnt need to be flash or played in the prem but needs to have a few games under his belt and know how to defend.if we had this experienced centre half a left sided midfield player along with mcnulty and the fdm then i think we would be a decent side

markw

Aug 28, 2009
He sounds quality! fits in with our aim of becoming the best south american team in the world as well :smile:

I am sure Gus will have a few signings lined up in january. It is good that he is giving the players that he has got a chance and not making a hasty decision. They have until then to impress :shootself

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would love Basso here. One of my favourite keepers around!

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
he would be a good signing if Kuipers was out long term but he isnt and he wont want to come in at a number 2 so presents a problem.

Would much prefer us to sign an out of favour centre back in their early 30's to sort the defence out - there must be a few out there

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Michael Ball LB

ball-3.jpg

Well he's got to be better than El-Abd

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
he would be a good signing if Kuipers was out long term but he isnt and he wont want to come in at a number 2 so presents a problem.

Would much prefer us to sign an out of favour centre back in their early 30's to sort the defence out - there must be a few out there

That is a fair point. Basso is a quality keeper, well proven at this level. I would love to see him at Brighton. I can't think of any defenders that I would have at the moment.

When we came 7th in the league we had a fairly young defence (Richards, Lynch, Elphick, Whing) that had Guy Butters waiting in the wings. Maybe we would benefit from an older pro to guide the younger players on the training ground... I don't know. I guess that Tarrico may well be able to weave some magic once he has a one week period to work with the defence.

I don't think a lack of experience amongst the defenders is neccessarily a problem, as long as somebody is providing leadership on the pitch.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If he is fit, I would play Hawkins along side Tunnicliffe.

the reason why Elphick played so well for a while was that Butters was beside him giving him experience and advice.....with all due respect to Virgo, that is not going to happen with him and Elphick, therefore its time to change it.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Its not just the defenders,playing with the 2 wingers allows the midfield to sometimes be overrun.and outnumbered.This takes away the protection our defence should expect and certainly need .

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What classes as experienced though, Virgo has got SPL and championship experience but not exactly looking quality is he. We had a defence of Elphick and Lynch under Wilkins and that was solid. Have no idea what has gone on with Elphick but seems it has struck Hoyte going by the goals on Sat.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What classes as experienced though, Virgo has got SPL and championship experience but not exactly looking quality is he. We had a defence of Elphick and Lynch under Wilkins and that was solid. Have no idea what has gone on with Elphick but seems it has struck Hoyte going by the goals on Sat.

Great point. Experienced defender? How about a guy who has played over 200 senior games including a number in the Championship?

I give you ............... Adam El Abject

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here